Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So whadda you drink

+2
Bryant
Marconius
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So whadda you drink Empty So whadda you drink

Post by Marconius Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Well for a long time I was an Abita drinker. Turbo Dog was my brew. Then my world got turned upside down and I went to Cali. Now let it be known that I lived in Holland for 2 years and thought the best beer in the world was found in Europe. Don't get me wrong, the various countries on the European continent (and the isles for our Irishman) does have great beer, but IMHO Cali is king of beer. The little local breweries found there put out some awesome products (first place I ever had blueberry beer and it was awesome).

Anyway, I am drinking an APA from Tapit brewery. I think Tapit is gonna replace Abita as my standby if I can get it sent to me in Louisiana (I brought what I have now back with me).

So what are you guys drinking?
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

So whadda you drink Empty Re: So whadda you drink

Post by Bryant Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah, in California we tend to have a slight obsession with hops. My favorite beer would likely be Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine (seasonal, usually out in early spring, very high hop and % alc), Sequoia Brewing Company Jacob Marley Barleywine (a great beer from Fresno's own brewery), or Russian River Brewing Company's Pliny the Elder (a great Double IPA brewed in the Bay Area).

I've also got a soft spot for Kern River Brewing Company's IPA (Kern River is an incredible brewing company located in the absolute middle of nowhere in the south Sierra Nevada, good food too), Sequoia Brewing General Sherman IPA (Fresno again), Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Celebration Ale, Lagunitas IPA, Stone Brewing Co. Arrogant Bastard (I've heard rumors about double bastard, but I'm yet to find it), Russian River Pliny the Younger Triple IPA (very hard to find, very hopy; volcanology reference also helps), Stone Brewing Co. Ruination IPA, Mad River Brewing Co. Pale Ale and DIPA, and of course the good ol' stand bye Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Pale Ale. Interesting note, all of the above are from California.

Marc, while in Holland did you ever get your hands on a good, sour lambic? I'm particularly fond of those, but unfortunately I've only been able to find good ones in the Bay Area (one can find fruity ones in any half rate liquor store around here, but no good sours).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Are these micro breweries? I've not tried any of the ones you guys mentioned.

Worst beer I ever had was in Italy by PEroni. Tasted like formaldahyde.

I used to LOVE Old Style. Slightly sweet. We couldnt get it down south back in the day and Milwaukee and Chicago is wher eI discovered it.

I drank Bud for years. A domestic beers go it ws good. Anheiser-Busch products were about all I liked back then.

Moosehead was decent back then.

I dont like Heinekin.
I dont like Beck.
I dont like Guiness even though I have tried to develop a taste for it.

I enjopy a light, crisp flavor, but these days I am more likely to choose root beer than a real beer.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Dennis324 wrote:Are these micro breweries? I've not tried any of the ones you guys mentioned.

I'm not familiar with the beer Marc mentioned, so I presume its a micro brew. Most of the beers I listed are produced by small breweries with limited distribution. The exceptions to this being Sierra Nevada (they're located out of Chico, CA at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains, however their Pale Ale is very widely distributed and they are currently building an additional brewing facility somewhere in the SE to service you folks on the other coast) and perhaps Stone Brewing (I remember Marc posting a pic of a Arrogant Bastard bottle a while back, which I presume he picked up in Louisiana not California).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 am

Dennis324 wrote:

Well, there's a reason Italy is known for producing wines and not beers :-p

There's a lot worse out there than Peroni though. The worst I've ever tasted was from Belgium, and is called Jupiler. Is so much the lowest-common-denominator beer over there that you can get it in soft drink vending machines beside the coke and 7up.....

Now if you like strong beers, this is what you want to get:

Sink The Bismarck!

Me, I like the Eastern European beers mostly, like Budvar, Pilsner Urquell or Zywiec. Have tried some of the US craft beers when I was in Seattle recently and they weren't bad, but I'd still prefer the stuff we get over here (it seems seattlites have a hard-on for IPAs, which aren't to my taste at all).

And no, I don't drink Guinness, or Murphys :-P
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Miles1 wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:

Well, there's a reason Italy is known for producing wines and not beers :-p

I hear Greece is no better for the exact same reason.

There's a lot worse out there than Peroni though. The worst I've ever tasted was from Belgium, and is called Jupiler. Is so much the lowest-common-denominator beer over there that you can get it in soft drink vending machines beside the coke and 7up.....

Thats disappointing, the Belgians usually have such a good reputation.

Now if you like strong beers, this is what you want to get:

Sink The Bismarck!

Is that even possible? I just sent that website to a friend of mine that is obsessed with brewing double-triple IPAs. It seems like one starts approaching a alcohol limit ~14 or so % when using traditional fermentation techniques.

Me, I like the Eastern European beers mostly, like Budvar, Pilsner Urquell or Zywiec. Have tried some of the US craft beers when I was in Seattle recently and they weren't bad, but I'd still prefer the stuff we get over here (it seems seattlites have a hard-on for IPAs, which aren't to my taste at all).

Well, then I don't think you'd really enjoy drinking in California then. While many breweries around here do produce Pilsners and Hefeweizen, the IPA or DIPA is usually the pride-and-joy beer that gets all the attention. California is the epicenter of the West Coast Indian Pale Ale revolution, which consisted of taking a traditional strong British ale and hopping the hell out of it to create a very bitter beverage. Green Flash IPA is perhaps the best example of a West Coast IPA (I don't like Flash as its too strong for my stomach to handle, however through its excesses its the quintessential WCIPA).

And no, I don't drink Guinness, or Murphys :-P

I didn't know you where allowed to not drink Guinness in Ireland. I've never actually tried Guinness, it just looks to be way too malty for my tastes.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:Are these micro breweries? I've not tried any of the ones you guys mentioned.

I'm not familiar with the beer Marc mentioned, so I presume its a micro brew. Most of the beers I listed are produced by small breweries with limited distribution. The exceptions to this being Sierra Nevada (they're located out of Chico, CA at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains, however their Pale Ale is very widely distributed and they are currently building an additional brewing facility somewhere in the SE to service you folks on the other coast) and perhaps Stone Brewing (I remember Marc posting a pic of a Arrogant Bastard bottle a while back, which I presume he picked up in Louisiana not California).

Tapit is from SLO. Their IPA is good, but for a hot day I prefer something a little lighter which is why I love their APA.

I wish I could find Arrogant Bastard back home. I have tried pretty much everything Stone makes and like them all. Ruination is prolly their best.

I wrote down most of the names you gave just in case I can get my hands on some down in the Central Coast. I am like a kid in a candy store at the local liquor store by my appartment in Orcutt. Too many brands to try and too little time. At least the store posts the grades of each beer. I stick to the A's and A pluses and still haven't tried half of them.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:22 am

Anyone eer tried 'Gold-Star' beer from Israel? I only had it once when I was in Haifa, but it was really good. Smile

Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:23 am

Bryant wrote:
I hear Greece is no better for the exact same reason.

Well, Southern Europe does good wines, Northern Europe does good beer, it's a culture/climate thing.

Thats disappointing, the Belgians usually have such a good reputation.

Oh, they do, but everyone is entitled to one mistake.

If you ever go to Brussels, you have to go here: The Delirium Cafe (pointing to their faebook page as the main page is gone).

Is that even possible? I just sent that website to a friend of mine that is obsessed with brewing double-triple IPAs. It seems like one starts approaching a alcohol limit ~14 or so % when using traditional fermentation techniques.

Well, they did it, so it must be possible somehow :-p

I didn't know you where allowed to not drink Guinness in Ireland. I've never actually tried Guinness, it just looks to be way too malty for my tastes.

You don't have to drink Guinness, it's not part of the Citizenship test or anything. You do have to try it at least a few times though. No-one really likes Guinness first time out, it's a bit of an acquired taste (isn't that it's too malty, its a very heavy drink). If you do acquire the taste tho, you're pretty much addicted.

I didn't mind it until the time me and 3 other guys had to drink a half-keg in one night at a St Patricks night party (the keg had to go back empty the next day), which was about 20 pints each. Man, the next day was rough (and the 2 days after that weren't too much better either). After that, I couldn't even smell a pint of Guinness without wanting to barf for over a year.....

Another disadvantage of drinking lots of Guinness is the effects on you the next day (and I don't mean the hangover). As a friend of mine says, "if you know you're going out for a heavy night on the guinness, before you go out you put the toilet roll in the fridge and a seatbelt strap on the toilet".
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:14 am

I liked the malt. But it is heavy (I prefer a lighter beer) and its taste is....I dunno how to describe it. Guess I just like domestic light beer now. Crisp, clear, cold.'
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:31 am

Dennis324 wrote:I liked the malt. But it is heavy (I prefer a lighter beer) and its taste is....I dunno how to describe it. Guess I just like domestic light beer now. Crisp, clear, cold.'

Does anyone see any irony that much of the beer sold in the US that is classified as 'domestic' is actually brewed by a European company? That said, I like domestic beer too, just not half assed lagers or pilsners.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:54 am

Bryant wrote:
Does anyone see any irony that much of the beer sold in the US that is classified as 'domestic' is actually brewed by a European company? That said, I like domestic beer too, just not half assed lagers or pilsners.

