Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgia details nuke black market investigations

3 posters

Go down

Georgia details nuke black market investigations Empty Georgia details nuke black market investigations

Post by Dennis324 Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:47 am

Despite years of effort and hundreds of millions of dollars spent in the fight against the illicit sale of nuclear contraband, the black market remains active in the countries around the former Soviet Union. Radioactive materials, mostly left over from the Cold War, include nuclear bomb-grade uranium and plutonium, and dirty-bomb isotopes like cesium and iridium.

The extent of the black market is unknown, but a steady stream of attempted sales of radioactive materials in recent years suggests smugglers have sometimes crossed borders undetected. Since the formation of a special nuclear police unit in 2005 with U.S. help and funding, 15 investigations have been launched in Georgia and dozens of people arrested.

What this article is talking about is black marketeers trying to sell materials to make dirty bombs. When the old Soviet Union fell, I remember the fear was that all those weapons and materials might fall into the hands of terrorists.

In this article, Russia claims that all of its its radioactive material — including bomb-grade uranium and plutonium, is secure. And that Georgia is exagerrating the risk because of political tension in Moscow. However, if this is so, why would Obama in a speech say that Georgia and Moldova have seized highly enriched uranium from smugglers? Why would the AP say that 15 investigations have been launched in Georgia and dozens of people arrested? And why would Turkey also make a claim that the stuff is being smuggled out. They arrested someone year...so why was the person arrested?

The answer is that Russia is lying. But why? What do they get out of lying about this?
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Georgia details nuke black market investigations Empty Re: Georgia details nuke black market investigations

Post by Bryant Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:25 am

My likely ill-informed guess would be they're either a) trying to avert the shame of how the Soviet Union dissolved or b) several of those holding high ranks in the current government (there are more than a few former KGB folks in there, see Putin for starts) made their fortune selling these arms in the wake of the fall of the Soviet Union.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Georgia details nuke black market investigations Empty Re: Georgia details nuke black market investigations

Post by Miles1 Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:32 am

Dennis324 wrote:
The answer is that Russia is lying. But why? What do they get out of lying about this?

Because a lot of the $$$ used to secure the former USSR's nukes comes from the US (something like $500m a year for the last 20 years), so the Russians don't want to admit that their security system isn't all tickety-boo in case someone asks where all the funds went...
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 am

Oh those are good points! I hadnt thought about the embarrassment they would have after taking money from us if this got out. Actually I hadnt thought about us paying them at all but it makes sense.

I suspect that when the old Soviet Union fell, a lot of the old Soviet officers and/or KGB found themselves with all weapons on their hands. Communication was probably abysmal and a lot of stuff ....just got lost...for lack of another phrase. It wouldnt surprise me if some of this stuff were sold on the black market. This is what scared me at the time...that this stuff might fall into the hands of people who want to hurt the West, Israel and the US.

I also worry about these big shipping containers being offloaded into our ports from cargo ships. Most arent inspected in any way. I'm stunned that some sort of dirty bomb or materials havent already been used in our cities.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down