Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pulpit Politics

4 posters

Go down

Pulpit Politics Empty Pulpit Politics

Post by Miles1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Pulpit politics: Pastors endorse candidates, thumbing noses at the IRS

Too long to copy/paste and has a few vids embedded, but basically a few christian pastors are thumbing their noses at the IRS by blatantly endorsing candidates from the pulpit in contravention of the law banning political endorsements by churches or other religious organizations who have tax exempt status. And guess which candidate they're mostly going for?
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Pulpit Politics Empty Re: Pulpit Politics

Post by Bryant Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 am

They're trying to get it before the Supreme Court. Thats why they were doing it so publicly.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:50 pm

I don't get it. It was no big deal 4 years ago when Rev Wright did it. In fact it was swept away, along with his rhetoric, about as neatly as it could've been. What changed????
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:49 pm

You're right Mark.

Ijust never cared for hearing preachers tell us who we ought to vote for though in the church. I understand that this is common in black churches, and once years ago I went to my old church and the preacher went on and on praising Jimmy Carter. Needless to say I didnt appreciate it. Funny how it wasnt too long after that his wife got caught running around with a deacon and that preacher left the church. Weird huh?

Imo, Church ought to help us define our character and values and preach the gospel to us. But leave the politics at the door.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 am

Marconius wrote:I don't get it. It was no big deal 4 years ago when Rev Wright did it. In fact it was swept away, along with his rhetoric, about as neatly as it could've been. What changed????

My position stands, regardless of the benefactor.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:52 am

Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:I don't get it. It was no big deal 4 years ago when Rev Wright did it. In fact it was swept away, along with his rhetoric, about as neatly as it could've been. What changed????

My position also stands. You never say anything on this topic unless it's the "other side" doing it.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:

My position also stands. You never say anything on this topic unless it's the "other side" doing it.

I plea ignorance! Side note, four years ago I voted for McCain.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:44 pm

Bryant wrote:
Side note, four years ago I voted for McCain.

I know. I've watched you transition from right wing progressive with some true conservative leanings to left wing progressive with hardly any conservative values left. Makes me think either:
1) Your new found hatred for religion has affected you

2) You started hanging around with a different crowd at the uni.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Marconius wrote:

Unis tend to do that, they're like sodom and gomorrah with loose women and endless booze. God, I miss college....
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:52 am

Miles1 wrote:
Marconius wrote:

Unis tend to do that, they're like sodom and gomorrah with loose women and endless booze. God, I miss college....

Worst thing about college for me was that it was a historic low point in LSU football. We couldn't buy a win in those days. Since I already had a son(but was not married yet), I kinda missed a few of the wild times.

I do not buy into the indoctrination thing. Yeah, students at some schools are more likely to become left wing progressives(Berkley, almost any Ivy school, etc.) but at LSU, and schools like it, there seems to be quite a few right wing progressives. If it is an A&M(LSU is technically an A&M), it is a good bet that it is hawkish(believe it or not, I was left wing progressive at the time......vegan even.......I did get better.....most of my friends of the time are still stagnant and blame the "powers that be".....fuckin loosers......starting to see the root of my hate, huh).

Of course all this current Pres Obama love and song at lower schools frighten the shit outta me. Reminds me of other times in history.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down