Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The bible

4 posters

Go down

The bible Empty The bible

Post by Sir Pun Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:08 am

So ive watched the first two episodes of this miniseries on history and i have to say its pretty good. The only thing that mind of made me scratch my head is that sampson and his mother mustve been the only two black israelites

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

The bible Empty Re: The bible

Post by Dennis324 Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:06 pm

I have them recorded, but havent watched yet. I did see a commercial showing a black Samson.

Dr. Andrew Vaughn, executive director of the American School for Oriental Research located at Boston University and an expert in the Hebrew Bible, told The Christian Post that while Samson was probably not black. "Historically, the Bible describes Samson's parents as Israelites from the tribe of Dan, so it is unlikely that the historical Samson would have been so dark skinned."

Then again, Moses probably didnt look like Charlton Heston either. Smile

There was a comic book in the 70s called 'Black Samson' and I wonder if this may be why the producers cast a black actor in the role.

Samson was from the tribe of Dan. They were a seafaring people, unusual for the Israelite tribes. In the Song of Deborah the tribe is said to have stayed on their ships with their belongings. Ethiopian Jews claim descent from the tribe of Dan. Dan was a son of Jacob and one of Sarah's handmaidens. He was said to be the one who came up with the idea of smearing Joseph's coat with blood. And he is portrayed as plotting with the Egyptian crown prince, against Joseph.

The tribe of Dan were said to be black sheep and wicked because they didnt follow the traditions of the Nazarites.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:56 am

So i wonder if they did that for that reason. Another thing they intimated twice, though without showing it or saying it outright, is gods messenger to abraham and someone else is jesus.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:19 pm

I saw the first episode last night and yeah its pretty good! Its a 'Cliff's Notes' abbreviated telling of the Bible, but I understand that there is just no way a tv show could get into all the details on such a large complex book.

I noticed also what you refer to about God's messenger. I suspect the reason they did this is that there are some who think that maybe...maybe one of these angels who visited Abraham was in fact...Jesus. I think he's called the Angel of the Lord in the Bible, I forget.

I liked the 1st episode but I do thin Cecil B DeMille did a better job showing the parting of the Red sea. Very Happy (Hard to beat Charleton Heston as Moses, this this actor did a pretty good job). Also the person playing Pharoh sounded strangely like Yule Brenner. Lol!

Some of the incidents they portray seems to be speculative I think. I cant remember without looking it up, but the Angels defending Lot and his family, I dont think are depicted as being kung-fu martial artists in the Bible. Lol! But I guess thats just the way the producers thought they could get across to us how terrifying and powerful these angels were.

I also noticed that they refrained from getting into any detail over what the people of Sodom wanted these Angels for. The Bible mentions that those perverted people wanted them for sexual reasons...ie...to rape them. The tv show left that bit out I think. This was probably done for PC reasons. And that Lot offered to give them his daughters instead because the angels were his guests and under his protection. Thats a part of the scruiptures that is hard to understand...very disturbing to our 21st century sensibilities.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Yeah i noticed that about the angels and lott too. I believe all the bible says is that they blinded the people and fled the city, so the fighting was just an embellishment. And im sure they didnt want some controversy overshadowing the series. I liked how they skimmed over noah telling the story of abraham and then of course they covered moses in depth, but i still cant figure out why they devoted so much time and detail into the story of samson which i believe is ep2. They also ddnt talk about lotts daughters getting him drunk and having sex with him thinking they were the last on earth and had to repopulate.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Pun wrote:They also ddnt talk about lotts daughters getting him drunk and having sex with him thinking they were the last on earth and had to repopulate.

Well, Bill Mahr didnt produce this series. If he had, you can bet that part would have been in there...in detail. lol!
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08 am

Dennis324 wrote:
Pun wrote:They also ddnt talk about lotts daughters getting him drunk and having sex with him thinking they were the last on earth and had to repopulate.

Well, Bill Mahr didnt produce this series. If he had, you can bet that part would have been in there...in detail. lol!

I tried to watch Bill Mahr's religion movie once. Made it about half way (if that), got annoyed and turned it off.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

I tried to watch Bill Mahr's religion movie once. Made it about half way (if that), got annoyed and turned it off.

I would love 10 minutes with Bill.......without him being backed up by his writers.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:18 am

Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

I would love 10 minutes with Bill.......without him being backed up by his writers.

The bible 243528269
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:41 am

Amazing what kind of idiots get their own show

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:55 am

Adrian brody as daniel? Impressive!

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:14 pm

Is someone sending a message???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/the-bible-satan-obama_n_2900509.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

Most definitely not, but striking resemblance.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Lol i ddnt even think abt that till hearing this, but yeah the mole and everything lol

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down