Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bachmann Won’t Seek Re-election Next Year

4 posters

Go down

Bachmann Won’t Seek Re-election Next Year Empty Bachmann Won’t Seek Re-election Next Year

Post by Bryant Wed May 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Bachmann Won’t Seek Re-election Next Year
By GERRY MULLANY
The New York Times

Representative Michele Bachmann, the Minnesota Republican who made an ill-fated run for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012, announced Wednesday that she would not seek a fifth term in Congress next year.

She made the announcement just six months after being re-elected in what was her most challenging Congressional campaign since she was first elected to the House in 2006. Her announcement also comes as her former presidential campaign faces inquiries into its fund-raising activities.

“I have decided next year I will not seek a fifth Congressional term,” she said in a video on her campaign Web site. “This decision was not impacted in any way by the recent inquiries into the activities of my former presidential campaign or my former presidential staff,” she added.

Mrs. Bachmann is known for her strong anti-abortion stance and adherence to Tea Party values but her presidential campaign was marked by frequent stumbles and her candidacy failed to catch fire in a crowded field of candidates that included Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, Gov. Rick Perry of Texas and Herman Cain, who all eventually lost to Mitt Romney.

In her congressional race last year, Mrs. Bachmann won re-election by just 4,200 votes out of 356,000 votes cast, beating the hotelier Jim Graves, who was greatly outspent. Mr. Graves recently announced that he would seek the seat again.

“My decision was not in any way influenced by any concerns about my being re-elected to Congress,” she said. “If I ran I would again defeat the individual who I defeated last year.”

Her announcement comes as the Office of Congressional Ethics looks into claims by Ms. Bachmann’s former campaign aides that she may have improperly used money raised by one of her House-affiliated political action committees to help her presidential bid in the run-up to the Iowa presidential caucuses in January 2012. She came in sixth in that race, even though she campaigned heavily in the state. The defeat led her to pull out of the race the next day.

While her presidential bid initially excited Tea Party supporters, Mrs. Bachmann would later find herself upstaged by conservative opponents like Mr. Cain and Mr. Santorum, and she was prone to misstatements, including saying the vaccine against the human papillomavirus was linked to “mental retardation.”

But her campaign was not without impact. Her victory in the Ames, Iowa, straw poll in the summer of 2011 forced Tim Pawlenty, the former Republican governor of Minnesota, to drop out of the contest early, after he did poorly in his neighboring state.

In her video announcement, Mrs. Bachmann did not rule out returning to politics in the future.

“There is no future option or opportunity, be it directly in the political area or otherwise, that I won’t be giving serious consideration if it can help save and protect our great nation for future generations,” she said.

She also said she expected “the mainstream liberal media to put a detrimental spin” on her decision not to seek re-election, calling its attention to her political fortunes “a true compliment of my public service effectiveness.”

Ms. Bachmann had been a largely obscure member of Congress from Minnesota before the emergence of the Tea Party in 2010. She seized on the movement to brand herself a national voice of conservatives and become the leader of the “Tea Party Caucus” in the House.

In January of 2011, Ms. Bachmann delivered her own, unofficial “Tea Party” response to President Obama’s State of the Union address. She mocked the president’s fiscal policies and urged a repeal of the president’s health care plan known as Obamacare. But the brief, televised response prompted comedy sketches because of its low production values and because Ms. Bachmann appeared to be looking off to the side throughout her remarks.

Michael D. Shear contributed reporting.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bachmann Won’t Seek Re-election Next Year Empty Re: Bachmann Won’t Seek Re-election Next Year

Post by Dennis324 Fri May 31, 2013 8:32 am

This is too bad. Bachman was a good egg. It was unfortunate how things happened during her run for the POTUS. I felt like during the GOP debates, no one would give her the time of day.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Bachmann Won’t Seek Re-election Next Year Empty Re: Bachmann Won’t Seek Re-election Next Year

Post by Bryant Fri May 31, 2013 5:57 pm

Dennis324 wrote:This is too bad. Bachman was a good egg. It was unfortunate how things happened during her run for the POTUS. I felt like during the GOP debates, no one would give her the time of day.

You do realize that she is under investigation for money laundering (allegations that initiated with her former staff) by the FBI and is also under investigation by the Republican controlled House Ethics Committee, right? There is nothing good about this woman.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri May 31, 2013 6:02 pm

Bryant wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:This is too bad. Bachman was a good egg. It was unfortunate how things happened during her run for the POTUS. I felt like during the GOP debates, no one would give her the time of day.

You do realize that she is under investigation for money laundering (allegations that initiated with her former staff) by the FBI and is also under investigation by the Republican controlled House Ethics Committee, right? There is nothing good about this woman.

What!?!?!?

Nothing good you say!?!?!?

You seen those DSL's!?!?!?
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:31 am

Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:

What!?!?!?

Other than internet, what is a DSL?
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:45 am

Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:

What!?!?!?

Other than internet, what is a DSL?

*sigh*
Younguns, I swear.
D***
Suckin
Lips
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:50 am

Marconius wrote:
*sigh*
Younguns, I swear.
D***
Suckin
Lips

Bachmann Won’t Seek Re-election Next Year Michele_Bachmann_Iowa_Corn-dog
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:57 am

*sigh* I thought we were better than this. No

Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 am

Dennis324 wrote:*sigh* I thought we were better than this. No

Hey, I wasn't the one that brought up the DSLs..... :-P
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Miles1 wrote:

Thinking we are better..........that frame of mind has started lots of crap in the past.

Some need to chill and appreciate attempts to keep it light.

This is not a response to Miles, but since it is a response to Dennis, he already feels that he is so much better than me, that he no longer has to acknowledge my existence. WWJD???
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Miles1 wrote:

I know. I saw who you quoted and what he said. Its become pretty much par for the course. Not surprised in the least. Rolling Eyes
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down