Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Todays youth

4 posters

Go down

Todays youth Empty Todays youth

Post by Sir Pun Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:04 am

So rebellion is a natural part of youth, right? But im having a hard tome judging today's youth. If youre a lib, then you probably wont see it, but the school system, and even entertainment built around kids is kind of indoctrinating. Seems like we're trying to raise a bunch of little automatons, in lock step with whatever the pop-culture narrative of the day is, such as: vegetables basically being the only food mentioned in cartoons anymore. Even pizza has to be veggie pizza. The whole "everyones a winner" thing. Teens being used to sell obamacare to their families. And those are just off the top of my head But i dont so much see rebellion against the system anymore. seems like a lot of this is just soaked up. Ironically, the left once stood for this, but now they have become the system, and molded it in their image, and want compliance. So to rebel against the big-state left would *gasp* mean thinking conservatively and THAT most definitely isnt "cool."

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Todays youth Empty Re: Todays youth

Post by Dennis324 Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Sir Pun wrote:So rebellion is a natural part of youth, right? But im having a hard tome judging today's youth. If youre a lib, then you probably wont see it, but the school system, and even entertainment built around kids is kind of indoctrinating. 

Kind of?  Very Happy
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 pm

I had problems with my son thinking that we were idiots. Now that he is 23, he has admitted to me that his way of thinking was shaped by kids TV. All the shows he used to watch showed the adults as blithering idiots and only the kids had any sense. He said he wasn't aware of it until later, but he now claims he will never let his kids watch that crap.

Dunno how much truth there is to it, but I kinda thought his revelation to me was interesting.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Sir Pun wrote:So rebellion is a natural part of youth, right? But im having a hard tome judging today's youth. If youre a lib, then you probably wont see it, but the school system, and even entertainment built around kids is kind of indoctrinating.

Does the media influence children to become killers?
This article says that scientists claim rock music triggers primal instincts in our children. The instincts from the pitch and frequency of rock music resemble the distress calls of animals, triggering an emotional response.  Also that researchers found children who prefer rock, goth and punk music at an early age were more prone to delinquent behaviors when they got older. The delinquent behaviors studied were smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol. The findings suggest a prediction can be made from the choice (of music) to the resulting behaviors. Apparently, music appears to predict or influence risky behaviors in children.

Now I don't doubt that really, but I'd love to know who these researchers and scientists were.  I don't think that article ever said.

The Journal of the National Medical Association says that the portrayal of violence, sex, and drugs/alcohol in the media has been known to adversely affect the behavior of children and adolescents.

And Dr Jim Taylor tells us that the sexualization of little girls is a disturbing trend.  He cites a Study entitled "why six year old girls want to be sexy" that found that girls as young as six years old wanted to be like dolls who were dressed in a sexy way compared to dolls who were dressed stylishly, but covered up. These young girls associated being sexy with being the way they wanted to look, being popular in school, and who they wanted to play with. Another finding of the study was the girls who spent a lot of time with media and who had mothers who were overly invested in their own appearance were more likely to identify with the sexily clad dolls.

You know, when I think of ads that are on tv...the point of an ad is to get us to buy their product.  So to me, its pretty clear that tv and the entertainment media does influence people one way or another.  Yes, we have free will and can make choices.  But tv and film is powerful.

Now we have the FCC proposing to allow more sex and profanity during kids’ television viewing hours.  The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is proposing changes to its guidelines that would allow more racy content to infiltrate the small screen during hours when kids could tune in.

And if you think this is just a Fox news thing, just Google this topic.  TV execs was deliberately trying to fill the airways with more smut which can affect kids.  And IMO, it can affect adults too.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:11 am

I tell you man, my ten year old niece has been staying with us some this summer, and all she wants to watch is like rape and incest on law and order, and just all these "reality" shows that nothing but filth and exploitation. Even shit like toddlers and tiaras, dance moms, or smut on mtv. And thats not even mentioning the "adolescent" programming, which of course runs on some of the same kid channels. Those are the ones where the moronic parents are only occassionally in the background, and the richer and more absent they are, the more "awesome" their lives are.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 am

But thats not to mention all of the "healthy living" "acceptance" and "tolerance" of "alternative lifestyles" "save the planet" etc etc messaging constantly inserted in the programming. Everything is politically sensitive and its like, do we HAVE to politicize EVERY ASPECT of our kids lives? Wtf happened to letting kids be kids?

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:55 am

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

- Socrates

So the methods may change, but this isn't a new phenomenon.... :-P
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:30 pm

I think there was a time in our not-so-distant past when family values meant more and children did show respect to their elders.  Sure, many rebelled as teens usually do.  And bad things happened. 

But it seems that since the mid to late sixties our culture has grown more and more violent and disrespectful to the point of depravity.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Sir Pun wrote:I tell you man, my ten year old niece has been staying with us some this summer, and all she wants to watch is like rape and incest on law and order, and just all these "reality" shows that nothing but filth and exploitation. Even shit like toddlers and tiaras, dance moms, or smut on mtv. And thats not even mentioning the "adolescent" programming, which of course runs on some of the same kid channels. Those are the ones where the moronic parents are only occassionally in the background, and the richer and more absent they are, the more "awesome" their lives are.

Yeah, 'Toddler's is pretty bad.  I cant watch that show as the adults are just awful.  And I've blocked MTV from my tv.  That network is one of the worst.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:33 am

Dennis324 wrote:
 Yeah, 'Toddler's is pretty bad.  I cant watch that show as the adults are just awful.  And I've blocked MTV from my tv.  That network is one of the worst.

Call me old-fashioned, but I remember a time when the "M" in MTV stood for "Music" not "Mediocre"..........
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:33 am

Ya'll would laugh at the tv shows I watch.  Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Happy Days, Lavern & Shirley, Newhart, and old movies.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 am

Miles1 wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

Call me old-fashioned, but I remember a time when the "M" in MTV stood for "Music" not "Mediocre"..........

Those were the days. I remember when the only thing MTV played was music......not one damn game show or reality show. Then it changed thanks to Spike Lee, so they created MTV2 for music. Now there isn't even music there. MTVX doesn't even exist any more (loved that channel....it was all rock).
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down