Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite tv shows?

3 posters

Go down

Favorite tv shows? Empty Favorite tv shows?

Post by Dennis324 Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:10 pm

I've really been enjoying a few lately.

Favorite tv shows? Tvhellonwheels Hell on Wheels documents the first transcontinental railroad's engineering and construction as well as institutionalized greed and corruption, the immigrant experience, and the plight of newly emancipated African-Americans during Reconstruction. Hell on Wheels chronicles this potent turning point in our nation's history and how uncivilized the business of civilization can be.

I love westerns and have long wished Westerns were still popular in this country. This western is darker than your typical john wayne...or even 'Man with no name" / Clint Eastwood western. It's gritty and graphic. Not for little kids. But a heckuva lot of fun! Stars Anson Mount as Cullen Bohannon, a former Confederate soldier, and his dramatic journey west as he struggles to leave his past behind. Also, stars Common as Elam Ferguson; Colm Meaney as Thomas "Doc" Durant; Dominique McElligott as Lily Bell; Christopher Heyerdahl as The Swede; Robin McLeavy as Eva; Tom Noonan as Reverend Cole; Ben Esler as Sean McGinnes; Philip Burke as Mickey McGinnes; and Eddie Spears as Joseph Black Moon.

The acting is very very good imo.

Favorite tv shows? Copper The 2nd show I've really been getting into is called . Copper. “Copper” is a gripping crime drama series, set in 1864 New York City, filled with intrigue, corruption, mystery and murder. Kevin Corcoran (Tom Weston-Jones, “MI-5″), an Irish-American former boxer turned cop, returns from the Civil War to find his wife missing and his daughter dead. Corcoran seeks justice for the powerless in the notorious immigrant neighborhood of Five Points. Bonded by battle to two Civil War compatriots – the wayward son of a wealthy industrialist and an African-American physician who secretly assists the forensic investigations – Corcoran is thrust into the contrasting worlds of elegant and corrupt Fifth Avenue, and the emerging African-American community in Northern Manhattan. The three men share a secret from the battlefield that inextricably links their lives forever.

This show is definately NOT for kids. It deals with mature subject matter. Again the acting is terrific. The setting is great and I especially enjoy it as I am currently finishing up the book "Killing Lincoln" (by Bill O'Reilly). It's interesting to watch this crime drama about an era before Miranda rights. Police corruption. Immigrants not trusting the cops or their neighbors. Gangs of the era. All set against the background of the Civil War. Again, this one is gritty and dark as well. And its interesting how both of these tv series feature prostitution in such a prominent role.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Favorite tv shows? Empty Re: Favorite tv shows?

Post by Miles1 Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:30 pm

We don't really get all that many new shows over here that aren't either some "new hit US comedy show" or some type of "Heroes" clone; there are the odd new "serious" series that pop up every now and then but for some reason I haven't found anything in a while that I've gotten into. Most of the good stuff comes on TV channels I don't have subscriptions to - plus with my work hours I don't get a lot of TV-watching time in the evenings. Last one I started getting into was "Game of Thrones", and that was only recently...

Most of the ones I watch are cop/mystery shows, but most are UK ones that have been running for years, like "Waking The Dead" or "New Tricks"....
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:13 pm

The Walking Dead's 3rd season started last night. Outside of college football, that is about the only show I really like to watch. I usually don't care what is on as long as it has nothing to do with Honey Boo Boo.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:27 am

Miles1 wrote:We don't really get all that many new shows over here that aren't either some "new hit US comedy show" or some type of "Heroes" clone; there are the odd new "serious" series that pop up every now and then but for some reason I haven't found anything in a while that I've gotten into. Most of the good stuff comes on TV channels I don't have subscriptions to - plus with my work hours I don't get a lot of TV-watching time in the evenings. Last one I started getting into was "Game of Thrones", and that was only recently..
I've had that book for years but have never read it. It really should dig it out and give it a look. I saw the adverts for the tv series 'Game' but its on HBO or Showtime or something like that...a pay channel and I dont get it. But it looks terrific and I want to see it. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum