Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martian Geology

3 posters

Go down

Martian Geology Empty Martian Geology

Post by Bryant Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:37 am

Martian Geology 681052main_pia16105-43_946-710

Anyone able to guess what features in this picture could be incredibly useful in discerning the history of Mars?
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Martian Geology Empty Re: Martian Geology

Post by Miles1 Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 am

The rocks? :-P

Not being a geologist, would this be something to do with the announcement the other day that they may have found evidence of plate tectonics on mars?
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 am

I don't see anything in here that is directly indicative of tectonics save perhaps the tilting of the strata (hard to say, I'm not sure if the camera is level).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:06 am

Bryant wrote:I don't see anything in here that is directly indicative of tectonics save perhaps the tilting of the strata (hard to say, I'm not sure if the camera is level).

OK, then what are we looking for there so?
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 am

The actual makeup of the strata layers??? That's what we use here on Earth isn't it???

Badass pic BTW
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:51 am

Full pic is Here
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:15 pm

I've so far convinced myself that I see dipping strata (sedimentary rocks formed usually under water or alternatively volcanic flows, either of which have been faulted/folded to produce a non-horizontal orientation), aeolian (wind blown) sand deposited against some of the protruding rocks, and desert pavement (formed by soil process requiring water). I'm not sure if the low ridge in the near middle of the image is a bluff formed by alluvial process or a weathered fault scarp.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Bryant wrote:I've so far convinced myself that I see dipping strata (sedimentary rocks formed usually under water or alternatively volcanic flows, either of which have been faulted/folded to produce a non-horizontal orientation), aeolian (wind blown) sand deposited against some of the protruding rocks, and desert pavement (formed by soil process requiring water). I'm not sure if the low ridge in the near middle of the image is a bluff formed by alluvial process or a weathered fault scarp.

So your opinion is that Mars had substantial water levels at one time??? If true, what forces or events would cause the loss of water in Mar's atmosphere??? Is there any evidence of below ground water tables or is Mars completely devoid of water(seems like H and O would be found)???

Cool stuff really.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down