Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Use Birth Control? You're Fired! AZ is at it again!

4 posters

Go down

Use Birth Control? You're Fired! AZ is at it again! Empty Use Birth Control? You're Fired! AZ is at it again!

Post by Bryant Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:15 am

Use Birth Control? You're Fired!
By Jennifer Dalven
ACLU 'Blog of Rights'

First, a bill that gives immunity to doctors who lie to couples about the results of their prenatal tests in order to prevent them from getting an abortion. Now, a bill that would give your boss the green light to fire you for using birth control. You think I am kidding? I wish. For a decade now, Arizona insurance companies have been required to provide coverage for contraception just like other prescriptions. But, because they saw an opening to score some political points, some politicians there are suddenly moving to take that coverage away from women and their families.

And we aren’t talking here just about exemptions for religiously affiliated employers like Catholic hospitals and universities. We are talking about authorizing secular, for-profit employers to deny a woman coverage for birth control if the employer doesn’t believe that she and her partner should be allowed to have sex without getting pregnant. Yup, that’s right. If the owner of the Taco Bell where you work opposes birth control, Arizona legislators want to give him a legal right to deny you insurance coverage for your pills.

Sadly, that isn’t even the half of it. You may want to sit down for this one. Arizona legislators know that whether or not her insurance covers it, a woman may get the prescription she needs to prevent an unintended pregnancy. They want to give her boss the right to control that too. The bill they are pushing would not only allow employers to take the insurance coverage away, but it would also make it easier for an employer who finds out that his employee uses birth control to fire her. You heard me right . . . to fire her. And I thought Rush Limbaugh’s comments were as low as you could go on this one.

The Arizona bill has, incredibly, already passed one house, but we can still stop it. We’ve seen what can happen if we make our voices heard. So, if you’ve had enough; if you think the decision about whether to have a child is one for you and your partner, not your boss and your senator, I urge you to speak up now. Tell the legislators in Arizona to stop playing politics with women’s health and put personal and private decisions back in the hands of a woman and her family.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Use Birth Control? You're Fired! AZ is at it again! Empty Re: Use Birth Control? You're Fired! AZ is at it again!

Post by Dennis324 Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:20 am

Wow. I cant imagine such a bill passing. And even if it did, I would think the courts would strike it down. They SHOULD strike it down anyway. Doesnt this seem unconstitutional to you? I mean, if gay sex is allowed, then why not birth control?

Furthermore, can you imagine what the birth control companies would do if this happened? IT would kill sales.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Use Birth Control? You're Fired! AZ is at it again! Empty Re: Use Birth Control? You're Fired! AZ is at it again!

Post by Bryant Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:55 am

Dennis324 wrote:Wow. I cant imagine such a bill passing. And even if it did, I would think the courts would strike it down. They SHOULD strike it down anyway. Doesnt this seem unconstitutional to you? I mean, if gay sex is allowed, then why not birth control?

Furthermore, can you imagine what the birth control companies would do if this happened? IT would kill sales.

Now this bill just has to pass their senate to become law. As for the US Constitution, remember that last year AZ passed a law 'allowing' their state to nullify federal laws that it didn't like (never mind the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution). For being dominated by a political party that keeps crying about wasteful government spending, they sure do seem to like wasting both state and federal money on court cases to overturn these blatantly unconstitutional laws. While California has its issues (to put it lightly), at least our government isn't half the joke that Arizona's is.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:49 am

Speaking of the Supremacy clause, I was just wondering about the following issues.

Gay Marriage
Sanctuary cities
Pot legalization
and now contraception.

Who has authority on these issues? State of Feds? And oif the Feds really have the authority on say...immigration concerns, whjy are states and cities allowed to defy Federal law with the concept of sanctuary cities? OR if pot is illegal in our federal govt, why can some places get away with selling medical marijuana?
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:48 am

Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Fing stupid.

No! People, be it the government, business or a singular individual, do not have the right to a paid service or product. No, they do not have the right to dictate what a business may or may not provide in its services. They do however have the right to shop around to find a business that will supply the services that they want or need and government, business, or a private citizens cannot intrude upon that right.

Summery:
If it a service or product provided, it cannot be a right.
A business has the right to offer whatever products and services they deem fit.
We do have the right to shop around.
Nobody can stop us from purchasing what we want with the money we earn.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Actually I shouldn't have a problem with this. The Federal government already does the same thing and the info can be viewed on the CDC's website.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:51 am

People forget about the Constitution's clause..."promote the general welfare'.

The feds have the duty (not right) to protect the people. So the supremacy clause does have its merit.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:50 am

And back to the abortion thing, how about this one....

