Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys

4 posters

Go down

Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys Empty Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys

Post by Dennis324 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Hows this for news of the weird?

A breed of giant, Gambian rats have been rapidly reproducing in the Florida Keys despite a decade-long effort to wipe them out. KeysNet reports the invasive, African native species first began showing up between 1999-2001 after a local exotic animal breeder released eight of the rats into the wild.

"We thought we had them whipped as of 2009," said Scott Hardin, exotic species coordinator for Florida's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. "We think they have not moved far but they clearly reproduced," he said.

The rodents, officially known as the Gambian pouched rat, are the largest known breed of rats in the world. They can grow up to three feet in length and weigh as much as nine pounds. Wildlife officials fear that if the large-sized rodents make it to the Florida mainland, they could devastate local crops if they reach the Florida mainland.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has been working with Florida officials to wipe out the rodents, and there are only an estimate few dozen at large, but they can reproduce quickly and do so only five months after being born. After producing a litter, the Gambian rat only has to wait another nine months before having another litter, bearing up to six babies at a time.
Officials thought they had successfully gotten rid of all of the Gambian rats back in 2008, but several of the burrowing creatures recently began showing up in the yards of local residents. "We were skeptical but went back and talked to people and [saw] there were rats that we missed," Hardin told KeysNet.

Using cantaloupe and peanut butter as bait, officials say are planning another to distribute another 200 traps in an effort to clear the keys of the Gambian rats, some of which are larger than the average house cat.

"We're going to try to trap at least that often until we see signs that we have knocked them back," Hardin said.
Source
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys Empty Re: Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys

Post by Bryant Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Sounds like they need some bigger cats...
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys Empty Re: Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys

Post by Marconius Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Once here, invasive species are almost impossible to wipe out. Look at Nutria rats, the constrictor snakes in the Gulf South, fire ants, armadillos, starlings, white people......well you get the idea.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:16 am

Whatever happened with that invasive breed of fish that they were trying to keep out of the Great Lakes there a few years ago? They were putting in electronic barriers to try to stop them and all.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:34 pm

White people! Lol!!!

Yeah, add to that...kudzu. I wish we could find a good use for this. ITs everywhere on our land. I have seen where people in parts of asia have found a way to boil it down and eat it like turnip greens or collards. Turns black when cooked.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Miles1 wrote:Whatever happened with that invasive breed of fish that they were trying to keep out of the Great Lakes there a few years ago? They were putting in electronic barriers to try to stop them and all.

Lampreys

They are found in all of the Great Lakes now. We use special nets to keep them from spreading into streams that feed into the lakes. A special poison called Lampricide (no kidding) is actually used to kill them or sterilize them. So far all we can do is keep them in check, but it has been and still is very expensive.

Focus is also shifting to an Asian Bowfin they they call Snakeheads. That is the big baddy now.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:07 pm

I saw an episode of 'River Monsters' (with Jeremy Wade) and they featured the snakeheads. Pretty wicked fish. Top level predators, highly invasive and can breath air and live on land for up to 4 days.

After being in the Navy, I have now adopted a policy of "if I cant see the bottom, I dont go into the water". Which pretty much limits me to swiming pools. But I saw so many nasty things that would bite ya that I just dont take chances anymore.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Dennis324 wrote:
After being in the Navy, I have now adopted a policy of "if I cant see the bottom, I dont go into the water". Which pretty much limits me to swiming pools. But I saw so many nasty things that would bite ya that I just dont take chances anymore.

You mean like this?

Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys 545819_298542910216291_100001817546983_710112_431961027_n
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

You mean like this?

Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys 545819_298542910216291_100001817546983_710112_431961027_n

Is that friggin real???

Looks like a white shark, but I thought white sharks preferred darker water (like the coasts of California) in order to maximize their natural camouflage.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Second look....it is prolly a basking shark out in the Bahamas
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:51 am

Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

You mean like this?

Exactly! I've seen shark swarms just a few yards from swimmers and surfers. One of my biggest fears is to be eaten by some creature. (Well, that and burning to death or freefalling from an exploding plane).
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down