Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dont use the E word

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dont use the E word Empty Dont use the E word

Post by Sir Pun Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 am

An Alabama elementary school has banned the word “Easter” this year in order to respect religious diversity.

“We had in the past a parent question us about some of the things we do here at school,” Heritage Elementary School Principal Lydia Davenport told WHNT. “So we’re just trying to make sure we respect and honor everybody’s differences.”

The boys and girls can are still going to be able to hunt for eggs, they just can’t call them “Easter eggs.”

According to the station, teachers had originally planned to participate in a “quiz bowl” egg hunt where students would use egg buzzers to answer quiz questions in Easter eggs. But a school administrator told WHNT that they came up with a compromise to allow the game to continue.

“We compromised by allowing teachers to use other different kinds of shapes besides eggs in the classroom to put those questions in [that] the students will be answering.”

Ms. Davenport said the kids love the bunny, they just can’t call him the Easter bunny, “so that we don’t infringe on the rights of others because people relate the Easter bunny to religion; a bunny is a bunny and a rabbit is a rabbit.”

This kind of thing just gets me so amped up. So according to the principle, A parent questioned her in the past, so therefore were going to infringe on the first amendment rights of everyone in the facility, and "ban" a word whther religious or not? FASCISM! Its not infringing on someones rights by calling something what it is, so long as you arent forcing them to say or not say, or do or not do anything. And why is it always the pegan aspects and symbology the part thats fine, it just the christian part thats always under assault? Just so sick of this secular progressive bullshit annual agenda against the freedom of expression of those of christian faith, and with passive acceptance by society.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Dont use the E word Empty Re: Dont use the E word

Post by Sir Pun Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 am

Tyrrany of the minority...

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Its not banning a word, its banning the school from participating in a religious observance. While this isn't where I'd choose to make a stand, I see the rational.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 am

Am going to guess that no-one in these schools actually had any complaints about easter, they're doing this in case someone might possibly be offended. So they had "a parent", who was "questioning" them about some of the things they did, so they got scared that they might possibly offend someone who would sue them/go to the news about them, so they overreacted. In doing so, they screwed themselves over even more because instead of it being a small local news story, it's now become national news and you have O'Reilly/Fox News/all the right-wing blogs that feed off Fox News on your case.

The way I see it, you're never going to please everyone, so just call it what you want to call it and what makes most people happy if little abdullah's or supreeeth's parents don't want their kid to go to an easter egg hunt, then they can keep him at home. The way I see it, political correctness can go kiss my hairy white Irish arse, and if you don't like me saying "white" or "irish", then I'm suing you for being racist :-P

All this political correctness crap is really just small people with a little bit of authority being scared of being sued, so if you want to blame someone for the "War on holiday-of-an-allegedly-non-state-religion", don't blame the athiests or the non-christians, blame the lawyers.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 am

No joke miles. And i ddnt know an easter egg hunt was a religious event, while a secular egg hunt wasnt. You heard the lady. "They just cant call it the easter bunny." Bullshit. I cant wait for my kids school to try some of this crap cuz im be there all day saying easter bunny, happy easter, merry christmas and all that and so will my kid. Im sry but this idea of the state not endorsing an official religion has been taken WAY too far in our schools, to the extent that they try to stifle free expression, not just of the faculty who have the same rights as anyone else, but of the students.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 am

But blame does belong with the militant atheists who startd this ball to rolling by bringing all these lawsuits against school districts and municipalities in the first place, bringing on this culture of fear of being sued by them. That is the tyrrany of minority. And theyve gone from trying to keep institutions from condoning one faith over others, to trying to silence the voices of the free ppl in those institutions, and that is unacceptable.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:55 am

Pun wrote:No joke miles. And i ddnt know an easter egg hunt was a religious event, while a secular egg hunt wasnt. You heard the lady. "They just cant call it the easter bunny." Bullshit. I cant wait for my kids school to try some of this crap cuz im be there all day saying easter bunny, happy easter, merry christmas and all that and so will my kid. Im sry but this idea of the state not endorsing an official religion has been taken WAY too far in our schools, to the extent that they try to stifle free expression, not just of the faculty who have the same rights as anyone else, but of the students.
Its not a religious event. But this principal at the school is an idiot. Someone probably told her that it was a religious event and the principal was worried they'd get sued. (Local school cant usually fight a lawsuit coz they just dont have the money). But this woman principal is an idiot who got bullied into this.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:58 am

Miles1 wrote:Am going to guess that no-one in these schools actually had any complaints about easter, they're doing this in case someone might possibly be offended. So they had "a parent", who was "questioning" them about some of the things they did, so they got scared that they might possibly offend someone who would sue them/go to the news about them, so they overreacted. In doing so, they screwed themselves over even more because instead of it being a small local news story, it's now become national news and you have O'Reilly/Fox News/all the right-wing blogs that feed off Fox News on your case.

