Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice

4 posters

Go down

Advice Empty Advice

Post by Bryant Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:20 pm

My wife just accepted a job in a low income area with an emerging gang problem in extreme eastern Oregon (on the Idaho border). What housing that is available is sketchy and located in variably low income areas. This area is a few hours from where I live (I can't leave here until my job is up in December), and I'm a bit concerned for her safety over there. I've been thinking about buying her a gun for personal protection, however I'm not sure what type would be best suited to her needs. She is a small woman (5'2" 120 lbs) and has no experience using anything other than a bb gun (we'd get her trained). The firearm would be for home defense, she wouldn't be concealed carrying it (taking it to work would be a felony!). What firearms would be best suited for this task? If it was for me I'd go with a shotgun like the one my dad bought the other year, however I don't think she'd do well with that much kick. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Advice Empty Re: Advice

Post by Marconius Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:14 am

Several choices for the ladies. None of them pistols. Stick to something easier, yet still be somewhat small and compact.

Cheapest route is the Kel Tec Sub2000. This is a pistol caliber carbine. It can be had in .40 or 9mm and takes Glock magazines. It folds for storage inside the nightstand drawer. I would get the .40 cal.

Next option is the M1 carbine. Round is slightly more powerful than the .40 cal. Handy rifle and can be had with a folding stock for storage.

Last and most expensive is a rifle caliber carbine in 7.62x39. SKS and Mini 30 are the most inconspicuous.

Of all three, my wife uses the Mini 30.

A 12 guage would be best if you were there, but the weapon is too much for most ladies.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:17 am

All choices made while considering penetration concerns. None of those will overpenetrate. The 7.62x39 would not be considered if others inhabit the house. The round will penetrate interior walls, but not so much outside walls.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 am

A small shotgun, something she feels comfortable with is prob ur best best. As for pistols, i know a lot of women like PPKs. James bond's gun.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:23 am

The most important thig though is to let her shoot whatever u get so she feels comfortable with it and not intimidated. Let her getthe feel of it, and she may like it.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:23 am

PPK is also .30 cal i believe

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:36 am

But obviously, if its something she wants to carry with her, like in a purse, then it pretty much has to be a pistol. Now i know derringers are popular with ladies because of their small size. The only downside is you only get 4 shots. Now the reason marc said not a pistol is because its harder to aim. You can get just about any carbine configured to fire pistol rounds, even "ARs." Baretta CX4 (9mm) is probably another good choice. Kel tec RMR-30. May also want to check out the roni px4 by baretta. Its basically a shoulder stock kit for a eegular pistol

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:44 am

Kel tec ksg shotgun is a 14 gauge with two pistol grips. I bet that would be perfect if she wasnt intimidated by it.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:53 am

Kel tec ksg shotgun is a compact 12 gauge with two pistol grips. I bet that would be perfect if she wasnt intimidated by it. Holds 14 rounds only abt a foot and a half long

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:54 am

A other cool pistol carbine kit is the hera. Basically like the PX4, it takes a pistol, and adds a rail system and shoulder stock.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:08 am

May also want to get a red dot sight, to make it easier to aim, esp in the dark.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:25 am

Marconius wrote:Several choices for the ladies. None of them pistols. Stick to something easier, yet still be somewhat small and compact.

Cheapest route is the Kel Tec Sub2000. This is a pistol caliber carbine. It can be had in .40 or 9mm and takes Glock magazines. It folds for storage inside the nightstand drawer. I would get the .40 cal.

Next option is the M1 carbine. Round is slightly more powerful than the .40 cal. Handy rifle and can be had with a folding stock for storage.

Last and most expensive is a rifle caliber carbine in 7.62x39. SKS and Mini 30 are the most inconspicuous.

Of all three, my wife uses the Mini 30.

