Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info overload

3 posters

Go down

Info overload Empty Info overload

Post by Sir Pun Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 am

Its interesting to me that while information is easier and easier to get at, it also seems the public is becoming more and more ignorant. I dunno if its a case of information oveload or what, but it definitely seems sometimes that this generation is so self-absorbed, and apparently our education system is such crap, that there are just common knowledge things that arent known by todays youth, particularly when it comes to history or geopolitics.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Info overload Empty Re: Info overload

Post by Miles1 Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 am

Information is easier to get at, but it's also a lot easier to filter and compartmentalize it so that you only get the information that interests you. Before, if you wanted to find out about something that was going on, you had to watch the news or read a newspaper or a book, and the bit you wanted to see would be surrounded by other bits that you had to get through to find what you were looking for, and you ended up learning/finding out about other stuff almost despite yourself. Nowadays with tivo, google searches, blogs etc, it's so easy to just get what you want that you can ignore everything else. In some cases, you might not even be aware, not only of the other 95% of stuff that's out there, but that there is even that much stuff out there that you don't know about.

And as for schools, urgh......
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Miles1 wrote:Information is easier to get at, but it's also a lot easier to filter and compartmentalize it so that you only get the information that interests you. Before, if you wanted to find out about something that was going on, you had to watch the news or read a newspaper or a book, and the bit you wanted to see would be surrounded by other bits that you had to get through to find what you were looking for, and you ended up learning/finding out about other stuff almost despite yourself. Nowadays with tivo, google searches, blogs etc, it's so easy to just get what you want that you can ignore everything else. In some cases, you might not even be aware, not only of the other 95% of stuff that's out there, but that there is even that much stuff out there that you don't know about.

And as for schools, urgh......

As long as one supports a centralized government paying for and setting standards for schooling, they will always suck. Put it in the hands of local or state governments and you will see improvement. Local governments have a stake in the game. Without good education standards, they cannot attract new job growth. Federal government just does what federal governments always do. Throw money at it to make us feel good and to buy our vote. Problem never gets solved.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Idk i think its more to do with having to give a damn with whats goin on, while it seems most people just dont pay attention or learn for themselves. Like theyre too distracted with all the pop culture nonsense. I dunno just very similar to the prolitariate class in 1984.

Last edited by Pun on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Pun wrote:Idk i think its more to do with having to give a damn with whats goin on, while it seems most people just dont pay attention or learn for themselves. Like theyre too distracted with all the pop culture nonsense. I dunno just very similar to the prolitariate class in 1984.

With feedin the chickens, milkin the cows, takin care of the property, and all that stuff, it seems that there has always been distractions to education. Distractions never really stopped any one.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum