Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geologists and Beer

2 posters

Go down

Geologists and Beer Empty Geologists and Beer

Post by Bryant Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:40 pm

I thought this video from Wired was great. It was filmed at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting in San Francisco. This is the largest annual professional meeting for Geologists and associated earth sciences. When I presented some research at the 2011 AGU meeting the attendance was 20,000. I think I heard last year they reached ~22,000 attendees! At 4:00 PM every day the beer carts are rolled out all over the two building complex. And yes, Geologists really do tend to drink a lot (from what little time I've spent looking at the seismo surveys Chevron gave us, I think one has to be loaded to interpret most geophysics data!). I really loved watching all these Geologists (ranging from undergraduates to PhDs) struggling to rationalize their beer consumption.

Side note, the chick on the right at 2:22 looks strangely like one of my ex girlfriends. scratch

Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Geologists and Beer Empty Re: Geologists and Beer

Post by Miles1 Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:06 am

Bryant wrote: And yes, Geologists really do tend to drink a lot (from what little time I've spent looking at the seismo surveys Chevron gave us, I think one has to be loaded to interpret most geophysics data!).

So do geological studies conform to the Ballmer Peak then?

Geologists and Beer Ballmer_peak
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down