The way I see it, you're never going to please everyone, so just call it what you want to call it and what makes most people happy if little abdullah's or supreeeth's parents don't want their kid to go to an easter egg hunt, then they can keep him at home. The way I see it, political correctness can go kiss my hairy white Irish arse, and if you don't like me saying "white" or "irish", then I'm suing you for being racist :-P

All this political correctness crap is really just small people with a little bit of authority being scared of being sued, so if you want to blame someone for the "War on holiday-of-an-allegedly-non-state-religion", don't blame the athiests or the non-christians, blame the lawyers.

Technically its highly unconstitutional to observe Easter (in either the Christian or older pagan sense) in a public school.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:03 am

Pun wrote:No joke miles. And i ddnt know an easter egg hunt was a religious event, while a secular egg hunt wasnt. You heard the lady. "They just cant call it the easter bunny." Bullshit. I cant wait for my kids school to try some of this crap cuz im be there all day saying easter bunny, happy easter, merry christmas and all that and so will my kid. Im sry but this idea of the state not endorsing an official religion has been taken WAY too far in our schools, to the extent that they try to stifle free expression, not just of the faculty who have the same rights as anyone else, but of the students.

The kids can say it all they want. You (as a non-government agent) can say it all you want. The teachers in their spare time can even say it. The teachers and other school staff (or any government agent) can not constitutionally do any action that indorses a religion or religious practice while in the role of a government represenative. As much as you like to cry about (a faulty reading of) the second amendment, I'd have thought you would have some respect for the first!
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 am

Dennis324 wrote:
Its not a religious event. But this principal at the school is an idiot. Someone probably told her that it was a religious event and the principal was worried they'd get sued. (Local school cant usually fight a lawsuit coz they just dont have the money). But this woman principal is an idiot who got bullied into this.

Its based off a pre-Christian religious tradition. Easter was a celebration of spring, and the bunnies and eggs were symbols of the goddess of fertility.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:56 am

Bryant wrote:

The kids can say it all they want. You (as a non-government agent) can say it all you want. The teachers in their spare time can even say it. The teachers and other school staff (or any government agent) can not constitutionally do any action that indorses a religion or religious practice while in the role of a government represenative. As much as you like to cry about (a faulty reading of) the second amendment, I'd have thought you would have some respect for the first!
a faulty reading of the second amendment? When its quoted?

AMENDMENT II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Pretty damn simple to me. And gou can say that the kids can call it whatever they want, but the lady said they couldnt. And by your reasoning the president cant take part in the EASTER egg roll on the white house lawn.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:19 am

Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

Its based off a pre-Christian religious tradition. Easter was a celebration of spring, and the bunnies and eggs were symbols of the goddess of fertility.
exactly and all the eggs and bunnies and pegan symbols are ok, its just that nasty E word anyone has a problem with. Even decorated trees are ok as long as you dont saddle them with the even worse, C word. And this anti-christian trend has even take. Off outside of the governmetal aspect. A lot of ppl dont say merry christmas anymore because theyre afraid to offend this tiny group of people who are perceived to be more numerous than they are because theyre the vocal minority. Even remember some stores getting eid of the C word, but that backfired on target and they changed their minds.

I think chik-fil-a appreciation day showed how most americans were still traditionalists, but this is the same silent majority that allows the war on christianity to continue every year.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:26 am

And im sry bryant but u just trip me out sometimes lol. Theyre not banning the word easter, theyre just doing the exact same thing, only not using that word. The hunt for eggs is ok as long as you dont use the E word, yet theres no ban on the E word? Yeah that makes total sense lol

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:37 am

Pun wrote:
Bryant wrote:

AMENDMENT II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Pretty damn simple to me. And gou can say that the kids can call it whatever they want, but the lady said they couldnt. And by your reasoning the president cant take part in the EASTER egg roll on the white house lawn.

