Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Government be involved in Marriage

4 posters

Go down

Should Government be involved in Marriage Empty Should Government be involved in Marriage

Post by Marconius Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Why should government, at any level, be involved in regulating marriages??? Is marriage nothing more than a simple contract between two peoples??? If we removed regulations, then anybody could marry anyone they so chose (as long as they were consenting adults). We wouldn't be bothered with the sideshow we have now.

Taxes could be simplified.
Property transition at death could be simplified.
Even medicare could be simplified (even though I may not agree with medicare, it is here.....let's simplify it).
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Should Government be involved in Marriage Empty Re: Should Government be involved in Marriage

Post by Sir Pun Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 pm

I agree

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Should Government be involved in Marriage Empty Re: Should Government be involved in Marriage

Post by Bryant Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:13 pm

As it is a legal contract it has to be regulated by the government to some extent. If the government was not involved, then the act of entering into the contract could not affect taxes, inheritance, etc. That said, I agree with the gist of Marc's sentiment.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 pm

The one thing i thought abt though is what would it mean for divorce proceedings?' There would have to be some form of arbitration for those who didnt submit to whatever rules of the church that marries them, or i guess "recognizes" it.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:43 pm

But its not like the gubment is gonna let go of that anyway, so...

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Well, ya'll know what I think, so...
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Pun wrote:The one thing i thought abt though is what would it mean for divorce proceedings?' There would have to be some form of arbitration for those who didnt submit to whatever rules of the church that marries them, or i guess "recognizes" it.

Yes, and thats a topic that transcends the topic of same sex marriage. How many married, atheist or agnostic couples are there in the United States? It does seem popular (at least in some circles) to treat marriage as a religious institution, and in some aspects it can be; however the constitution of a marriage contract can be entirely secular.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down