A 12 guage would be best if you were there, but the weapon is too much for most ladies.
The wife was ok with the idea of the Kel Tec Sub2000, especially after seeing that it only weighs 4 pounds. The only catch is that should we return to California we wouldn't be able to take it shooting (in California any rife with a pistol grip is classified as an assault rifle and banned, whereas in Oregon you can have anything the Feds haven't banned). Is this a common rifle for a gun shop to carry? Although Grant County, where we currently live, is one of the most gun friendly areas in the north west, we don't have any traditional gun shops due to the low population (although the hardware store does carry basic hunting rifles/shotguns). When we go to a shop to look, we're ganna have to do some driving.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:45 am

Sir Pun wrote:Kel tec ksg shotgun is a compact 12 gauge with two pistol grips. I bet that would be perfect if she wasnt intimidated by it. Holds 14 rounds only abt a foot and a half long
The Kel Tek KSG is one badass shotgun, however I'm not going to spend a couple grand on something that will put my wife on her ass. That said, sometime when I have some disposable income I may get one for myself.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:49 am

Bryant wrote:The wife was ok with the idea of the Kel Tec Sub2000, especially after seeing that it only weighs 4 pounds.  The only catch is that should we return to California we wouldn't be able to take it shooting (in California any rife with a pistol grip is classified as an assault rifle and banned, whereas in Oregon you can have anything the Feds haven't banned).  Is this a common rifle for a gun shop to carry?  Although Grant County, where we currently live, is one of the most gun friendly areas in the north west, we don't have any traditional gun shops due to the low population (although the hardware store does carry basic hunting rifles/shotguns).  When we go to a shop to look, we're ganna have to do some driving.
As long as there is a place with an FFL (Federal Firearm License) you can order the weapon online and have it shipped to the FFL holder. If the business sells firearms, they must have an FFL. You then take care of your background check there. Check with the local sporting goods shops to see who is willing to handle the transfer and how much they will charge. Usually it is a minimal fee of $25-$50. Buying from a place like ableammo.com will give you a better price, for the weapon, anyway.

You then get to see just how much BS was being told when some claimed online sales needed no background check. They will only ship the weapon to the FFL holder and will never ship directly to you.

Other than that, the Sub2000 is usually only sold at shops that specialize in firearms. Walmart and such won't have it.

Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:53 am

Sir Pun wrote:May also want to get a red dot sight, to make it easier to aim, esp in the dark.
Red dot or a reflex.....either would be a great addition. Also a flashlight with the strobe function. If she goes with the Sub2000, the weapon has rails for both.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Bryant wrote:
Sir Pun wrote:Kel tec ksg shotgun is a compact 12 gauge with two pistol grips. I bet that would be perfect if she wasnt intimidated by it. Holds 14 rounds only abt a foot and a half long
The Kel Tek KSG is one badass shotgun, however I'm not going to spend a couple grand on something that will put my wife on her ass.  That said, sometime when I have some disposable income I may get one for myself.
You don't have to spend that much on a shotgun though.  It doesn't have to be that particular one.

I love the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870.  You can get both for around $2-300 or so.
The pump action shotgun is pretty easy to use.  Just point and shoot.  Easy to load, etc.  Plus nothing will chill your sh*t like hearing that shell being chambered in complete darkness.  And they don't kick hard.  Get a 20 gauge if she's worried about that.  You can also get her a gas operated automatic which is even simpler to use.  (Its really semi automatic).  Once you load it, it really is just point and shoot.  Note, its gonna do some damage to your walls, but you can replace that.  Cant replace your family.

You can get her a youth model if you like.  An 18 inch barrel is great!  Load it with buckshot...not birdshot.

Check out this LINK for much more info about home defense for women.  ITs a great site!
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Sir Pun wrote:A small shotgun, something she feels comfortable with is prob ur best best. As for pistols, i know a lot of women like PPKs. James bond's gun.
Yeah, the .380 PPK is a nice little pistol!  Cool  It wont blow a wall down like a shotgun, but it'll get the job done. 

Advice 6161525854_720cd823f7_z

Id love to have one for concealed carry.  In fact, if the law allows, get her training, then a concealed carry permit and let her put this in her purse or under her pillow.  Doesn't have to be a Walther, but the .380 is sweet.

We should give women credit.  I dunno what size she is, but when properly trained, even small women can handle powerful handguns.  Biggest problem is getting over the fear of the kick.  That comes from time at the shooting range.

Also everyone should understand the laws of carrying weapons.  Don't carry one at any Federal or State Building or school.  Its a federal crime and will get you into a world of trouble.  also usually you cant carry them across state lines.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Yeaha blinder!

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Foregrip couldnt hurt

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Mac10 is even lighter bryant lol

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:04 am

Mac 10's jam like crazy. They only work good in the movies.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down