Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th

5 posters

Go down

Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th Empty Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th

Post by Bryant Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th
BBC News

An Illinois man has survived an 18ft (5.4m) fall inside a sinkhole while he was golfing, two weeks after another sinkhole swallowed a person in Florida.

Mark Mihal, 43, was investigating an unusual depression when the earth gave way on the 14th hole of the fairway in Waterloo, Illinois.

Friends managed to bring the mortgage broker to safety with a rope, and he escaped with only a sore shoulder.

Mr Mihal said he felt lucky to survive the "absolutely crazy" accident.

"It didn't look unstable,'' Mr Mihal said of the slump in the ground, which exposed a 10ft-wide sinkhole once he stood on it. "And then I was gone.

"I was just freefalling. It felt like forever, but it was just a second or two, and I didn't know what I was going to hit. And all I saw was darkness.''

Such holes are common in south-western Illinois, where old underground mines frequently cause the earth to cave in.

According to Sam Panno, a senior geochemist with the Illinois State Geological Survey, there are as many as 15,000 sinkholes in the region.

Florida man Jeffrey Bush, 36, is presumed dead after a sinkhole swallowed his bedroom near Tampa this month.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th Empty Re: Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th

Post by Marconius Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:52 pm

We have a sinkhole situation here. Apparently is was caused by mining for salt.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/eyewitness/morereports/mysteryintheswamp-193139431.html

People are angry now, but they were happy for the jobs. Fickle is as fickle does.

Sure it is easy to point the finger at Texas Brine, and I feel they should be held somewhat accountable, but just how can we foresee future problems??? Unlike diverting massive amounts of water to LA, things like this aren't so cut and dry. You have to be fair to the people affected, but you also have to be fair to the company. At least they tried to alleviate the problem before it started.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th Empty Re: Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th

Post by Sir Pun Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Sinkhole in one. Now theres a proper title for this thread

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Maybe he shouldve widened his stance more

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Stop it Laughing
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:06 pm

I shouldnt joke abt sinkholes, i do live in florida...

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:31 pm

I remember my grandmother from Florida talking about sinkholes back in the 60s. As a little kid I was horrified to think of people's whole houses just disappearing. So this is really nothing new (just rarely reported) although the story about the man on the gof course is weird.

I didnt know, however, that there were sinkholes in Illinois. (Just like I didnt know there were cougars in West Alabama...until I came face to face with one). affraid
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:39 am

Gotta figure if there are panthers in florida, theyre bound to be in alabama. I saw a bobcat the size of a panther in alabama before.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 am

We have a few Florida panthers here, but they are hardly ever seen. What disturbs me is the increase in jaguarundi seen down here. They have migrated up from Mexico, through Texas (like fire ants, armadillos, and white wing doves). They aren't very big. Average size is about as large as a bobcat, but they are tree cats. Some wildlife experts say our wood duck population could take a strong hit if these things keep coming.

Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th 800px-Herpailurus_yagouaroundi_Jaguarundi_ZOO_D%C4%9B%C4%8D%C3%ADn
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 am

I heard of jaguars making the journey into the southwest us but the jaguarundi

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am

Damn illegals!

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am

Ps. The fireant came from mobile bay, ur thinking of africanized killer bees

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 pm

They came on ships from South America though. I just binged it to learn more. I guess that is why they aren't found out west. They haven't made it that far yet. Those red ants in Cali sure do look ferocious, but the bites/stings don't hurt much and they don't get infected like many fire ant bites/stings. From what I understand is that the pain and infection comes from a chemical they spray onto you from the abdomen.....gotta check that for accuracy.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 pm

I think some type of acid

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Marconius wrote:They came on ships from South America though. I just binged it to learn more. I guess that is why they aren't found out west. They haven't made it that far yet. Those red ants in Cali sure do look ferocious, but the bites/stings don't hurt much and they don't get infected like many fire ant bites/stings. From what I understand is that the pain and infection comes from a chemical they spray onto you from the abdomen.....gotta check that for accuracy.

The red ants he have in the mountains out here arent bad. They tend to keep to them selves and stay out of the house (unlike those stupid small black ants). The only time I had any real problems with the red ants was when the mower crapped out on top of one of their nests, and even at that I only got bit a couple times. That said, the avenues they chew through the grass can be impressive.

Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th 400_F_32222065_9itnbBEs3qNH6Edx0MmuUWTlVYed5Mh5

We also have these guys up in the higher elevations (haven't seen them below 5000 ft elv). They're called carpenter ants and are huge. They live off eating rotting wood. While their size is impressive, they seldom bite and when they do it doesn't really hurt (I've been bit once by one that made the mistake of crawling into my sandal). That said, they're hard to kill (Raid only seems to get them high).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:47 am

Wow, is impressive how far this went off the original topic... :-P
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:45 am

Thanks

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 am

we try really, really hard Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th 2414560500
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 am

Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:They came on ships from South America though. I just binged it to learn more. I guess that is why they aren't found out west. They haven't made it that far yet. Those red ants in Cali sure do look ferocious, but the bites/stings don't hurt much and they don't get infected like many fire ant bites/stings. From what I understand is that the pain and infection comes from a chemical they spray onto you from the abdomen.....gotta check that for accuracy.

The red ants he have in the mountains out here arent bad. They tend to keep to them selves and stay out of the house (unlike those stupid small black ants). The only time I had any real problems with the red ants was when the mower crapped out on top of one of their nests, and even at that I only got bit a couple times. That said, the avenues they chew through the grass can be impressive.

We also have these guys up in the higher elevations (haven't seen them below 5000 ft elv). They're called carpenter ants and are huge. They live off eating rotting wood. While their size is impressive, they seldom bite and when they do it doesn't really hurt (I've been bit once by one that made the mistake of crawling into my sandal). That said, they're hard to kill (Raid only seems to get them high).

We have a type of carpenter ant here. Big, black things that live in trees. Not aggressive at all.

We also have these things down here.
Velvet ant
Illinois golfer plunges down sinkhole on the 14th Bug2

Locals call them cow killers 'cause if they do sting you, it feels like it could kill a cow. Luckily they aren't that aggressive. They really aren't ants though. They are actually a wingless wasp. I swear you can step on them a dozen times and they will still walk away.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 am

Marconius wrote:
Locals call them cow killers 'cause if they do sting you, it feels like it could kill a cow. Luckily they aren't that aggressive. They really aren't ants though. They are actually a wingless wasp. I swear you can step on them a dozen times and they will still walk away.

Sounds like you should maybe not try stepping on them so.....
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:11 am

We have those too. Call em cow ants. Actually wingless wasps and they make a weird whining sound if trapped

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:37 am

Miles1 wrote:
Marconius wrote:

Sounds like you should maybe not try stepping on them so.....

I got shoes on. Not all of us southerners still walk around barefoot ya'know Razz
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum