Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robert Bales gets life without parole

4 posters

Go down

Robert Bales gets life without parole Empty Robert Bales gets life without parole

Post by Dennis324 Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:04 am

With all of the discussions taking place around the web concerning Nidal Hasan and Bradley Manning, (sorry… still not calling you Chelsea) it was easy to overlook yet another military trial which came to a close this week. Robert Bales reached the end of the sentencing phase in his trial, held at an Army base in Washington state. As you will recall, Bales is the US soldier who admitted to leaving his post in Panjwai, Kandahar, going into two neighboring villages and shooting a large number of Afghan locals, including nine children and four women. Having already plead guilty to avoid the possibility of the death penalty, the jury decided Bales would be spending the rest of his life in prison.
Link
This is an embarrassing and sad chapter of the war in Afghanistan.  It reminds me of the tragedy in Vietnam where Lt Wm Calley ordered his men to massacre an entire village of civilians.  One would hope no soldier would ever think of doing such a thing.  But unfortunately this happens in war.  Probably has happened in every war and just doesn't get reported as often.

Thankfully this isn't the way most US soldiers act and certainly isn't what we as Americans want to happen.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Robert Bales gets life without parole Empty Re: Robert Bales gets life without parole

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:10 am

Sounds like he just flipped. Feel bad for the victims as well as his family. Had a wife and i think kids.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Robert Bales gets life without parole Empty Re: Robert Bales gets life without parole

Post by Marconius Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:47 am

As with all mass shooters, there were overt signs of his decline. As with all mass shooters, nothing was done about it.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Sir Pun wrote:Sounds like he just flipped. Feel bad for the victims as well as his family. Had a wife and i think kids.
I heard that one of the witnesses they flew in was an Afghan man who lost his wife and six children. He was away at the time of the attack and came home to find his family had been wiped out. I feel sorry for this man.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Dont get all huffy with me, mr! I said the victims, AS WELL AS, his family. Why shouldnt i? And marc, this is true, but you add the wartime environment to it, and idk, ive never been in combat, nor can i get in the heads of these mass killers or the elation they get out of it, so...

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down