Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Example of the Ignorance and Intolerance of Anti-gunners

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Example of the Ignorance and Intolerance of Anti-gunners - Page 2 Empty Re: Example of the Ignorance and Intolerance of Anti-gunners

Post by Marconius Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Gibraltar Arms makes one similar.

Example of the Ignorance and Intolerance of Anti-gunners - Page 2 Srm-arms-model-1216-shotgun-3-1

At over 2 grand, it is designed for LEO's and military.

While they look cool, if I can't hunt with them, I ain't interested. I can change out the home defense barrel on my Mossy and hit the woods.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Example of the Ignorance and Intolerance of Anti-gunners - Page 2 Empty Re: Example of the Ignorance and Intolerance of Anti-gunners

Post by Bryant Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Marconius wrote:Gibraltar Arms makes one similar.

Example of the Ignorance and Intolerance of Anti-gunners - Page 2 Srm-arms-model-1216-shotgun-3-1

While they look cool, if I can't hunt with them, I ain't interested. I can change out the home defense barrel on my Mossy and hit the woods.

Only use I have for a shotgun would be home defense (and if I need more than a few shots I'm probably doing something wrong!) and to play redneck on the weekend (however unlike most local rednecks, I don't shoot signs/equipment/standing trees/etc and I pick up my spent shells!).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Bryant wrote:

Only use I have for a shotgun would be home defense (and if I need more than a few shots I'm probably doing something wrong!) and to play redneck on the weekend (however unlike most local rednecks, I don't shoot signs/equipment/standing trees/etc and I pick up my spent shells!).

Man, I know this may sound funny considering where I am from, but y"all sure do have a lot of rednecks in Cali.......and they had the nerve to call us rednecks. There are no rednecks here. Only Coonasses and that is something totally different.

I'm surprised you don't have a pack gun. I always like to carry a pistol loaded with snake shot when I am tromping through the woods and y'all have a lot of dangerous snakes over there. I know the Judge is illegal over there, but a nice 38 or 44 special with snake shot is perfect. I carry a 44 special 5 shot revolver ever time I am in the woods......had to use it many times......even with snake boots......cotton mouths hit hard!!!!
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:

Man, I know this may sound funny considering where I am from, but y"all sure do have a lot of rednecks in Cali.......and they had the nerve to call us rednecks. There are no rednecks here. Only Coonasses and that is something totally different.

I'm surprised you don't have a pack gun. I always like to carry a pistol loaded with snake shot when I am tromping through the woods and y'all have a lot of dangerous snakes over there. I know the Judge is illegal over there, but a nice 38 or 44 special with snake shot is perfect. I carry a 44 special 5 shot revolver ever time I am in the woods......had to use it many times......even with snake boots......cotton mouths hit hard!!!!

We've got hordes of rednecks here, especially in the area I grew up in. Some even seem to have developed a psudo-southern accent. That said, our state was founded by miners, so what more would you expect! Also, the Central Valley of California was extensively settled by immigrants from Oklahoma and Arkansas during the Dust Bowl (I've even hears linguists argue that the way people speak in areas like Bakersfield is linguistically more like Oklahoma than many other parts of the state).

Most of the time I've been hiking and felt I needed a gun was when I was working for the Forest Service, however non-LEOs are not allowed to carry firearms. It was always fun knowing that most of the people up in parts of the Forest hate you (anti-government redneck types and Mexican drug cartel pot farmers) and the nearest LEO could be hours away... Rolling Eyes

The areas I usually recreationally hike in tend to be high enough elevation that pot farmers and snakes aren't huge issues. Besides, the only snake one really needs to worry about in this area are diamondback rattlesnakes (Crotalus oreganus, cousins of the ones you have down there), which have cytotoxic venom (as apposed to neurotoxic). If you get bit its not a fun situation, but if treated is non-lethal to most adults.

If I was going to do a lot of field work on my own time in remote areas between 1000-6000' elevation in the Sierra Nevada I'd probably go buy a revolver. So far, that need hasn't arose.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 pm

No worries about bears or mountain lions there?

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Oh and if i was limited to owning a shotgun, think id go with this one

Example of the Ignorance and Intolerance of Anti-gunners - Page 2 Aa12c

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 am

Pun wrote:No worries about bears or mountain lions there?

They killed off all the grizzly bears back in the early 1900s, so all we have left are the generally placid black bears. If you don't sleep with your food, try to pet/ride them, and avoid getting between a mother and her cubs you shouldn't be in any real danger. Give them their space and they'll leave you alone.

Mountain lions are a serious threat and a firearm with lots of stopping power could be useful against them, however as they're usually incredibly stealthy (you rarely see them, but they are around) and prefer to attack from ambush there is a good chance you wont have time to draw, aim, and shoot.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Bryant wrote:
Pun wrote:No worries about bears or mountain lions there?

They killed off all the grizzly bears back in the early 1900s, so all we have left are the generally placid black bears. If you don't sleep with your food, try to pet/ride them, and avoid getting between a mother and her cubs you shouldn't be in any real danger. Give them their space and they'll leave you alone.

Mountain lions are a serious threat and a firearm with lots of stopping power could be useful against them, however as they're usually incredibly stealthy (you rarely see them, but they are around) and prefer to attack from ambush there is a good chance you wont have time to draw, aim, and shoot.

PXP has a bunch of lions on there Lompoc property. We would see them on a regular basis, just before sunup. We really didn't have too much to worry about since the deer population is extremely thick as well. The fact that they seem to be loosing their fear of man is discormforting though. We never went out alone. Always in pairs at the least. We also left the truck radio fairly loud as well.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:13 pm

I think we may need a topic on the group page devoted solely to the discussion of guns lol

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Pun wrote:I think we may need a topic on the group page devoted solely to the discussion of guns lol

I agree. Will do.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2