Where the right to bear arms is very carefully placed in the context of a well regulated militia. Most firearm owners in the United States do not qualify as a well regulated militia (not to say that you shouldn't be allowed to own firearms, just that I don't find the constitutional argument compelling).

No, technically the President should not. That said, as I observed earlier, this really isn't where I'd choose to make my stand.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:44 am

Pun wrote:
Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

exactly and all the eggs and bunnies and pegan symbols are ok, its just that nasty E word anyone has a problem with. Even decorated trees are ok as long as you dont saddle them with the even worse, C word. And this anti-christian trend has even take. Off outside of the governmetal aspect. A lot of ppl dont say merry christmas anymore because theyre afraid to offend this tiny group of people who are perceived to be more numerous than they are because theyre the vocal minority. Even remember some stores getting eid of the C word, but that backfired on target and they changed their minds.

I think chik-fil-a appreciation day showed how most americans were still traditionalists, but this is the same silent majority that allows the war on christianity to continue every year.

I don't eat at Chik-fil-a and have no respect for that company. The appreciation day made me quite sad for the moral state of our country.

An interesting note, the noun 'Easter' is derived from the name of Sumerian goddess Ishtar (pronounced Easter). Thus in a way this is an 'attack' on a pagan belief. I'll tell people Merry Christmas, but I'm also likely to wish people a Happy Saturnalia.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:58 am

Bryant wrote:
Pun wrote:
Bryant wrote:

AMENDMENT II

Where the right to bear arms is very carefully placed in the context of a well regulated militia. Most firearm owners in the United States do not qualify as a well regulated militia (not to say that you shouldn't be allowed to own firearms, just that I don't find the constitutional argument compelling).

No, technically the President should not. That said, as I observed earlier, this really isn't where I'd choose to make my stand.
i would say youre the one reading out of context on this issue. It doesnt say that only militia members have the right to bear arms. The first two part of the sentence are pretext. Grammatically, at least today, it should look more like this. A well regulated militia, being necessary yadda yah; the right to bear arms yadda yah, with the semicolon or even a dash denoting more of a pause than would be associated with a normal comma. Basically instead of saying the right bear arms because, its saying the because first, then the rights.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:07 am

And heres an even better argument. Nowhere else in the original constitution does it state what we cant do, only what government cant do, and what we can. So if you DO have a right to speak freely and you DO have the right to worship as you see fit, and you DO have the right to a speedy trial, etc etc, why would the second amendment be the ONLY ONE stating a right we DONT have?

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:04 am

Well...here's the thing I see. While Eggs and bunnies may have one time ages ago been pagan or whatever...an easter egg hunt and the easter bunny today is merely the product of candy and egg compaines, and the whole pagan thing for 99 and 44/100% of the people, no longer has any meaning. Thus today...it is a secular event...not pagan or religious.

With the exception of a small % of people, the whole pagan thing has pretty much died out, historically defeated by Christendom....and now defeated by secularism.

Either way, this principal is still dumb.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:07 am

Bryant wrote:

I don't eat at Chik-fil-a and have no respect for that company. The appreciation day made me quite sad for the moral state of our country.
Why? Because they oppose same sex marriage? Or because they give to Christian organizations? Lots of people do. I do. Have you lost respect for me too?
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 am

Because thats what the mainstream says. Just like "fox lies." About what? Ugh...FOX LIES!

And i kind of see ur point dennis about easter pretty much being like st. Patricks day or st. Valentines day.

Anyone see that instead of commemorating easter on their daily doodle, google decided to honor cesar chavez instead? Classy

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Dennis324 wrote:
Bryant wrote:

Why? Because they oppose same sex marriage? Or because they give to Christian organizations? Lots of people do. I do. Have you lost respect for me too?

Because it represented so many people uniting in a celebration of hatred toward a minority of their fellow country people.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Lol ok thats the left's take. Guess im an evil hatemonger too then.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 pm

And minority shminority, arent we all a partnof SOME minority, in some way? Of course we are, but the only ones that matter are the ones the establishment champions. This why minority status and classing people together isnt my thing, and i dont like how the left does it either - by voting blocs of course.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Reminds me of a joke i heard a black comic telling, talking about gay peeps as a minority, and he was like, no, a gay guy can walk in public without anyone knowing hes gay if he wants to, but when you black, they KNOW you is black lol.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

He was like, i was born black, i wasnt white until one day when i popped out of no closet. He was like, we had to go through dogs batons and firehoses while gay ppl have parades.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next