Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours

2 posters

Go down

John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours  Empty John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours

Post by Bryant Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 pm

John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours
By Scotta Callister
Blue Mountain Eagle

John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours  1098399_10200407786939418_1180176152_n
Image by Chris Buckhaults

JOHN DAY – An intense aerial assault is under way in the skies above John Day, as firefighters try to keep the Grouse Mountain Fire from sweeping south into town.

It is the second time in 24 hours that a wildfire has threatened this remote rural community in Grant County. A combined air and ground assault by multiple fire agencies halted the John Day Complex fires Wednesday evening.

The air assault was impressive.

Shaun Robertson, a veteran firefighter and lifetime resident of Grant County, said he’d never seen such air power before in the area.

“It was like being at Pearl Harbor,” he said of Wednesday's action.

The air assault continued today as the Grouse Mountain Fire, which also broke out Wednesday, expanded to 2,000-plus acres. The fire was reported to be running and flaring throughout the day, and spreading to the east.

However, gusty winds apparently pushed the winds over a southern fire lines in the late afternoon.

Currently, the blaze appears to be creeping toward the closed Grant Western sawmill and some houses in that area. About 6:30 p.m., the fire was burning just one ridge to the east from the Charolais Heights subdivision of John Day.

At 7 p.m., a north John Day resident told dispatchers that the flames were cresting over a hill above the Seventh Street Complex, the community’s baseball and sports park. Authorities confirmed that flames could be seen from as far away as Main Street, which is Highway 26 through town.

Meanwhile both large and small air tankers continue making repeated passes over the fire’s southern edge, creating a constant drone heard in the neighborhoods and business district.

The unexpected air show is taking place above the Grant County Fairgrounds, where the county fair opened today. Fair-goers can be seen talking on cell phones, checking emails and taking photos, as the tankers careen overhead.

Fire officials are watching to see what areas might require evacuation if conditions don't improve, although the fire seemed to be moving more slowly as evening set in.

Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer earlier today ordered the evacuation of Magone Lake Campground, about 10 miles north of John Day on the Malheur National Forest. The evacuation was ordered out of concern that the Grouse Mountain Fire, now burning on private land, would sweep north into the national forest.

The Malheur Forest also set a pre-evacuation order for Strawberry Mountain Campground, south of Prairie City, because of fires burning in the wilderness nearby. Those campers didn't have to leave, but were told to be prepared to do so at short notice.

As a precaution, people in the John Day Valley were advised to take stock of what they might want to take with them in the event of an evacuation.

Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours  Empty Re: John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours

Post by Bryant Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Yesterday the John Day Fire Complex burned within a few hundred yards of my house. Fortunately (amazingly?) no homes were burnt. The fire burning on the north side of town sounds just as serious. Its part of a much larger fire that started yesterday evening and appears to be threatening several homes. I've herd tell that some homes aways north of town burned today and that over 7000 head of cattle are threatened (if not moved quickly could be burned). There are also several other fires burning in other parts of the county. This hasn't been a good week for Grant County.

I was supposed to be sent out to aid in the suppression operation today, but for some reason that didn't happen. I hope they send me out tomorrow, it bothers me to have something like this going on and not be able to do anything to help.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours  Empty Re: John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours

Post by Bryant Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 pm

This is yesterday's fire. Our home is a couple houses to the right of the white house in this picture.

John Day community under attack from second fire in 24 hours  1098257_10100164570057391_1604808213_n
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:06 am

Police visit neighbors near fire as precaution
Blue Mountain Eagle

JOHN DAY – Police are going door to door in parts of northern John Day to urge people to pull their important documents and possessions together in case they need to evacuate because of the Grouse Mountain Fire.

John Day Police Chief Rich Tirico described it as a precaution, and said there are no evacuation orders at this time in the city.

"We're talking to people about preparedness," he said.

Police are focusing their notifications on the Charolais Heights and Ironwood neighborhood, high on the hills at the north edge of town.

The fire was burning about three miles north of town most of Thursday, but in late afternoon the winds picked up and began pushing it back toward the town. By 8 p.m., it was running strong to the east and flaring on the ridges above ranches at the east end of John Day.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:36 am

Take care Bryant!  That fire is close and dangerous (understatement I know).  Is there any chance of making a firebreak before it hits your house?  Also is this in Oregon or California and are you there?
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:07 am

Dennis324 wrote:Take care Bryant!  That fire is close and dangerous (understatement I know).  Is there any chance of making a firebreak before it hits your house?  Also is this in Oregon or California and are you there?
This is in eastern Oregon.

The fire that was on my side of the town is out. Hopefully highway 395 would have worked as a fire brake (I'm on the opposite side of the road than the fire. I'm not sure whats happening with the fire on the north side of town. We got some good rain last night, but it came with more lightning and erratic winds.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:50 pm

I'll pray for a gentle soaking rain to help you guys out.  Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down