Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I struck out today.

5 posters

Go down

I struck out today. Empty I struck out today.

Post by Dennis324 Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Man..today was just not my day. I have been hit with fishing fever and this morning I went fishing for the first time in 30 years! I had already bought new rods reels, tackle, etc. I have a small pond onb my farm that hasnt been touched since...'84 or so. I decided to see wat I could manage there.

Nothing. Not a bite. Not a ripple on the water! Nothing! No strikes in the distance either. Not to mention I had difficulties with my gear.

I'm really down about this. I dunno if the problem is that I've lost my fishing skills or if my pond no longer has fish! And i dont know how to find out. No
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

I struck out today. Empty Re: I struck out today.

Post by Bryant Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:57 pm

After all that time the pond could well be fishless.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Im afraid it might. I've been online looking to see who I can contact for help. My dad took care of all this when he was alive. Wish he were here now to tell me what to do.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Bryant wrote:After all that time the pond could well be fishless.

I doubt it. Sac-a-lait would be there as well as flat nose minnows. A front just pushed through the gulf south. Barometric pressure prolly has more to do with It.........as well as what he was fishin for.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:29 pm

I couldnt resist. I bought a new reel today. I have tried spinning reels and dont like em. So I went back to what I like and bought a new spincasting reel. A Zebco Omega pro. I grew up with Zebco and though some may snobbishly refer to them as toys, I like em, and like fishing with them. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:41 am

Dennis324 wrote:
I'm really down about this. I dunno if the problem is that I've lost my fishing skills or if my pond no longer has fish! And i dont know how to find out. No

A stick of dynamite? :p

Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 am

Miles1 wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

A stick of dynamite? :p

Or an old hand crank telephone and a couple of stripped wires???
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Got some good news today! I talked with a friend of mine who fished in the pond last summer. He swears the fish are there and showed me some pics of some nice bass and bluegills that his nephews caught. He said they started out by throwing pieces of bread out on the water to get them striking, then fished with chicken gizzards.

That is a huge relief for me. So I'm planning on easing down there next wed or thursday and trying again. My new reel should be here by then.

Maybe I should think about feeding the fish like me and dsad used to when we first put fish in the pond? The pond is healthy, I know that, with pretty green algae on the bottom. And the area is pristine around the lake.

Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:01 am

Be sure to grab some pictures while your at it.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:07 am

Oh yeah there would be fish in there, prob some bigs too. Either A, they just werent biting (wrong time of day, month, what have you), or B, the pond hasnt been fished in so long that the fish arent used to it. Were u fishing on top or bottom?

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am

Both. And using different baits. Probably the weather.

Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:49 am

Had a fun day fishing in my pond yesterday! Caught some lovely bass on a hula popper. It was fun to watch the bass explode on this top water bait. Also actually caught 1 bass ....in a tree! Seriously! I noticed 1 bass jumping under some heavy cover and realized it was caught on a line that I had hung up way back in march. The hook had worked it's way down into the water and a bass hit it. I made my way through the brush and pulled the bass free with my hands. Poor thing, I just let it go. It had been through enough I figure. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down