Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work??? But gubment pays me more not to

4 posters

Go down

Work??? But gubment pays me more not to Empty Work??? But gubment pays me more not to

Post by Marconius Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:36 am

Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Work??? But gubment pays me more not to Empty Re: Work??? But gubment pays me more not to

Post by Bryant Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 am

I've been on unemployment. My wife just got off unemployment. The money sucks and the boredom is unbearable. You have all the time in the world, but no money to do anything other than pay basic bills. Yes I made more than minimum wage on unemployment, but if I didn't I'd have been out on the street.

Also, most states base unemployment compensation on the claimant's previous pay. Those who get a lot out of unemployment are those who used to make a lot, not your stereotypical welfare queen.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Work??? But gubment pays me more not to Empty Re: Work??? But gubment pays me more not to

Post by Marconius Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:06 am

This ain't about unemployment insurance benefits. Come to my town and let me take you on a tour. See a true welfare state and understand why us workers hate the system.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 am

Yeah its not just about unemployment (though 99 weeks is insane) or any single program, as much as it is the litany of programs, all on the rise under obama

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:01 am

The article also state that benefits are more than a $15/hour job in many places. That is far from min wage. Methinks Bryant needs to read this topic:
https://whateversclever.forumotion.com/t1322-headline-news
Then come back here.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:06 am

I read past the title, although I had stopped halfway through the article. My unemployment rant came off a misreading of:

"Not only do government-assistance programs for the unemployed pay more than minimum wage in 35 states'
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Unemployment is supposed to be insurance. It is actually supposed to come from your SSI payments. It is based on past wages and is not considered welfare. Course upping the amount of time one can recieve unemployment insurance was a big mistake. Humans are creatures of comfort. Most of us will only do the bare minimum needed to get by. It is our nature and will not change until such time as we evolve into something else.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:12 pm

It is my belief, that if our govt backed off and created an atmosphere that would allow business to thrive here, more jobs would open up and people could go back to work.  They could get off unemployment and then, with so many jobs...it would be ok to limit the time one could draw unemployment or welfare.

We need to give business a reason to hire workers here.  Lower corporate tax rates and let small business thrive.  People can go back to work, get off the govt dole, start driving and buying stuff in the stores again, and in the end, the government can get plenty of money through the bustling economy.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:28 am

I just cant understand the mindset of someone content to use the safety nets as a hammock. I absolutely hated having to be on unemployment. I was embarrassed that I couldn't find work, that I had to rely on a safety net to get by. I hated never having money to go do anything. I hated how worthless it made me feel. How could anyone be content with that life? I work full time + overtime now making $15 an hour (same as what the maximum benefit described in Marc's post) that I can spend on anything I want (unlike most/all welfare benefits which are supposed to go toward certain things) and things are still tight! I just can't understand how anyone with any alternatives would be content with that life.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:50 am

Me too.  I hate being broke and accepting Food stamps.  No
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:57 am

Bryant wrote:I just cant understand the mindset of someone content to use the safety nets as a hammock.  I absolutely hated having to be on unemployment.  I was embarrassed that I couldn't find work, that I had to rely on a safety net to get by.  I hated never having money to go do anything.  I hated how worthless it made me feel.  How could anyone be content with that life?  I work full time + overtime now making $15 an hour (same as what the maximum benefit described in Marc's post) that I can spend on anything I want (unlike most/all welfare benefits which are supposed to go toward certain things) and things are still tight!  I just can't understand how anyone with any alternatives would be content with that life.
Motivation. Many do not have it. Got you some and you will go far.

My bro-in-law and sis-in-law do not. Neither have ever worked a day in their life and both now get benefits they do not deserve. Same with that surfer dude that Bill O did a profile on(and Bill O was summarily attacked by Sharpton).
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:59 am

Dennis324 wrote:Me too.  I hate being broke and accepting Food stamps.  No
Diabled vet.....sorry you have to live like that. You deserve better. I got no problem paying those that served or at least worked when they could. How many private charities have you checked out??? My wife and I give to several charities to help vets.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:28 am

I'm in the process of trying to get disability.  The VA wont giv e it to me coz its not service related.  Even though the doctors say I cant stand more than 20 to 30 minutes or so, I've been turned down twice for Disability.  I am in the process of trying to get everything documented on my medical records now.  But man, the lawyers were trying to get me to lie and say I have psych problems, which I've never been diagnosed with anything like that, and wanted me to take a bunch of cat scans (which I'd have to pay for).

I don't think its right to just outright lie like that, so I told the lawyers to take a hike.  I'll have to find another one.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:44 am

Third time tou should have to go in for a review and 80% of approved claims take place after a review. So usually, if youre gonna get it, 3rd trys a charm. Took me 3 years to get on. Not something i would advice for anyone just trying to get the equivalent of lifelong unemployment.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:27 am

I dunno what i'm gonna do.  I need to get some sort of cash coming in though.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down