Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey Bryant!

3 posters

Go down

Hey Bryant! Empty Hey Bryant!

Post by Dennis324 Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 pm

I been snooping through your facebook pics. Hey Bryant! 2506992396 Hey I didnt know you worked for the US Forest Service. That sounds cool! What sort of stuff do you have to do?
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Hey Bryant! Empty Re: Hey Bryant!

Post by Dennis324 Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Like your games too! Are you playing the Elder Scrolls? 'Oblivion' is one of my favorites. Great graphics. Also Civilization. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:22 pm

I've worked for the Forest Service off and on since 2009. I worked for the South Sierra Province Geologist. I was stationed in the Sierra National Forest (the Forest that I grew up on!) Supervisor's Office (the office that oversees both Ranger Districts) in Clovis (Fresno suburb). My supervisor was responsible for the geology program on the Sierra, Stanislaus, and Sequoia National Forests. The work that I did consisted of performing naturally occurring asbestos assessments, collecting water samples from wilderness alpine lakes (sadly, didn't have time to fish them), assess impact of roads and OHV trails on streams and meadows, conifer encroachment into meadows (many of our meadows have shrunk over the last 100 years due to fire suppression and poor watershed management practices), amongst lots of other things. I was just offered a summer job on a Forest in Oregon, however I'm not certain what I would be doing or if I'm going to accept it.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Dennis324 wrote:Like your games too! Are you playing the Elder Scrolls? 'Oblivion' is one of my favorites. Great graphics. Also Civilization. Smile

I like Civilization. I haven't played Oblivion in about a year, however I do play Skyrim off and on. I rock a high elf. That said, I'm not terribly fond of either the empire or the rebels.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:58 am

I have Knights of the nine and Shivering Isles in one game (for PS3). But I havent advanced far enough to get to the Shivering Isles yet.

I'm playing an Impirial knight but have picked up some security stuff along the way. He sneaks about pretty well too and is kinda like Batman. Lol!

But I found out that getting rid of vampirism is a bear. Screwed my character all up coz there's a bug and you really cant get rid of it in my game, so I had to start all over.

I also decided to play an assasin in another game. Funny, he advanced along very quickly. Much faster than my knight.

I used to play D&D when I was in the Navy (coz it could get soooo boring out at sea). This is the best game I've found up to now that lets you play open-ended adventures and has terrific graphics and AI.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 am

Bryant wrote:I've worked for the Forest Service off and on since 2009. I worked for the South Sierra Province Geologist. I was stationed in the Sierra National Forest (the Forest that I grew up on!) Supervisor's Office (the office that oversees both Ranger Districts) in Clovis (Fresno suburb). My supervisor was responsible for the geology program on the Sierra, Stanislaus, and Sequoia National Forests. The work that I did consisted of performing naturally occurring asbestos assessments, collecting water samples from wilderness alpine lakes (sadly, didn't have time to fish them), assess impact of roads and OHV trails on streams and meadows, conifer encroachment into meadows (many of our meadows have shrunk over the last 100 years due to fire suppression and poor watershed management practices), amongst lots of other things. I was just offered a summer job on a Forest in Oregon, however I'm not certain what I would be doing or if I'm going to accept it.
Wow..that sounds like real work. Leave to an employer to take the fun of the great outdoors out of it. Lol! I didnt know asbestos was naturally occuring.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:45 am

Dennis324 wrote:I have Knights of the nine and Shivering Isles in one game (for PS3). But I havent advanced far enough to get to the Shivering Isles yet.

I'm playing an Impirial knight but have picked up some security stuff along the way. He sneaks about pretty well too and is kinda like Batman. Lol!

But I found out that getting rid of vampirism is a bear. Screwed my character all up coz there's a bug and you really cant get rid of it in my game, so I had to start all over.

I also decided to play an assasin in another game. Funny, he advanced along very quickly. Much faster than my knight.

I used to play D&D when I was in the Navy (coz it could get soooo boring out at sea). This is the best game I've found up to now that lets you play open-ended adventures and has terrific graphics and AI.

I played the PC version. Performance wasn't too bad considering that it was played on a mac (I partitioned the hard drive, which allows me to boot up in either OSX or XP; only problem is that macs tend to have less ram and lower processing speed because OSX doesn't demand as much from the computer). Nights of the Nine was fun, but I never finished Shivering Isles. Shivering Isles is, quite literally, insanity.

