Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Athiests in Government

4 posters

Go down

Athiests in Government Empty Athiests in Government

Post by Bryant Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:07 am

Athiests in Government 1234637_10151816097090155_1167103778_n

Texas Article 1 Section 4 of the Texas Constitution states:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."

Maryland Article 37 of the Maryland Constitution states:
"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution."

Pennsylvania Article I Section IV of the Pennsylvania Constitution states:
"No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."

Arkansas Article 19 Section 1 of the Arkansas Constitution is titled "Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness" and states:
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."

Mississippi Section 14 Article 265 of the Mississippi state constitution explicitly states:
"Denial of Supreme Being disqualification to hold office."

Tennessee Article 9 Section 2 of the Tennessee Constitution states:
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."

South Carolina Article 4 Section 2 of the South Carolina Constitution states:

"No person shall be eligible to the office of Governor who denies the existence of the Supreme Being; and who on the date of such election has not attained the age of thirty years; and who shall not have been a citizen of the United States and a citizen and resident of this State for five years next preceding the day of election. No person while Governor shall hold any office or other commission (except in the militia) under the authority of this State, or of any other power.'

North Carolina Article 6 Section 8 of the North Carolina constitution states:
"Sec. 8. Disqualifications for office. The following persons shall be disqualified for office:

First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.

Second, with respect to any office that is filled by election by the people, any person who is not qualified to vote in an election for that office.

Third, any person who has been adjudged guilty of treason or any other felony against this State or the United States, or any person who has been adjudged guilty of a felony in another state that also would be a felony if it had been committed in this State, or any person who has been adjudged guilty of corruption or malpractice in any office, or any person who has been removed by impeachment from any office, and who has not been restored to the rights of citizenship in the manner prescribed by law."

Remind me again about how persecuted Christians are in the United States...
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Athiests in Government Empty Re: Athiests in Government

Post by Sir Pun Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:43 am

Dont see one word about christianity

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:32 am

It is one thing to post archaic laws. All states have dumbass, outdated laws on the books(oral sex is still technically illegal in Louisiana). It is however, something totally different to find one case where the law was enforced. I would bet close to 100% of law makers and enforcement in those states do not know those laws exist.

If you want to prove that there is not Christian persecution today, you most use pertinent, modern examples and not this kinda stuff.

Full disclaimer: I do not believe there is a war against Christians at this time, but there is not a war against athiests either.

You know, as a fellow athiest, I must say.....it is troubling to see you spend so much time hating that in which you do not believe in. Take a chill pill. That stress is gonna kill you.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 am

Marconius wrote:It is one thing to post archaic laws. All states have dumbass, outdated laws on the books(oral sex is still technically illegal in Louisiana). It is however, something totally different to find one case where the law was enforced. I would bet close to 100% of law makers and enforcement in those states do not know those laws exist.

If you want to prove that there is not Christian persecution today, you most use pertinent, modern examples and not this kinda stuff.

Full disclaimer: I do not believe there is a war against Christians at this time, but there is not a war against athiests either.

You know, as a fellow athiest, I must say.....it is troubling to see you spend so much time hating that in which you do not believe in. Take a chill pill. That stress is gonna kill you.
But these are not laws, they are parts of these states constitutions.  It is unconstitutional (at the state level) for me to ever hold a government position in those states. I've been hearing some Christians bitching and moaning about how Tim Tebow being cut is an example of how Christians are persecuted in the US -Tebow wasn't cut because he's a Christian, he was cut because he is a lousy QB-. My point was that there are no laws banning states from employing Christians, but several states have constitutional prohibitions against atheists holding government office (or in some cases unelected government posts).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:37 am

So file a suit. Surprised somebody hasnt already beat u to it.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:03 am

Marconius wrote:It is one thing to post archaic laws. All states have dumbass, outdated laws on the books(oral sex is still technically illegal in Louisiana). It is however, something totally different to find one case where the law was enforced. I would bet close to 100% of law makers and enforcement in those states do not know those laws exist.

