Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Short Necked Giraffes

2 posters

Go down

Short Necked Giraffes Empty Short Necked Giraffes

Post by Marconius Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:40 pm

http://natureinstitute.org/pub/ic/ic10/giraffe.htm

I loved this paragraph:

I sometimes wonder why no one has maintained that the giraffe has, in reality, a short neck. If you observe a giraffe drinking or, as they occasionally do, grazing close to the ground, then you know what I mean (see Figure 4). Giraffes do not drink often, but when they do, they have to either splay their forelegs to the side or bend their forelegs strongly at the wrist joint. Both procedures take time and are awkward for the giraffe. But only in this way can it get the tip of its mouth down to the surface of the water. So, looked at from the perspective of drinking, the giraffe has a very short neck. Antelopes and zebras reach the ground without bending their legs, and the long-legged elephant has its trunk to compensate for its short neck. Only the giraffe (and its rain forest relative, the Okapi) have necks that are so short relative to their legs and chest that they must splay or bend their legs.

Prolly because I always seem to look at things from "a different perspective" than most.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Short Necked Giraffes Empty Re: Short Necked Giraffes

Post by Dennis324 Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Maybe so but that giraffe still has a long neck.  lol!
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down