Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Syria: 'Bashar al-Assad ordered me to gas people - but I could not do it'

Go down

Syria: 'Bashar al-Assad ordered me to gas people - but I could not do it' Empty Syria: 'Bashar al-Assad ordered me to gas people - but I could not do it'

Post by Sir Pun Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:30 pm

General Zaher al-Sakat tells Richard Spencer that he was ordered three times to use chemical weapons against his own people in Syria - but he could not go through with it.

Few thought that the Syrian regime's promise to destroy its chemical weapons would be the end of the story. Brigadier-General Zaher al-Sakat, a former chemical weapons chief in President Bashar al-Assad's own army, certainly did not.

Gen Sakat says he was ordered three times to use chemical weapons against his own people, but could not go through with it and replaced chemical canisters with ones containing harmless bleach.

He also insists that all such orders had to come from the top – President Assad himself – despite insistent denials by the regime that it has never used chemical weapons.

Now he also claims to have his own intelligence that the Syrian president is evading the terms of a Russian-brokered deal to destroy his chemical weapons by transferring some of his stocks to his allies – Hizbollah, in Lebanon, and Iran.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down