I really appreciate that post man. Very Happy  I agree that there is not a war against Christianity here in the same way that there is in say...many Muslim Countries.  Our churches are not being burned (yet).  But I would say that in some cases we are being discriminated against.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:09 am

Bryant wrote:

But these are not laws, they are parts of these states constitutions.  It is unconstitutional (at the state level) for me to ever hold a government position in those states. I've been hearing some Christians bitching and moaning about how Tim Tebow being cut is an example of how Christians are persecuted in the US -Tebow wasn't cut because he's a Christian, he was cut because he is a lousy QB-.  My point was that there are no laws banning states from employing Christians, but several states have constitutional prohibitions against atheists holding government office (or in some cases unelected government posts).
I see your point.  Very Happy  The 1st Amendment says that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."  That's the Constitution and I'm not sure how State law can override the Constitution. 

While I personally don't believe that Separation of Church and State is in the Constitution (the phrase was based on a letter written by Thomas Jefferson, which only gave his opinion of the 1st amendment), the Constitution clearly tells us that no laws at all will be made regarding religion.  This includes the lack of faith or whatever. 

So imo, those states have laws on the books which are patently Un-Constitutional.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:08 pm

And btw, its my belief that Tebow was not cut because he is a Christian, but rather that he just isn't good enough to play QB in the NFL.  Believe me when I tell you that if Tebow (whom I like) was good enough to play football in the NFL, he'd be playing football in the NFL.  Teams would probably hire a Satanist or a Muslim jihadist if it would help them win.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 am

Bryant wrote:

But these are not laws, they are parts of these states constitutions.  It is unconstitutional (at the state level) for me to ever hold a government position in those states. I've been hearing some Christians bitching and moaning about how Tim Tebow being cut is an example of how Christians are persecuted in the US -Tebow wasn't cut because he's a Christian, he was cut because he is a lousy QB-.  My point was that there are no laws banning states from employing Christians, but several states have constitutional prohibitions against atheists holding government office (or in some cases unelected government posts).
Ah....constitutions ARE laws and without progressives in this country, they would be the only laws outside of many local laws.

To explain that would be a long post so we will leave it at that.

Whatever.....they are not being enforced, unless you really think there are zero atheist politicians in those states. That is a statistical impossibility.

The citizens of those states should follow the actions to change those laws. The angry progressives halfway across the country should STFU and let the states handle it. Quit meddling and let the process work the right way for a change Instead of crying, whinning, and general bullying to get their way.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Marconius wrote:The angry progressives halfway across the country should STFU and let the states handle it. Quit meddling and let the process work the right way for a change Instead of crying, whinning, and general bullying to get their way.
How is arguing that states adhere to Article VI of the US Constitution progressive? How is decrying states delegating atheists to second class citizens bullying?
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:25 am

Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:The angry progressives halfway across the country should STFU and let the states handle it. Quit meddling and let the process work the right way for a change Instead of crying, whinning, and general bullying to get their way.
How is arguing that states adhere to Article VI of the US Constitution progressive?  How is decrying states delegating atheists to second class citizens bullying?
There's a test?!?!? Holy shit, there is a test!!!!

Seriously......
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am

If one wants to disallow me political service just because I do not believe, then:

1) Prove it

2) and most importantly......thanks man.....I didn't want it anyway.

Second class citizens is a reach. I know I feel so left out.

Now are we gonna see some "grass roots" movement started by some rich investor who then buses in protestors from the other side of the country??? You know, typical progressive modus operendi. That is when tye bullies come out to play. You know, those tolerent progressives who say all who don't agree should he lined up and shot(I personally think that is why most mass shooters fall under the banner of progressives.....those people are fuckin crazy man).
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:15 am

Well, imo, Atheists should be allowed and are allowed to run for public office.  Its up to me to decide if I wanna vote for them or campaign against them if I want to.  And actually, these days I just wanna fish and watch football games.  Cool
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:31 am

Dennis324 wrote:Well, imo, Atheists should be allowed and are allowed to run for public office.  Its up to me to decide if I wanna vote for them or campaign against them if I want to.  And actually, these days I just wanna fish and watch football games.  Cool
Fish and football...........bout time you get your priorities right.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:57 pm

lol!
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content