Well, it evens out the whole "world series" thing where you pretend that the baseball championship is a global thing whereas you guys are the only ones playing in it :-p
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:39 am

Miles1 wrote:
Bryant wrote:

Well, it evens out the whole "world series" thing where you pretend that the baseball championship is a global thing whereas you guys are the only ones playing in it :-p

Canada takes part in it.....of course it's Canada and they suck at just about everything so I guess your point still stands.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:I liked the malt. But it is heavy (I prefer a lighter beer) and its taste is....I dunno how to describe it. Guess I just like domestic light beer now. Crisp, clear, cold.'

Yeah, the Belgians own Budweiser now! Lol! Actually I stopped drinking anheiser-bush products when they sold out to the belgians.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Mon May 21, 2012 8:00 am

Dennis324 wrote:Yeah, the Belgians own Budweiser now! Lol! Actually I stopped drinking anheiser-bush products when they sold out to the belgians.

So is that a patriotic thing or a taste thing? Am assuming patriotic 'cos belgium does some of the best beers in the world - and it's dirt cheap over there. I spent many a happy night in bars in belgium working my way down though the menu....
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri May 25, 2012 7:45 pm

Miles1 wrote:I spent many a happy night in bars in belgium working my way down though the menu....

The guys that worked in my shop on base had a tradition. Every time a new guy would arrive, we would go take the tour of the Heineken Brewery in Amsterdam. After the tour, every one is served a sample. From there we would head back towards the train station (12 clicks I guess) and stop at every pub with a Heineken sign and drink one round, leave and continue on. This would take all day and by the time we reached the train station, we were hammered.

Of course, Holland really doesn't have as good of brew as other European countries. Their beer is very similar to tUSA's mass produced stuff. I do really like the Dutch Heineken though. Much better than the version sold here.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun May 27, 2012 8:51 am

Miles1 wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:Yeah, the Belgians own Budweiser now! Lol! Actually I stopped drinking anheiser-bush products when they sold out to the belgians.

So is that a patriotic thing or a taste thing? Am assuming patriotic 'cos belgium does some of the best beers in the world - and it's dirt cheap over there. I spent many a happy night in bars in belgium working my way down though the menu....
Patriotic. I always try to buy American first if I can. But the Belgians wont change the formula for Bud. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Have any of you guys tried Yuengling beer? I have and its really good. Also its America's oldest brewery and is still American owned and puts Americans to work. Smile There are several different varieties including a dark malt Guinness-like beer. I've only tried the original though I'd like to try thier light lager.

Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Dennis324 wrote: But the Belgians wont change the formula for Bud. Smile

Why would they, they have so much better stuff themselves... :-P
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Yeah, I've heard they have good beer. Smile But you know...I dont think I've ever tried any to be honest. What brands could you recommend that I can buy here in the States? Is Blue Moon good?

Also havbe any of you guys tried any MEad'? I've always wanted to try some but cant find it.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Dennis324 wrote:Yeah, I've heard they have good beer. Smile But you know...I dont think I've ever tried any to be honest. What brands could you recommend that I can buy here in the States? Is Blue Moon good?

Also havbe any of you guys tried any MEad'? I've always wanted to try some but cant find it.

Never had mead, but I have had some good Belgians. Gulden Draak is good, and I have a fondness for a good, sour lambic (especially Gueuze 1882).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Dennis324 wrote:Yeah, I've heard they have good beer. Smile But you know...I dont think I've ever tried any to be honest. What brands could you recommend that I can buy here in the States? Is Blue Moon good?

Hmm, where to start... Not sure what you can get in the states, the most common ones I've seen outside of Belgium would be Hoegaarden, Duvel, Chimay or Westmalle. Depends really on what kind of beer floats your boat, they have so many types....

As for mead, is dangerous stuff. Doesn't really taste like alcohol, but will blow your head off if you have too much of it.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:22 pm

I heard mead was sweet and made from honey.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm currently drinking 395 IPA by Mammoth Brewing Company. The beer is named after US highway 395 that runs from Mexico to Canada along the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada and the Cascades and features a large swath of the pacific south west desert. The beer is brewed in Mammoth Lakes, CA in the highest elevation brewery in the United States (8000 ft) and features juniper and sage in the list of ingredients (local ingredients that are not something I've seen in an IPA before). So far, its a great beer. I'll report back ofter I kill the bottle.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:09 am

Dude, it seems that this is our favorite thread.

What does that say about us???

Anyway, I'm still high on Tapit (which is from SLO BTW), but have found another good Cali brew. This time it is from San Diego. The brewery is Ballast Point. The beer is Amber Ale. Awesome!!! Seeing as to how I seem to have an affinity with the water, this brewery kinda fits.

http://www.ballastpoint.com/beers-of-ballast-point-amber-ale-calico/

Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next