Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten

4 posters

Go down

Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten   Empty Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten

Post by Sir Pun Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:17 am

Chicago Public Schools is considering a new proposal that would begin teaching sexual education in kindergarten.
MyFoxChicago.com reports that the district's proposal follows "national sexuality education standards" and addresses sexual orientation and bullying for the first time.
Under the proposed policy, younger students will learn about appropriate and inappropriate touching and feelings, according to a district news release. Students in fourth grade will learn about puberty and the HIV virus.
Instruction for children in fifth grade and above will focus on reproduction, contraception, and the transmission and prevention of HIV/AIDS, among other topics, the news releases states.
Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett said the new program will provide children with age-appropriate knowledge that can guide them throughout their lives.
"It is important that we provide students of all ages with accurate and appropriate information so they can make healthy choices in regards to their social interactions, behaviors, and relationships," Byrd-Bennett said in a statement.
The proposed policy has been met with mixed reaction from parents in the school district.
"I just don't think it's appropriate," Melissa Diebold, a parent with children in the district, told MyFoxChicago.com. "I don't think its age appropriate. They have no concept of anything like that at that stage in life."
Another parent, Mikkel Nance, told the station he believes sex education should start at home but applauds the district for getting involved early on.
"[T]he only concern is how they implement it, and if they involved parents in that process and if they do so they'll make that transition smoothly," he said.
Parents will be able to opt out of having their children participate in the program, according to a district news release.
If approved by the Chicago Board of Education, the new program would be implemented by 2016, according to the station's report.

thoughts?

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten   Empty Re: Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten

Post by Marconius Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 pm

I sure hope this doesn't spill over into nap time. I sure did like my naps in kindergarten.

Seriously, that is a little young to start sex ed and a little late to teach about bullying IMO.

Of course bullying and sex ed really don't do any good. That stuff is supposed to come from home. The fact that bad behavior is easier to teach than good behavior coupled with the amount of parents out there who just have kids for the free ride(anybody can say what they want, I personally know a bunch of those people) and you get a society that begins to not care.

Besides, how the hell can anyone stop bullying??? Really I want to know. Everyone.....and I mean everyone.....in this world has been both a bully and the victim of a bully at one point in their life. It is nature. We see it readily in nature. You cannot get rid of instinct......it don't matter what you try.

Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten   Empty Re: Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten

Post by Dennis324 Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Those kids are too young. Most of these kids probably dont really know where babies come from yet and believe in Santa.

Childhood ought to be fun and a life filled with wonder and excitement. They should be concerned with learning how to color and make macaroni art. Of storytime and lots andlots of play.

I would also love to see children being taught to be good children, be nice to others, good citizenship etc. Maybe start teaching them the ABCs and some reading skills. This is yet another reason I wish the govt would allow vouchers so parents could send their kids to whatever school they want, even if they are poor. I know I wouldnt want my 4 year old exposed to some idiot activist who thinks its her responsibility to talka bout this stuff to the kids.

Whoever's idea this was ought to be severely reprimanded, if not fired outright. This is on someones agenda, probably learned from some left wing nutty professors while they were in college.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Dennis324 wrote:Those kids are too young. Most of these kids probably dont really know where babies come from yet and believe in Santa.

Childhood ought to be fun and a life filled with wonder and excitement. They should be concerned with learning how to color and make macaroni art. Of storytime and lots andlots of play.

I would also love to see children being taught to be good children, be nice to others, good citizenship etc. Maybe start teaching them the ABCs and some reading skills. This is yet another reason I wish the govt would allow vouchers so parents could send their kids to whatever school they want, even if they are poor. I know I wouldnt want my 4 year old exposed to some idiot activist who thinks its her responsibility to talka bout this stuff to the kids.

Whoever's idea this was ought to be severely reprimanded, if not fired outright. This is on someones agenda, probably learned from some left wing nutty professors while they were in college.

Whats wrong about teaching young children what kind of touching is NOT ok? Telling the kids 'let teacher know if someone touches you here' isn't going to hurt the kids, but it might end molestation. Frankly, I have no objection to teaching kids how the human body works at any age, instead of filling their heads with nonsense to protect their 'innocence.' The demystification of the human body might well go a long way to help solve many of these problems.

On other topic, distribution of AIDS. Guess what areas have high concentrations of AIDS? Thats right, mostly states with either high Catholic populations (no protection) or abstinence only sex ed!

Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten   HIV-diagnosis-map-e1362145984877
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:Those kids are too young. Most of these kids probably dont really know where babies come from yet and believe in Santa.

Whats wrong about teaching young children what kind of touching is NOT ok? Telling the kids 'let teacher know if someone touches you here' isn't going to hurt the kids, but it might end molestation.
I didnt say 'dont teach kids how to be safe' from pedophiles and kidnappers. Very Happy But thats different from teaching kids how to actually have sex, what condoms are and how to use birth control.

I don't think they ought to be teaching little kids how to have sex...

Last edited by Dennis324 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:03 pm

I think the one reason i dont care is because of the opt out.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Bryant wrote:
On other topic, distribution of AIDS. Guess what areas have high concentrations of AIDS? Thats right, mostly states with either high Catholic populations (no protection) or abstinence only sex ed!

Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten   HIV-diagnosis-map-e1362145984877
You know what I see on this map? The areas with the lowest amount of HIV concentrations also happen to be mostly areas of the nation where there are smaller populations. But areas with higher populatons have higher concentrations of HIV/Aids. Plus I thought Cali and NY were very liberal-minded and did teach sex ed. Chicago public schools may start sex ed in kindergarten   1682934726
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down