Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Global Bacon Shortage

2 posters

Go down

Global Bacon Shortage Empty Global Bacon Shortage

Post by Miles1 Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 am

Global Bacon Shortage 'Unavoidable' Next Year, Says U.K.'s National Pig Association

With pork costs rising, Great Britain is facing a bacon and sausage shortage as pig farmers cut back on herd size. But the problem may soon become global.

In a recent press release, the U.K.'s National Pig Association is warning that a "world shortage of pork and bacon next year is now unavoidable":

New data shows the European Union pig herd is declining at a significant rate, and this is a trend that is being mirrored around the world. Pig farmers have been plunged into loss by high pig-feed costs, caused by the global failure of maize and soya harvests. All main European pig-producing countries report shrinking sow herds.

Financial Times reports that this past season's droughts in North America and Russia are to blame for the spike in prices for grain crops, which are used to feed animals.

As of August, nearly half of all counties in the U.S. were considered disaster areas due to extreme dryness and heat.

Some U.S. farmers have taken to extreme measures to feed their livestock and save money at the same time, including one Kentucky farmer who fed his cattle candy "just to survive."
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Global Bacon Shortage Empty Re: Global Bacon Shortage

Post by Marconius Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Damn, sorry to hear about that. I know you like your bacon. Enjoy it while you can. My cholesterol is slightly elevated so I can't eat it as much as I would like. The one that kills me is that I have to watch my shrimp intake as well. How the hell is a Coonass supposed to NOT eat shrimp??? That don't make a damn bit of sense!!!
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down