Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

America's 1st slave owner?

3 posters

Go down

America's 1st slave owner? Empty America's 1st slave owner?

Post by Dennis324 Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:19 pm

I wont post this one on facebook because many of my friends are black and I don't want any misunderstandings.  But this to me is just interesting.

Anthony Johnson was an Angolan held as an indentured servant by a merchant in the Colony of Virginia in 1620, but later freed to become a successful tobacco farmer and property owner. Notably, he was the first true slave owner: that is, the first to hold a black African servant as a slave in the mainland American colonies.

I'm not trying to make a point here.  Most assuredly white men are to be blamed for most of the tragedy of slavery in our country.  But I do think this is an interesting tidbit of history.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

America's 1st slave owner? Empty Re: America's 1st slave owner?

Post by Bryant Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:20 am

Also interesting to note, Africans werent the first slaves used in North America. The white settlers (want to say British, but it could have been Spanish) initially enslaved some of the Indians, however they kept escaping and enslaving them sometimes resulted in being raided by the rest of the tribe.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:51 am

Good catch!  Its very true that the Spanish wanted to use Indians.  Actually (I think) Christopher Columbus tried this too.  Also the Indians just didn't adapt very well and didn't work hard like the Africans. 

Another interesting tidbit....American Indians (particularly the Cherokee) were sla veowners as well.  One example was a man named Joseph Vann.

'Rich' Joe Vann was  a Cherokee leader who owned Diamond Hill (now known as the Chief Vann House), many slaves, taverns, and steamboats that he operated on the Arkansas, Mississippi, Ohio, and Tennessee Rivers.

The only reason I know anything bout Joe Vann was because my G-great grandfather and his brother were on a steamboat that blew up way back then.  The explosion came about because Joe Vann got into a steamboat (The Lucy Walker...named after his prized racehorse) race with another b oat.  The race was so intense that they began breaking up furniture to use as firewood.  When they ran out of that, Joe demanded the slaves in the boiler room throw in sides of bacon to keep up.  The boiler exploded, killing many people.

My G-Great grandfather was a minister and the explosion blew off his thumb.  I still have his gold pocket watch and you can see scratches on the back cover where he was trying to hold onto it.

Here's an interesting link regarding slaves and so-called 'noble indians'.  NYT article
And an interesting story about The Steamship Lucy Walker disaster.

Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:03 am

Still irks me that the word slavery, basically means black american slavery. As if slavery began in 1776 and ended in 1865, and only took place in america. Why not the same sense of guilt for the spanish, french, portugese, and british, who created the new world slave trade? Why not the same sense of guilt in britain, where slavery was outlawed just 30 years or so before it was in america? Ill tell you why. Because the descendants of the slave populations didnt go to europe to live, they stayed here. And then of course the left totally rewrote history, with dems claiming they have always been the party for black americans, even though they opposed emancipation, implemented jim crow, fought on behalf of segregation, and it wasnt until after segregation was shotdown that dems began pandering to blacks. Guess they figured if they couldnt beat em, theyd control them.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Yep.  LBJ and JFK did the unthinkable by getting Black folks to start voting Democrat.  Previously, they had voted Republican for the most part.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down