Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quotable Quotes from the FF

Go down

Quotable Quotes from the FF Empty Quotable Quotes from the FF

Post by Marconius Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:15 pm

JAMES MADISON---Father of the Constitution
(1751-1836) Lawyer, Planter, Authored 29 of the 85 “Federalist Papers”, Member of the Constitutional Congress, U.S. Secretary of State, Fourth President of the United States of America.

"[T]he government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government"

speech in the House of Representatives, January 10, 1794

James Madison

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite.

Federalist Paper No. 45, January 26, 1788

Benjamin Franklin

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.

On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766

Samuel Adams

Among the natural rights of the Colonists are these: First, a right to life; Secondly, to liberty; Thirdly, to property; together with the right to support and defend them in the best manner they can. These are evident branches of, rather than deductions from, the duty of self-preservation, commonly called the first law of nature.

The Rights of the Colonists, November 20, 1772

Samuel Adams

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.

Letter to James Warren, November 4, 1775

John Adams

"You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be REPEALED or RESTRAINED by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe."

This is a paraphrase of the following quotes from John Adams 1765 A Dissertation on the Canon and Feudal Law: "I say RIGHTS, for such they have, undoubtedly, antecedent to all earthly government; Rights, that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; Rights, derived from the great Legislator of the universe

James Madison

In the first place, it is to be remembered, that the general government is not to be charged with the whole power of making and administering laws: its jurisdiction is limited to certain enumerated objects, which concern all the members of the republic, but which are not to be attained by the separate provisions of any.

Federalist No. 14, November 30, 1787
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down