Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would Love to See Pro-Abortion People Defend This

3 posters

Go down

I would Love to See Pro-Abortion People Defend This Empty I would Love to See Pro-Abortion People Defend This

Post by Marconius Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 am

Opinion Brief

Is killing newborns really 'no different' than abortion?
A paper in an ethics journal argues that neither fetuses nor newborns are "actual persons" yet, so the same rules should apply to both

Best Opinion: New Statesman, Guardian, National Review

Two ethicists from Australia's Melbourne University have inspired a fierce backlash by suggesting that killing newborn babies "should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is." The professors, Alberto Giubilini and Francesca Minerva, argue in an article published in the British Journal of Medical Ethics that neither fetuses nor newborns have "the same moral status as actual persons" because they're not yet aware of their own existence — so "after-birth abortion" is "no different to abortion" during pregnancy. The authors have reportedly received a torrent of angry responses — even death threats — from appalled readers. Is there any legitimate reason to make such a shocking and provocative proposal?

This isn't so crazy: Biologically, at least, Giubilini and Minerva are "on firm ground," says Nelson Jones at New Statesman. Human babies are born prematurely by mammalian standards, so a newborn baby is "in many ways still a fetus" who is "wholly dependent" on adults to care for him for months, if not years. The ethicists simply raise "the valid question of when any abortion law should draw the line," since our opinions on when a person becomes a person are somewhat arbitrary.
"Justifying infanticide"

Huh? This argument is "repellent": "Academics are and should be free to entertain monstrous ideas," says Andrew Brown at Britian's The Guardian. "But that does not trump the freedom of the rest of us to be repelled by their monstrosity." Serious philosophers have argued that there's "no huge moral difference" between a baby in the birth canal and one who has just "emerged into the world." But it's absurd and disgusting to leap from there to saying it's OK to kill newborns. Is this article "self parody"?
"Infanticide is repellent. Feeling that way doesn't make you Glenn Beck"

But the ethicists do fuel a strong argument against abortion: "The vast majority of the civilized — and, frankly, uncivilized — world" no doubt sees this argument as "beyond repugnant," says Jonah Goldberg at National Review. Nevertheless, these so-called ethicists "are providing a valuable service insofar as they are making plain the logic supporting abortion." Abortion opponents always said legalizing abortion put us on a "slippery slope" toward infanticide. They were right.
"The pro-life, pro-infanticide consensus"

http://theweek.com/article/briefing_blog/77/the-abortion-battle
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

I would Love to See Pro-Abortion People Defend This Empty Re: I would Love to See Pro-Abortion People Defend This

Post by Bryant Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:36 pm

I'm still trying to find someone who can satisfactorily explain the difference between 'person' and human.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

I would Love to See Pro-Abortion People Defend This Empty Re: I would Love to See Pro-Abortion People Defend This

Post by Marconius Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Bryant wrote:I'm still trying to find someone who can satisfactorily explain the difference between 'person' and human.

When we as a species start classifying our offspring as nothing more than a Zygote or parasite, we have lost something. I do not know what it is, but it is gone.

I understand the need for legal abortion, but I cannot understand the term "abortion of convenience". This isn't 1973. The options for contraception are plenty.

Of course at the same time, I cannot see how someone, on the other end of the argument, can say that contraception is just as bad as abortion.

Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:09 pm

Marconius wrote:
I understand the need for legal abortion, but I cannot understand the term "abortion of convenience". This isn't 1973. The options for contraception are plenty.

I'd agree with this. If a woman genuinely physically/mentally (maybe in some cases financially) can't have a baby, then she should be able to have an abortion, but she's pregnant because she was too drunk/lazy to use protection with whatever guy she was with, she deserves to get a hard time about it.

On the point in the original article about "these so-called ethicists are providing a valuable service insofar as they are making plain the logic supporting abortion", using these guys as an example of the general mind-set of the pro-choice side would be like taking some of the people who think it's ok to bomb abortion clinics or shoot doctors who perform abortions and using them to "make plain the logic opposing abortion" i.e. in this case that it's OK to kill people who are pro-choice. You're taking the views of the extremists and using them as a very wide brush to tar everyone else with.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down