Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heres an interesting question

3 posters

Go down

Heres an interesting question Empty Heres an interesting question

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 am

Without the influx of angles saxons and viking peoples to britain, do u think the british empire would have evolved into the same naval super power it did?

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Heres an interesting question Empty Re: Heres an interesting question

Post by Dennis324 Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Not if the Welsh had anything to do with it! Lol! Heres an interesting question 1871282823 Bryant.

Its a good question though. I'm assuming you mean also if Romans hadnt invaded either?

I'm guessing here, but I think there were people in Britain before the last ice age. Of course most of them fled to S. Europe when Britain became a frozen wasteland.

At any rate, records show that Britain was explored by the Greek navigator Pytheus around 325BC. And apparently archeological evidence sows that ancient Brits were involved in extensive maritime trade with the rest of Europe from the Neolithic age onwards, especially by exporting tin.

So that was probably waaay before vikings and Saxons invaded. This makes me think that, given time, Briton would eventually have become very fine sailors.

Would they have become a mighty Sea-going nation? I dunno. The Phonecians were. The greeks were also. The Brits were located on the fringes of europe and were relatively protected by the seas. Fishing would have been a huge part of their economy too, so probably. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Dunno. We have to remember Norman influence as well. Don't think they were that much of a sea-faring people........heavy cav......check......strong navy.......no check.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Eh but the romans werent known for their seafaring, preferring i stead to stick to land. And who we call the welsh today were actually the original britons, before angification.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:03 pm

I think it had more to do with Imperialism and the power races in Europe at the time. Even the Dutch had a fairly strong empire at one time.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Pun wrote:Eh but the romans werent known for their seafaring, preferring i stead to stick to land. And who we call the welsh today were actually the original britons, before angification.

Right you are. Romans had to modify their ships ao they could take advantage of their infantry.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Heah the normans were descended from scandinavia as well. Norman, norseman. But they largely gave up sailing prior to their invasion of england.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down