If you get a chance to get a hold of a cheap copy of Skyrim I highly recommend it. Its more than a worthy addition to the saga. One of the main differences between the two games is the importance of your decisions on game outcome. When the game starts Skyrim is locked in a civil war between the Empire and the Stormcloak. Both sides have a lot to dislike. As a condition of a truce following a crushing defeat to the nazi-esque Aldmeri Dominion, the Empire banned worship of Talos, the most important god to most inhabitants of Skyrim. In response several nords (the 'native' population of Skyrim) rebelled, however these folks are hypocrites and white supremacists. There are several cities and forts in Skyrim, and depending on which side of the civil war you support (you can also remain neutral), one side or the other will eventually take over everything. The decisions you make even early on will be reflected in how NPCs treat you. The scenery is incredible (unfortunately this was pushing my computers abilities, so I had to turn down the graphics setting to min) and the story line epic.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:49 am

I tried those Morrowwind games, but I cant get into them for long. My son says he is addicted Skyrim. I keep on trucking with my Total War games. Hell I'm still playing Medieval Total War 2. Waiting for the Europa Barbarum 2 mod for it. The EB mod for Rome total war was the best ever and even though MTW2 is now almost 7 years old, the EB mod still isnt ready. They put a lot of time into it. Rome Total War 2 looks like it will be amazing.

Other than that I play Steel Panthers. That is a conversion of the old squad leader board game. Since it came out in the mid 90's it aint much to look at. Just a board game put on the PC. Game play is excellent. Nothing like trying to push through the hedgerows only to be met with a squad of PzKw-VI's. That is the Panther tank for those that don't know. Best all around tank in WWII. Not as heavy as the Tiger but has a gun just as deadly and is more manueverable. I do not see how US armor held up to what the Germans had. Thank you Russians for destroying the bulk of them.

I also am addicted to whatever version of NCAA football is the latest. Been buying it for over a decade now. Most like Madden but the college version is much harder. There is a certain satisfaction of taking a team like Fresno or ULL, building them up over time and becoming a version of Boise State.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Man, we used to bring our poles with us when we worked in some of the outta the way places in Louisiana. We would bust ass, get ahead of schedule so that we could go fishing for a day and still have work to charge for. Since I was the rep on tye job site, there was no body to tell us we couldn't. I guess that is one of the reasons my crews loved working for me. I am a hardass, but will readily reward you for hard work. Hell we even took one day and went squirrel/rabbit hunting once. Yes Bryant, we can eat the squirrels back here. We dont have those nasty, parasite infested ground squirrels yall got over there. I did enjoy sitting outside the bqck of my buddy's house outside of Nipomo, drinking brew, and popping those ground squirrels with his new .17 Hornet. If I had a use for that caliber, I'd buy one, but it destroys those little squirrels. If I used it here, it would destroy too much meat on small game.

My dad worked for US dept of soil conservation. We used to talk a lot about problems facing our ecosystem these days. He is firm believer that watershed damage and the current zero toleranc toward wildfires are both at the top of his list. He said he worried more about changes in watershed due to roads and subdivisions more than things like pollution. Like he said, "more times than not, pollution can be cleaned up. Changes to watershed is almost permanent". Almost all flooding in my area is caused by cuanges in watershed due to I-10. It made an effective dam just south of us.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Marconius wrote:
Man, we used to bring our poles with us when we worked in some of the outta the way places in Louisiana. We would bust ass, get ahead of schedule so that we could go fishing for a day and still have work to charge for. Since I was the rep on tye job site, there was no body to tell us we couldn't. I guess that is one of the reasons my crews loved working for me. I am a hardass, but will readily reward you for hard work. Hell we even took one day and went squirrel/rabbit hunting once. Yes Bryant, we can eat the squirrels back here. We dont have those nasty, parasite infested ground squirrels yall got over there. I did enjoy sitting outside the bqck of my buddy's house outside of Nipomo, drinking brew, and popping those ground squirrels with his new .17 Hornet. If I had a use for that caliber, I'd buy one, but it destroys those little squirrels. If I used it here, it would destroy too much meat on small game.

I have a teacher at Fresno State who is an avid fisherman, and he was always fond of telling me how good the fishing was at most of the lakes I sampled. I wish we would have had time to fish (I have a small 4-piece ultralight pack rod for just that type of occasion), however when Uncle Sam owns your time you've got to be as efficient as possible. It was always get to the job sight as quickly as possible, get the job done, and get back to the office in the same manner. The only break would be a 30 for lunch. If I worked for a private company and the boss didn't mind I would be glad to take a 60 off the clock to fish.

My dad worked for US dept of soil conservation. We used to talk a lot about problems facing our ecosystem these days. He is firm believer that watershed damage and the current zero toleranc toward wildfires are both at the top of his list. He said he worried more about changes in watershed due to roads and subdivisions more than things like pollution. Like he said, "more times than not, pollution can be cleaned up. Changes to watershed is almost permanent". Almost all flooding in my area is caused by cuanges in watershed due to I-10. It made an effective dam just south of us.

Was your dad a soil scientist? What did he think of the word 'dirt?' I very conditionally agree with his observation. Sometimes water and soil pollution can be fairly easily cleaned up, however air pollution is much more difficult/impossible. The difficulty of watershed restoration is scale dependent. Small scale restorations are not uncommon, however can get a little expensive depending on the type of damage and remediation. I've worked on a couple projects that will likely result in watershed restorations, however these are smaller water bodies (the concern being damage to meadows, which are both important for ecology as well as water management, healthy meadows are like sponges that soak up water during winter and release it slowly throughout the summer and fall). Restorations of larger water bodies (like entire rivers) is much more challenging and insanely expensive.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 pm

What brand ultalite do you have??? I would guess it is a fly rod. I'm kinda wanting a packable rod, but I ain't too good with a fly rod. There isn't anywhere to trout fish around here. Some people use fly rods for bluegill and crappie, but I never did.

Nah, my father was a mechnical engineer who worked all his life as a civil engineer. Believe it or not, many of us do not get jobs for what we studied.

I would like to add that air pollution can be scrubbed as well, if not better than, other types. It just doesn't fit in with the current frame of mind that many people have. If we cleaned the pollution outta the air and water......the extreme econazis that lead the green movement would lose all ground to stand on. We can't have that.

Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Have you been involved with any top soil restoration projects??? That is a big concern down here. We in middle America are losing top soil at an alarming rate.

Of course with my father now retired, I am not as well versed on the subject as I used to be.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Marconius wrote:What brand ultalite do you have??? I would guess it is a fly rod. I'm kinda wanting a packable rod, but I ain't too good with a fly rod. There isn't anywhere to trout fish around here. Some people use fly rods for bluegill and crappie, but I never did.

Nah, my father was a mechnical engineer who worked all his life as a civil engineer. Believe it or not, many of us do not get jobs for what we studied.

I would like to add that air pollution can be scrubbed as well, if not better than, other types. It just doesn't fit in with the current frame of mind that many people have. If we cleaned the pollution outta the air and water......the extreme econazis that lead the green movement would lose all ground to stand on. We can't have that.

The ultralight 4 piece pack rod is just an Eagle Claw. Its for a spin reel, not fly (while I'd love to learn, I don't know hoe to fly fish). I doubt it would work too well for bass or catfish, but its great for <18" trout (any more than that and the rod gets too floppy). If the lake I'm going for only has brook trout (tend to be 8-14") its a great rod and keeps things exciting (you can really feel the brook trout fight). If I expect larger trout I bring my two piece shakespear light weight rod.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Marconius wrote:Have you been involved with any top soil restoration projects??? That is a big concern down here. We in middle America are losing top soil at an alarming rate.

Of course with my father now retired, I am not as well versed on the subject as I used to be.

I don't think we really have soil loss problems out here. That said, my soils background is really weak. I'm lucky if I can tell the A, B, and C horizons.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:I have Knights of the nine and Shivering Isles in one game (for PS3). But I havent advanced far enough to get to the Shivering Isles yet.

I played the PC version. Performance wasn't too bad considering that it was played on a mac (I partitioned the hard drive, which allows me to boot up in either OSX or XP; only problem is that macs tend to have less ram and lower processing speed because OSX doesn't demand as much from the computer). Nights of the Nine was fun, but I never finished Shivering Isles. Shivering Isles is, quite literally, insanity.

If you get a chance to get a hold of a cheap copy of Skyrim I highly recommend it. Its more than a worthy addition to the saga. One of the main differences between the two games is the importance of your decisions on game outcome. When the game starts Skyrim is locked in a civil war between the Empire and the Stormcloak. Both sides have a lot to dislike. As a condition of a truce following a crushing defeat to the nazi-esque Aldmeri Dominion, the Empire banned worship of Talos, the most important god to most inhabitants of Skyrim. In response several nords (the 'native' population of Skyrim) rebelled, however these folks are hypocrites and white supremacists. There are several cities and forts in Skyrim, and depending on which side of the civil war you support (you can also remain neutral), one side or the other will eventually take over everything. The decisions you make even early on will be reflected in how NPCs treat you. The scenery is incredible (unfortunately this was pushing my computers abilities, so I had to turn down the graphics setting to min) and the story line epic.
Wow, you mean I could actually play a white supremacist? Lol! Seriously though, the game sounds fun and I'mma look for a used copy on amazon. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:09 pm

My son told me that Skyrim draws a lot of influence from the "Wheel of Time" series of books. How true is that???

I really did love those books. Damn long series but worth it.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:48 pm

Marconius wrote:My son told me that Skyrim draws a lot of influence from the "Wheel of Time" series of books. How true is that???

I really did love those books. Damn long series but worth it.

I'm not familiar with those books, what are they about? Outside of Tolken and Terry Brooks's works, I'm quite poorly read.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down