Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group wants Bible removed from council chambers

+2
Sir Pun
Dennis324
6 posters

Go down

Group wants Bible removed from council chambers Empty Group wants Bible removed from council chambers

Post by Dennis324 Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:10 am

Group wants Bible removed from council chambers 1371093136626

PINELLAS PARK -- 
It’s the world’s best-selling book. But one group argues The Bible doesn’t belong in Pinellas Park’s city council chambers publically displayed next to the mayor’s desk.
The Freedom from Religion Foundation, based out of Wisconsin, wrote a detailed letter addressed to city leaders asking that the Bible be removed.

“It’s on display. And that certainly is improper. It shows an endorsement of the Bible as a holy book over other holy books,” said Annie Laurie Gaylor with the Freedom of Religion Foundation.

The group calls it one of the most egregious violations of Separation of Church and State it’s ever seen. But Tim Caddell, the Government Relations Administrator with Pinellas Park, says there’s more to the story.

The Bible was presented to the city on October 19th, 1975, as inscribed inside, by the Kiwanis club. The same book has been on the same desk for almost four decades.

“We’ve not had complaints from residents, from people who participated. We have complaints from groups who come in looking to find something wrong,” said Caddell.  Source

*Sigh*  No
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Group wants Bible removed from council chambers Empty Re: Group wants Bible removed from council chambers

Post by Sir Pun Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:01 am

Freaking bored atheists...

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Group wants Bible removed from council chambers Empty Re: Group wants Bible removed from council chambers

Post by Dennis324 Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:20 am

Zealots
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by SALTY Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:58 pm

I wonder how many council meetings they have attended over the years?

Let them go to a Muslim country and try to pull that kind of garbage

SALTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Sir Pun wrote:Freaking bored atheists...

Hey now. Many of us atheists have no problem with it. Just because I am an atheist, does not make me anti-theist.

The whole seperation of church and state thing is totally overplayed today. All that tells us is that our government will not become a theocracy and nothing else. Religious symbolism does not fall into that.

On the other hand, you guys should have no problem with people of other faith swearing on whatever religious text they happen to worship. For me, let me swear on the Constitution.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:16 am

Heard florida put up the nations first atheist monument, which made me think that nothing is a monument to nothing, but they made a bench instead

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 am

Sir Pun wrote:Heard florida put up the nations first atheist monument, which made me think that nothing is a monument to nothing, but they made a bench instead

Florida called AHA's bluff.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:19 am

Sir Pun wrote:Heard florida put up the nations first atheist monument, which made me think that nothing is a monument to nothing, but they made a bench instead

At least it's practical..... :-P
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:20 am

Lol

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:22 am

I would rather have some stupid atheist bench and no more lawsuits to remove christian symbology, but i doubt letting them have benches would stop that.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down