"[I]f you’re not fully convinced yet that Alaska is the next front in the GOP’s war on women, you just have to listen to State Rep. Alan Dick. He said that he doesn’t believe that when a woman is pregnant, it’s really “her pregnancy.” As a matter of fact, he would advocate for criminalizing women who have an abortion without the permission via written signature from the man who impregnated her. He stated, “If I thought that the man’s signature was required… required, in order for a woman to have an abortion, I’d have a little more peace about it…” He didn’t say whether a rapist would be able to send his signature by fax from prison, or not. But he’ll have “peace” and women will require a permission slip for their own bodies."

source

So, have the Republicans decided that they don't need the female vote at all in November? Various GOP politicians seem to be going out of their way in the last few weeks to piss off as many women as they can - next thing I'm expecting is someone will come out and argue for repealing the 19th amendment....
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:53 pm

The Obama administration is desperately trying to portray Republicans as making war on women. This is the most ludicrous idea I've heard in decades. I thought the idea went out in the 70s. This isnt George C Wallace standing in the schoolhouse door.

The news media (whom we already know is in the tank for Obama) is fuelng this thing, asking Santorum at each and every turn about his views on contraception, ignoring the real issues our country is faced with. Let me fill yall in on something. The average working stiff is concerned mostly about paying the bills and finding a job and high prices of everything here. NOT what Santorum's Catholic views on contraception is.

There is 1 and only 1 reason the Obama administration is faning the flames here. They simply cannot run on Obama's record. He knows he cannot get reelected on his record of unemployment, his energy plan, his tax plan, or his healthcare plan. No one likes those things. Even Dems have at times criticized it.

He cant win if he runs on his record. His 1 and only chance is to demonize the GOP
and try to fabricate this idea that republicans hate women. And the mainstream media is complicit in this ruse.

Dont buy into the myth that the GOP doesnt want the female vote or that they are trying to oppress them. It isnt true. I suggest everyone do some real objective diging to find out the truth of the matter.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Dennis324 wrote:The Obama administration is desperately trying to portray Republicans as making war on women. This is the most ludicrous idea I've heard in decades. I thought the idea went out in the 70s. This isnt George C Wallace standing in the schoolhouse door.

The news media (whom we already know is in the tank for Obama) is fuelng this thing, asking Santorum at each and every turn about his views on contraception, ignoring the real issues our country is faced with. Let me fill yall in on something. The average working stiff is concerned mostly about paying the bills and finding a job and high prices of everything here. NOT what Santorum's Catholic views on contraception is.

There is 1 and only 1 reason the Obama administration is faning the flames here. They simply cannot run on Obama's record. He knows he cannot get reelected on his record of unemployment, his energy plan, his tax plan, or his healthcare plan. No one likes those things. Even Dems have at times criticized it.

He cant win if he runs on his record. His 1 and only chance is to demonize the GOP
and try to fabricate this idea that republicans hate women. And the mainstream media is complicit in this ruse.

Dont buy into the myth that the GOP doesnt want the female vote or that they are trying to oppress them. It isnt true. I suggest everyone do some real objective diging to find out the truth of the matter.

Hate to burst your bubble, but look at the legislation the GOP has been pushing across the nation (of which the above AZ law if probably the worst). You can't blame the media for covering what the GOP is actually doing.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Miles1 wrote:And back to the abortion thing, how about this one....

"[I]f you’re not fully convinced yet that Alaska is the next front in the GOP’s war on women, you just have to listen to State Rep. Alan Dick. He said that he doesn’t believe that when a woman is pregnant, it’s really “her pregnancy.” As a matter of fact, he would advocate for criminalizing women who have an abortion without the permission via written signature from the man who impregnated her. He stated, “If I thought that the man’s signature was required… required, in order for a woman to have an abortion, I’d have a little more peace about it…” He didn’t say whether a rapist would be able to send his signature by fax from prison, or not. But he’ll have “peace” and women will require a permission slip for their own bodies."

source

So, have the Republicans decided that they don't need the female vote at all in November? Various GOP politicians seem to be going out of their way in the last few weeks to piss off as many women as they can - next thing I'm expecting is someone will come out and argue for repealing the 19th amendment....

So do the fathers of the children have no rights at all???

Does the child have no rights at all???

Why do women think that everyone is always out to get them???

Starting to sound similar to another card that has always been played.....damn I can't remember that card all of a sudden with all the feminine hysteria around me.

How about we call it what it really is.....it ain't a war on women......it is an ongoing war on children and responsibility. Of course the loudest voices always are on the extreme ends of the spectrum and any arguement is always viewed as "the end of everything as we know it" by anyone who has a stake in whatever it is.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:51 am

Bryant wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but look at the legislation the GOP has been pushing across the nation (of which the above AZ law if probably the worst). You can't blame the media for covering what the GOP is actually doing.
What legislation / bill are you talking about? There is no way any one on either side is going to pass a law outlawing birth control.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down