Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The planet is getting greener

3 posters

Go down

The planet is getting greener Empty The planet is getting greener

Post by Marconius Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:13 pm

Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

The planet is getting greener Empty Re: The planet is getting greener

Post by Sir Pun Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:42 pm

lalala right wing echo chamber!!!!

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Not really right wing......Libertarian.

It sums up what I have been saying all along about global warming being a good thing.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Marconius wrote:Not really right wing......Libertarian.

It sums up what I have been saying all along about global warming being a good thing.

His views are short sighted. While it is true that the planet is greening (I was surprised by that, but the literature does support him), he fails to appreciate what continued change could result in. For this, one needs to look no further than the droughts that have plagued the mid-west and south-eastern United States, whats beginning to happen in California, or what has happened in Australia.

If this topic interests you, I recommend this paper, published in the peer reviewed journal Geophysical Research Letters (produced by the American Geophysical Union, one of the largest geological/geophysical professional organizations on the planet).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:50 pm

As the temp changes, there will be changes in landscape. Of that no sane person would argue, but do we really need a peer reviewed article to tell us what the fossil record already does???

As a rule, whenever the planet has been warmer, life has been more abundant and more varied.

I'll read the paper anyway. I know I will learn something.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Marconius wrote:As the temp changes, there will be changes in landscape. Of that no sane person would argue, but do we really need a peer reviewed article to tell us what the fossil record already does???

As a rule, whenever the planet has been warmer, life has been more abundant and more varied.

It seemed a decent paper, although I have to admit I only read the abstract, intro, discussion, and summary. I don't know enough about climate modeling and that type of remote sensing to be interested in the methodology.

Warmer does not necessarily mean more life. The fossil record also shows mass extinctions due to extreme warming (Permian-Triassic and Triassic-Jurassic extinctions as examples).
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:04 am

Wow, that paper was about as dry as the stuff I write. Good stuff though.

What it leaves out is man made cause and effect in relation to the greening in North America. The vid touches on it.

We no longer use trees as fuel on a large scale basis.

Pulp and paper own large swaths of land and must replace on a 2:1 ratio..

We have had a zero tolerance policy towards wildfires.

Government owns large swaths of land and denies development.

That helps explain N. America, but my ignorance on other countries doesn't allow for speculation in those areas.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 am

Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:As the temp changes, there will be changes in landscape. Of that no sane person would argue, but do we really need a peer reviewed article to tell us what the fossil record already does???

It seemed a decent paper, although I have to admit I only read the abstract, intro, discussion, and summary. I don't know enough about climate modeling and that type of remote sensing to be interested in the methodology.

Warmer does not necessarily mean more life. The fossil record also shows mass extinctions due to extreme warming (Permian-Triassic and Triassic-Jurassic extinctions as examples).

But weren't those caused by a much more extreme high than what is being predicted??? I would quickly agree with the ill effects of extreme temps either way.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:08 am

Marconius wrote:Wow, that paper was about as dry as the stuff I write. Good stuff though.

What it leaves out is man made cause and effect in relation to the greening in North America. The vid touches on it.

We no longer use trees as fuel on a large scale basis.

Pulp and paper own large swaths of land and must replace on a 2:1 ratio..

We have had a zero tolerance policy towards wildfires.

Government owns large swaths of land and denies development.

That helps explain N. America, but my ignorance on other countries doesn't allow for speculation in those areas.

That is what I hate about most scientific studies. They tend to focus on the negative effects of humans and not the positive.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down