Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad News for Gas Prices

4 posters

Go down

Bad News for Gas Prices Empty Bad News for Gas Prices

Post by Marconius Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:11 pm

As well as extremely bad news for the Virgin Isles. My son is there working (not in the refinery). I hope this doesn't affect him that much, but I fear that is just fool's hope. To add to that, this is one of the world's largest refineries. Gas prices are most likely gonna rise (sorry Dennis).

Hess refinery in St. Croix to close next month:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Major-oil-refinery-close-US-apf-3494794175.html

In this global market, somebody has to buy this thing..............right???
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Bad News for Gas Prices Empty Re: Bad News for Gas Prices

Post by Bryant Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:42 pm

Thats one of the reasons why I don't want to work for an oil company. While things are good the pay is great, but as soon as prices drop the pink slips flow. Most companies have zero loyalty to their employees (with Oxy being the worst).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Bryant wrote:Thats one of the reasons why I don't want to work for an oil company. While things are good the pay is great, but as soon as prices drop the pink slips flow. Most companies have zero loyalty to their employees (with Oxy being the worst).

Eh, it depends. I don't know how they are handling the general laborers in St. Croix. They will most assuredly be let go, but I do not know if severances will be paid. That is typically the case here in the states. Contractors (like me) are let go. Don't feel bad for most of us. I typically get a small severance due to my position (fair or not). Most do not end up unemployed since they are contractors and their company just moves them to the next contract. Company men however get good packages to compensate. A geologist such as you would never want for a job or money again.

Of course I have no experience on the drilling side and have never been around a refinery closure so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:21 pm

The way things are now though, if the refinery had been in Russia and it closed, gas prices would probably rise. Consumers are just screwed. Personally I wish the oil folks would build some refineries here in alabama and put some of us to work. But I guess there are rules and red tape in the way.

Wow, you son works in St Croix? Sho feel sorry for him (not really). Lol! I spent some time in St Thomas and still have memories of sipping on daquaires under the palm trees and listening to the Island music. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:56 am

Dennis324 wrote:
Wow, you son works in St Croix? Sho feel sorry for him (not really). Lol! I spent some time in St Thomas and still have memories of sipping on daquaires under the palm trees and listening to the Island music. Smile

Yeah, had a friend who used to work for a company in the Bahamas, same thing, everyone was always mad jealous of him. The only problem I can see with working in a place like that is, where do you go on your holidays? :-P
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:00 am

Well, that and hurricane season. I remember one that came through in the early 90s that nearly wiped St Thomas off the map.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Miles1 wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

Yeah, had a friend who used to work for a company in the Bahamas, same thing, everyone was always mad jealous of him. The only problem I can see with working in a place like that is, where do you go on your holidays? :-P

Well he went there for a vacation when he got out of the army and liked it so much he applied for a job at the friggin resort. Now he's bartending. He says the pay ain't that great, but the tips and the "perks" are awesome. When I first heard what he was doing I immediately thought he watched "Cocktails" one too many times, but who am I to tell him how to live his life.

The wife and I are gonna take him up on his offer of a discounted vacation though.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 am

Cool! Just dont go during football season. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content