Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fried Chicken

3 posters

Go down

Fried Chicken Empty Fried Chicken

Post by Bryant Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:37 pm

To my southern friends, how are you supposed to cook fried chicken? Have any good recipes?

I like Popeye's fried chicken (the closest you get to Cajun food in Fresno), but I don't like their prices, so I decided to try to cook fried chicken. After a little internet searching I found this recipe:

6 cups of veg. oil
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon salt
3eggs
2 tablespoons white pepper
1 frying chicken with skin, cut up

Heat oil over medium heat in a deep fryer or in a wide deep pan, on the stove. In a large bowl, combine flour,salt, pepper and paprika.
Break the eggs into a separate bowl and beat until blended.
Check the oil by dropping in a pinch of the flour mixture. If the oil bubbles rapidly around the flour,it is ready.
Dip each piece of chicken into the eggs, then coat generously with the flour mixture. Drop each piece into the hot oil and fry 15 to 25 minutes or until it is a dark golden brown.
Remove the chicken to paper towels or a rack to drain.

I used this as a framework. I couldn't find white pepper, so I substituted black pepper. I also added (too much) garlic salt, garlic powder, and skinless boneless chicken breasts. I don't have a deep-fryer, so I used a pot. I didn't want to use vegetable oil, so I used olive oil.

The wife liked this a lot, while I thought it had too much garlic and not enough spice.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fried Chicken Empty Re: Fried Chicken

Post by Dennis324 Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:14 pm

That'll work. If its too garlicky or slaty, cut back on the garlic salt or eliminate it entirely. Also I have used olive oil and it works fine, but remember that oilive oil (while healthier) has a distinctive flavor and this will come out in whateer you cook. Make darn sure your oil is hot enough because if it isnt, your chicken will soak up all the grease. Also, I like to use a cast iron skillet rather than a deep fryer.

Here's one recipe I like:

1 whole cut up chicken.
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups shortening.

In a bowl mix 2 tsp salt with 2 cups of water. Put the chicken parts in and let it soak for around 15 to 20 minutes. This is called brining and it will make your chicken nice and juicy.

Drain the pieces.

Mix flour, pepper, and salt together. Dredge your chicken pieces in until the are good and covered. Shake off excess flour.
Your oil should be around 350F. Any less and your chicken is gonna soak up all that oil and get greasy.

Brown your chicken on all sides, reducing the heat if necessary as it cooks. You dont want it smoking.

It ought to take about 20 minutes to fry a chicken well-done. Drain the pices on paper towels.

*If for some reason you are afraid your chicken isnt done enough, put it in a baking pan and place it in an oven at 350F for about 15 minutes.

Lemme know when you want to make some turnip or collard greens.

Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by avlgal Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 am

I love fried chicken, but I have never cooked it. I usually bake or barbecue chicken when I cook it, but since my husband doesn't like chicken I don't cook it much. Sometimes, I will buy some at the deli section of the grocery. It's a real treat when you don't eat it often, lol!
avlgal
avlgal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum