Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey Bryant....

2 posters

Go down

Hey Bryant.... Empty Hey Bryant....

Post by Marconius Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:02 am

I gotta question for you buddy.

Have you heard of Dr. Thomas Gold from Cornell U???

If so do you have insight on how geologists feel about his theory???

If you do not know about him, please read the blog I linked below. Please forgive the Republican slant, I was linked to it as well and didn't really feel like searching for a less bias blog.

http://blogcritics.org/politics/article/is-oil-a-renewable-energy/

I myself have a few questions, specifically on the Eugene Island field. He quotes daily production rates, but does not give a field location. There are over 100 production platforms in Eugene Island and together they make more than 13000/day, but I do not personally know of one that makes that much by itself. I also know of 3D imaging. This is a fairly new tech involving reservoir mapping and allows us to see what is below older formations (which was not always possible). The big boys sold out of Eugene Island (and everything else on the shelf) in the late 90's early 00's. The development of 3D mapping has led to the rise of companies like Apache, Nexxen, and Anadarco to name a few. These upstarts are now getting higher production rates that the big boys did back in the day, but it is not from the same "hole" as the blog would lead us to believe, but from a "hole" that punches through the old formation and into one below it.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Hey Bryant.... Empty Re: Hey Bryant....

Post by Bryant Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Marconius wrote:I gotta question for you buddy.

Have you heard of Dr. Thomas Gold from Cornell U???

If so do you have insight on how geologists feel about his theory???

If you do not know about him, please read the blog I linked below. Please forgive the Republican slant, I was linked to it as well and didn't really feel like searching for a less bias blog.

http://blogcritics.org/politics/article/is-oil-a-renewable-energy/

I myself have a few questions, specifically on the Eugene Island field. He quotes daily production rates, but does not give a field location. There are over 100 production platforms in Eugene Island and together they make more than 13000/day, but I do not personally know of one that makes that much by itself. I also know of 3D imaging. This is a fairly new tech involving reservoir mapping and allows us to see what is below older formations (which was not always possible). The big boys sold out of Eugene Island (and everything else on the shelf) in the late 90's early 00's. The development of 3D mapping has led to the rise of companies like Apache, Nexxen, and Anadarco to name a few. These upstarts are now getting higher production rates that the big boys did back in the day, but it is not from the same "hole" as the blog would lead us to believe, but from a "hole" that punches through the old formation and into one below it.

I had not heard of him prior to reading your post. Research shows that while Dr. Gold was an accomplished astrophysicist, his hypothesis arguing in favor of abiogenic petroleum expressed a lack of understanding of the principles of structural and petroleum geology (in his defense, he didn't have access to many of the toys we would use today to analyze gas and liquid characteristics). Most (all?) of his arguments have subsequently been debunked. Linked is a paper published in the journal Economic Geology examining his claims and expressing their shortfalls.

Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:46 pm

thanks
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:56 pm

That article you linked is cool stuff for someone like me. While reading it, I could imagine oil production facilities on the moons of the outer planets of this solar system. I wonder what the pay would be??? I'd go in a heartbeat if the price were right.

Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down