Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Mustang Rear Ends

2 posters

Go down

Ford Mustang Rear Ends Empty Ford Mustang Rear Ends

Post by Bryant Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:33 pm

Hey Marc,
Do the new Mustangs still use a 8.8 rear end or are they independent?
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ford Mustang Rear Ends Empty Re: Ford Mustang Rear Ends

Post by Marconius Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 am

This is the last version that will use a solid, live rear end. I am ashamed to admit that I do not know anything else about it. Other than programmer, induction and exhaust....I ain't messed with it(what's more....I didn't even do the work this time). I really need to look under the damn thing when I get home.

Last edited by Marconius on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:55 am

Are you considering??? If so I can tell you that the rear doesn't feel solid. As a total package, I am very happy(course I've always been a Mustang guy). I see Comaros and Challengers everywhere, but the new Mustangs are rare. I like being rarer than the others.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm a Camero/Corvette guy. The reason I ask is that I just picked up a Ford 8.8 for my Jeep (this one is a 31 spline out of an Explorer, essentially the same axle as they use in the Mustangs, just wider and a higher spline count than the non-Shelby cars), and am trying to figure out what locking differential is best to use (hear lot of the racing Mustang people are into these).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Bryant wrote:I'm a Camero/Corvette guy. The reason I ask is that I just picked up a Ford 8.8 for my Jeep (this one is a 31 spline out of an Explorer, essentially the same axle as they use in the Mustangs, just wider and a higher spline count than the non-Shelby cars), and am trying to figure out what locking differential is best to use (hear lot of the racing Mustang people are into these).

I liked to run 3.73's in my old '89 5.0. That was a solid high 12/ low 13 sec 1/4 mile car......and it was my daily driver.

Don't really know what to recommend for you application though. You have a V-6, then I would say 3.55's.

Nothing wrong with Cameros and I really like the new Vette.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:I'm a Camero/Corvette guy. The reason I ask is that I just picked up a Ford 8.8 for my Jeep (this one is a 31 spline out of an Explorer, essentially the same axle as they use in the Mustangs, just wider and a higher spline count than the non-Shelby cars), and am trying to figure out what locking differential is best to use (hear lot of the racing Mustang people are into these).

I liked to run 3.73's in my old '89 5.0. That was a solid high 12/ low 13 sec 1/4 mile car......and it was my daily driver.

Don't really know what to recommend for you application though. You have a V-6, then I would say 3.55's.

Nothing wrong with Cameros and I really like the new Vette.

V6, hah! My jeep is a 2.5L I4. For the 33" tires I have I need either 4.46 or 4.88 ratios. I was thinking more along the line of locker.

And I sure as heck am not dissing on your current Mustang, the pics you posted a while back were sweet!
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:29 am

Yeah, that's outside my area of knowledge. Sorry about the ignorance, but if we ain't talking street muscle.....I know squat. A bit of bracket racing and cruising is what I do. There ain't no rocks to climb my neck of the woods and I don't modify my truck for muddin.

I do know that Dana makes what you want, but you already know that as well. As far as what gearing you need, try a jeep or rock crawler forum.

BTW, I'm saying rock crawling cause not only do I know that is real popular where you're at, but also because I can't see you wanting a locking differential on the street. Hell those 33" are bad enough. I do wanna see pics though.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 am

Marconius wrote:Yeah, that's outside my area of knowledge. Sorry about the ignorance, but if we ain't talking street muscle.....I know squat. A bit of bracket racing and cruising is what I do. There ain't no rocks to climb my neck of the woods and I don't modify my truck for muddin.

I do know that Dana makes what you want, but you already know that as well. As far as what gearing you need, try a jeep or rock crawler forum.

BTW, I'm saying rock crawling cause not only do I know that is real popular where you're at, but also because I can't see you wanting a locking differential on the street. Hell those 33" are bad enough. I do wanna see pics though.

I just want it for the ice. Rolling Eyes

You're spot on about me wanting it for the rocks. The Jeep forums are a little bit strange when it comes to selectable lockers for the 8.8. While it is a common axle to swap in (can be had for cheap, are everywhere, are stronger than Dana 44's stock, almost as strong as a Dana 60 with chromo shafts, almost the same width as stock, and just require a little welding to install), most people who do it either leave it open or have dedicated off road rigs and use automatic lockers (I do occupationally have to drive in ice). Eaton and Auburn both make electric selectable lockers, however Easton's design is supposed to be weak (surprising, since they usually have a great reputation) and Auburn uses a clutch based design that wears out (and is god-awful expensive to have the clutches replaced). The only two selectable lockers that I know of that have good reps are Ox (manually actuated, meaning you pull a cable) and ARB (air locker), and both set-ups cost >$1000! I'd rather put that kind of money into a lift high enough to properly run my 33's (my 2" lift if ~1/2 what I need to best run 33's).

The 8.8 I've got sitting in the garage has the OEM limited slip, and I heard that you can over-pack it and make it very aggressive. It won't help you in the rocks; but in sand, snow, loose dirt, or any other low traction situation where both tires are on the ground its supposed to be great. Perhaps I'll have to go this route.

I'm (hopefully) going to pick up a new set of mud tires in the next couple weeks. I'll post up some pics after I have them on.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Just talked to my buddy back in Louisiana. He said that with the tire and engine combo you have, he wouldn't go over a 4.58. He isn't big on lockers, but did say the manual would be your best setup.

He did want to know what tranny you were running and if you were sure the clutch plates could take the extra stress of turning those tires. Especially when combined with a more agressive rear chunk.

That is why I stick to the simple hotrod stuff. That offroading is too damn expensive. Nick started rattling off stuff that I never even considered. He says there are charts out there on this here internet that will help you decide what you need, but he neglected to tell me where to find those charts.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down