Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buy American, except in Texas......

4 posters

Go down

Buy American, except in Texas...... Empty Buy American, except in Texas......

Post by Miles1 Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 am

May 25, 2013

News Release

Contacts: Becky Moeller
Or Ed Sills, (512)477-6195

Veto of ‘Buy American’ Bill Salutes Race to the Bottom

Moeller: Perry ‘Won’t Stand Up for American Jobs’

Texas AFL-CIO President Becky Moeller blasted Gov. Rick Perry’s veto of HB 535, a “Buy Texan, Buy American” bill, questioning why the Governor would place the interests of foreign companies over the interest of Texas and American workers.

HB 535 by Rep. Yvonne Davis, D-Dallas, and Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo, would have established a preference for state purchase of Texas and American manufactured goods when they are of equal cost and quality to foreign-produced products. The Senate voted for the measure 23-7 and the House, 145-0.

“Gov. Perry by his veto has undercut the creation and preservation of manufacturing jobs in Texas and the U.S.” Moeller said. “These jobs are critical to our economic success. Despite the governor’s grandstanding in California and Illinois and his rhetoric about jobs, the veto of HB 535 reveals a painful truth: this Governor won’t stand up for American jobs or Texas workers.”

“We again thank the Legislature for its hard work and the outstanding advances on ‘Buy America’ issues in this session.”

“We call on lawmakers to consider using their override power to repeat the patriotic support for home-grown jobs embodied in HB 535. An override would tell the working families of Texas that their interests are more important than those of multi-national corporations that profit from outsourcing, off-shoring and elimination of Texas and American jobs.”

The Texas AFL-CIO is a state labor federation representing 235,000 affiliated union members who advocate for working families in Texas.

A good example of where bipartisanship gets you these days - money talks and bullshit walks (or vetoes)....
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Buy American, except in Texas...... Empty Re: Buy American, except in Texas......

Post by Bryant Thu May 30, 2013 11:18 am

Considering it passed nearly unanimously, overriding the veto shouldn't be a challenge.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Buy American, except in Texas...... Empty Re: Buy American, except in Texas......

Post by Marconius Thu May 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Shouldn't really need a law for that though.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Thu May 30, 2013 3:35 pm

Well politicians have to pass new laws or they feel like they arent doing their jobs.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Thu May 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Marconius wrote:Shouldn't really need a law for that though.

I'm not sure how things are currently structures in Texas, however many government agencies have very strict lowest-dollar procurement guidelines.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu May 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Bryant wrote:

I'm not sure how things are currently structures in Texas, however many government agencies have very strict lowest-dollar procurement guidelines.

That should be a given. We shouldn't need to waste time passing laws to govern common sense.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Thu May 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:

That should be a given. We shouldn't need to waste time passing laws to govern common sense.

My point being, government procurement is usually a very highly regulated process with each detail being carefully set out in regulation. There is often minimal room for local decision making or judgement calls. If one wants to put a weight in the system favoring domestic products (which I agree should be the standard MO), such a weight would have to be defined by law.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Fri May 31, 2013 2:18 am

Pun wrote:Well politicians have to pass new laws or they feel like they arent doing their jobs.

So by that definition congress hasn't been doing its job in how long?
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri May 31, 2013 5:51 pm

Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:

My point being, government procurement is usually a very highly regulated process with each detail being carefully set out in regulation. There is often minimal room for local decision making or judgement calls. If one wants to put a weight in the system favoring domestic products (which I agree should be the standard MO), such a weight would have to be defined by law.

My point is that time was spent thinking about these regulations and time was spent writing these regulations. That equals man power and money.

Fact is, private companies would never devote man power or funds to this. Getting the best price is simple common sense.

Now, if you want to stipulate that US products must be used if they are of equal cost......my attitude changes slightly.....but not much. In private business, buying American equals less down time due to location of goods and the decreased shipping time. So.In effect that is common sense as well.

There is no need to make laws defining common sense practices. That in and of itself shows how government has uncommon sense in abundance.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 am

Marconius wrote:
There is no need to make laws defining common sense practices. That in and of itself shows how government has uncommon sense in abundance.

Buy American, except in Texas...... Common-sense-superpower
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down