Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you BBQ?

4 posters

Go down

Do you BBQ? Empty Do you BBQ?

Post by Dennis324 Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:58 pm

One of my greatest passions is slow-smoking a brisket or pork. Its a long procedure usually beginning with marinating the meat in a rub over night to dissolve and tenderize the fibers. Then slow cooking the meat at around 200F to 250F in a smoker or grill. I have an upright smoker
Do you BBQ? Smoke_hollow_dual_burner_vertical_gas_smoker
but sometimes I cook the meat on a grill. Webers are really nice and you can achieve pretty good success on this type of grill if you dont have a smoker.
Do you BBQ? Baby-back-ribs1

Do you guys love to BBQ or even just grill a steak or burger from time to time?

There are many spices and rubs you can buy in stores or online if you like. But here's a nice rub you can make to dust your ribs or pork butt prior to smoking.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Paprika
1/8 cup Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1-2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
1-2 tablespoons Onion Powder
1 tablespoon or more Cayenne Pepper
1/4 cup Coarse Salt
1/4 cup Brown or White Sugar

This will coat up to 6 lbs. Pork Ribs and 10 lbs. Pork Shoulder or Pork Roast.

You guys got any grilling recipes or rubs or marinades you like to use?

Do you BBQ? 1499634349_670e173e11_z
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Do you BBQ? Empty Re: Do you BBQ?

Post by Dennis324 Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 pm

See why I need to know what sort of Belgian Beer to try? Nothing better than tending the smoker, then sitting back and downing an ice cold beer and shootin the bull with some friends. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 am

I have no advice on BBQs anyway. The weather is too unreliable here - in fact, the best way to ensure that it's going to rain on any given day here is to plan a BBQ for that day...
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Miles1 wrote:I have no advice on BBQs anyway. The weather is too unreliable here - in fact, the best way to ensure that it's going to rain on any given day here is to plan a BBQ for that day...

No excuses, growing up in the mountains the BBQ in the back yard was my dads favorite piece of cooking equipment and was used almost daily (we never microwaved hot dogs, fried hamburgers, or baked a stake, everything was done over open flame). Heck, he'd be out there is pouring rain or in the snow cooking!

As for me BBQing, I have a Weber Q120 gas grill that I use occasionally. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly good at cooking on it, the only thing that I can BBQ that is better than average are hamburgers (its a fairly simple recipe, I mix Worcestershire sauce, caramelized onions, black pepper, and garlic salt into the patty before grilling). I think I want to try to BBQ a tri-tip (best cut of steak ever) for my wife's birthday next weekend, but last time I tried that it caught fire.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Bryant wrote:

No excuses, growing up in the mountains the BBQ in the back yard was my dads favorite piece of cooking equipment and was used almost daily (we never microwaved hot dogs, fried hamburgers, or baked a stake, everything was done over open flame). Heck, he'd be out there is pouring rain or in the snow cooking!

Well, there's no BBQ culture here - we just go to the pub instead. You need reliable good weather at least some of the time to be able to get into BBQing. Over here, there are 2 things you never leave the house with during an irish summer - your sunglasses and your umbrella :-)

I think I want to try to BBQ a tri-tip (best cut of steak ever) for my wife's birthday next weekend, but last time I tried that it caught fire.

How the hell do you catch a steak on fire?

Speaking of steaks, here's something to try as a marinade.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:07 pm

I am planning on building a Santa Maria style open flame pit right off my back patio. Bryant can vouch for this; Santa Maria style BBQ results in some of the best steak, pork chops, and ribs I could ask for.

Somethin like this would be perfect:

Do you BBQ? BBQ_Pit_sm

I've tried it in the pit I have now. To me, it seems that the brick radiates more even heat than the metal does.

Of course I will still use my Cajun Microwave for the big, slow cookin stuff (it's just like puttin a pig in the ground).

Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Miles1 wrote:

Oh no!!! Even more of those friggin Spider Monkeys are gonna die!!!

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/06/06/my-morning-cup-of-coffee-kills-monkeys/
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Miles1 wrote:
Bryant wrote:

Well, there's no BBQ culture here - we just go to the pub instead. You need reliable good weather at least some of the time to be able to get into BBQing. Over here, there are 2 things you never leave the house with during an irish summer - your sunglasses and your umbrella :-)

I think I want to try to BBQ a tri-tip (best cut of steak ever) for my wife's birthday next weekend, but last time I tried that it caught fire.

Tri-tip cuts are usually very thick, so people will wrap them in foil for the first part of the BBQ so they can heat them thoroughly without them drying out. In my case some of the fat melted, collected in the foil, and then found a hole that allowed it to leak down into the flame. That steak ended up rather well done.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Marconius wrote:I am planning on building a Santa Maria style open flame pit right off my back patio. Bryant can vouch for this; Santa Maria style BBQ results in some of the best steak, pork chops, and ribs I could ask for.

Somethin like this would be perfect:

Do you BBQ? BBQ_Pit_sm

I've tried it in the pit I have now. To me, it seems that the brick radiates more even heat than the metal does.

Of course I will still use my Cajun Microwave for the big, slow cookin stuff (it's just like puttin a pig in the ground).

I just knew, being from the South that you were a grillin freak and Thats a fine looking pit! :joker: I dont have a lot of experience cooking over one though. I tried it a few times at a friends cabin on the warrior river. But a few folks around here do bbq exactly that way and they make some fine cue. Mostly at little league ballgames or if the fire dept has a bbq in the summer. Last year they also made a big open-pit bbq and covered both a steer and a whole hog and made some cue. Wish I'd been there. Smile

Last edited by Dennis324 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Miles1 wrote:
Bryant wrote:

I've heard of this and have been wanting to try it. I just grilled some ribeyes, but maybe next time around I'll try coffee as a marinade. Yeah, some rubs havea lot of calories, what with all the sugar in them. Plus sodium because of the salt. Smile

Bryant's right....I've bbq'd in the freakin snow! If you truly love it, rain or snow wont stop ya from lighting up the grill. Thats what grill covers are for. Heh heh.

I think with a lot of us, once you start smoking (rather than just grilling), you become fascinated with how to take a tough piece of meat and slow cook it to make it moist and tender. Plus we all like to create our rubs and tweak them a little to make em a little different. And get the braggin rights if folks like what we'[ve done. I even make my own bbq sauce with tomatoes. Next time I think I'm gonna add some peach jam to my sauce. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Bryant wrote:
Miles1 wrote:I have no advice on BBQs anyway. The weather is too unreliable here - in fact, the best way to ensure that it's going to rain on any given day here is to plan a BBQ for that day...

As for me BBQing, I have a Weber Q120 gas grill that I use occasionally. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly good at cooking on it, the only thing that I can BBQ that is better than average are hamburgers (its a fairly simple recipe, I mix Worcestershire sauce, caramelized onions, black pepper, and garlic salt into the patty before grilling). I think I want to try to BBQ a tri-tip (best cut of steak ever) for my wife's birthday next weekend, but last time I tried that it caught fire.
Oh yeah, thats a nice grill! I like using gas because its so easy to control your fire. I dont have one that nice though. I have a Char-Broil Classic (except mine has a extra burner on one side to warm sauces or whatever). Its older and I dunno if they make it anymore. But yeah, gas is great AND you can get a lot of wood smoke out of them too. I just soak some wood chips or chunks or whatnot and wrap em in foil, punch holes in it and put the packet over 1 burner. I even managed to smoke a big packer brisket on that grill once! Lol!

If your interested, I would recommend 2 books that have helped me immensely.

1. How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques

2. Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue

These are my 2 go-to books for new ideas on rubs, or how to trim your ribs, or how to smoke or grill. And its fine if you dont have a smoker. Your grill (or even a charcoal one) will smoke fine. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 am

Well, I got the ribs, pork butt and sausage rubbed down. Will be firing up the smoker tonight and will be smoking until the early morning tomorrow.

On the menu:
Pineapple Sweet ribs,
Peach Pork Butt,
BBQ Chicken,
Grilled Sausage,
my slaw,
grilled potato salad
and Stuffed red bell peppers.

And I'll be sitting back, tending the fire and drinking some ice-cold Yeunglings.

Happy Independance Day gang!!!!
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Dennis324 wrote:Well, I got the ribs, pork butt and sausage rubbed down. Will be firing up the smoker tonight and will be smoking until the early morning tomorrow.

On the menu:
Pineapple Sweet ribs,
Peach Pork Butt,
BBQ Chicken,
Grilled Sausage,
my slaw,
grilled potato salad
and Stuffed red bell peppers.

And I'll be sitting back, tending the fire and drinking some ice-cold Yeunglings.

Happy Independance Day gang!!!!

Can we come?!?!?!?

Ok if we can't come, can I come?!?!?!?
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Lol! Wouldve been fun!!!! Had waaay too much and am still eating left-overs.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum