Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts

4 posters

Go down

Thoughts Empty Thoughts

Post by Sir Pun Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:06 am

1. How does your family keep you safe?
2. How does the government keep its citizens safe?
3. How does your family keep you healthy?
4. How does the government keep its citizens healthy?
5. How does your family help you learn and become educated?
6. How does the government help its citizens learn and become educated?
7. What kind of rules does your family have for you?
8. What kind of rules does government have for its citizens?
9. How does your family punish you when you break the rules?
10. How does government punish citizens who break the law?

Thoughts? Mine are as follows. Firstly, kids arent the boss in their families, as citizens are supposed to be the boss of government. Secondly, we owe our existence to our family, while our govwrnment owes its existence to us. I guess one way the comparison does work, is that when a family member (or government) gets too old and cant work anymore, the burden falls to the rest of the family (or citizens).

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Thoughts Empty Re: Thoughts

Post by Dennis324 Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:57 pm

1.  My family could give a rats @ss about me.  My mom does, but she's elderly and in a wheelchair.  My aunts, Uncles, cousins, etc...could care less.

2. Govt does its best work when it mostly gets out of the way.  Of course there are some things we need govt for, but in most cases they just need to get out of the way.

3. My family doesn't keep me healthy.  See #1.

4.  I get my meds and heathcare from the VA, so...  It isn't the best option, but its better than nothing.

5. My mom and dad did send me to college.  But honestly most of what I've learned I did on my own.

6. I used the Pell grant and VA benefits to go to school.  Also did Work study and worked while in College.

7. My parents had rules...boy did they have rules.  Lol!  Kept me out of jail though.
8. Eh... Obamacare...if it becomes mandatory for people to have health insurance, isn't that a case of govt making more rules?

Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:05 am

Sir Pun wrote:1. How does your family keep you safe?
2. How does the government keep its citizens safe?
3. How does your family keep you healthy?
4. How does the government keep its citizens healthy?
5. How does your family help you learn and become educated?
6. How does the government help its citizens learn and become educated?
7. What kind of rules does your family have for you?
8. What kind of rules does government have for its citizens?
9. How does your family punish you when you break the rules?
10. How does government punish citizens who break the law?

Thoughts? Mine are as follows. Firstly, kids arent the boss in their families, as citizens are supposed to be the boss of government. Secondly, we owe our existence to our family, while our govwrnment owes its existence to us. I guess one way the comparison does work, is that when a family member (or government) gets too old and cant work anymore, the burden falls to the rest of the family (or citizens).
1. They don't anymore (although I have no doubts they would do everything they could should it be needed).

2. Police, Fire, Military, and Intelligence. While many smaller communities could more or less self police if necessary, police are what keep the peace in many large cities. Local, state (ODF), and Federal (USFS and BLM) fire fighters saved John Day from burning down this year. North Fork almost burned back when I was in middle school, it was the hard work of government fire fighters that saved that town as well.

3. My parents fed me well and had me under their medical plan until I moved out. Not much of either any more.

4. By creating standards and regulations for things like food, pollution, structures, etc. Programs like Medicaid allow access to doctors and medicine that they wouldn't otherwise receive. God willing, someday we will manage a healthcare system like the UK. The government also funds lots of HHS and medical research and programs.

5. My parents were big on punishing me for slacking off in elementary and high school. My parents also paid a small amount of my college tuition my sophomore year.

6. I've only attended government schools. The K-8 school I went to in North Fork was public. The high school I went to was public. The university I earned by BS from is public. I learned form government employees. I paid tuition with government grants and government loans. My parents couldn't have afforded to send three kids to private school if they wanted. Without the government I wouldn't have amounted to much of anything.

7. My wife has rules...Rolling Eyes My parents used to have rules for me, but now I'm an adult. So long as I refrain from being a giant ass to religious people on Facebook they tend to be happy.

8. Lots.

9. Growing up I usually either got grounded, got spanked, or both. Now they only have guilt (although this seems more effective than spanking or groundings ever were).

10. Depends on the law. Some folks get help (rehab, community service, etc), some get locked away (justly or not).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 am

Bryant wrote:
7. My wife has rules...Rolling Eyes My parents used to have rules for me, but now I'm an adult.  So long as I refrain from being a giant ass to religious people on Facebook they tend to be happy.
lol!   She's looking over your shoulder as you type...right.  Wink
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Lol

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 am

I just saw these very same questions. Supposedly they are taken from a 4th grade quiz outta Chicago. I have done a quick scan to see if it is real. May be to early for that 'cause I didn't find anything.

Answering those questions from a child's perspective is the only way they make sense. That is why I never answered them in the first place.

Bottom line, I never will compare my family to government. They are not now and never will be the same.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:53 pm

You guys see the 8th grade test from 100 years ago?

Answer these questions without looking this stuff up.

Arithmetic
1. Write in words the following: .5764; .000003; .123416; 653.0965; 43.37.
2. Find cost at 12 ½ cents per sq. yd. of kalsomining the walls of a room 20 ft. long, 16 ft. wide and 9 ft. high, deducting 1 door 8 ft. by 4 ft. 6 in. and 2 windows 5 ft. by 3 ft. 6 in. each.
3. How long of a rope is required to reach from the top of a building 40 ft. high, to the ground 30 ft. from the base of the building?

Grammar
1. How many parts of speech are there? Define each.
2. What properties have verbs?
3. Diagram: The Lord loveth a cheerful giver.

Geography
1. Define longitude and latitude.
2. Name and give the capital of States touching the Ohio River.
3. Name in the order of their size the three largest States in the United States.

Physiology
1. How does the liver compare in size with other glands in the human body? Where is it located? What does it secrete.
2. Define Cerebrum; Cerebellum.
3. What are the functions (or uses) of the spinal column?

Civil Government
1. Name five county officers, and the principal duties of each.
2. Name three rights given to Congress by the Constitution and two rights denied to Congress.
3. Describe the manner in which the president and vice-president of the United States are elected.

History
1. Who first discovered the following places: Florida, Pacific Ocean, Mississippi River, St. Lawrence River?
2. Name the last battle of the Civil War; War of 1812; French and Indian War and the commanders in each battle.
3. Who invented the following: Magnetic, Telegraph, Cotton Gin, Sewing Machine, Telephone, Phonograph.

You can find all of the answers here.
Thoughts 4173802833

Last edited by Dennis324 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Damn, they actually taught back then!

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down