Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brassless ammunition

2 posters

Go down

Brassless ammunition Empty Brassless ammunition

Post by Sir Pun Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:10 pm

So i think more and more militaries of the future will turn to a brassless ammo sytem, not to be confused with caseless ammo. Basically theyre using shotgun technology, and pushing the charge as well as the bullet into a plastic casing just like a shotgun slug would be. This generally results in the rounds being shorter and fatter, with magazines more similar looking to .45acp, yet much much lighter meaning troops can carry much more of them.

Brassless ammunition Lsat_3

This is a technology demonstrator lmg called the LSAT based around the the system.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Brassless ammunition Empty Re: Brassless ammunition

Post by Marconius Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:53 pm

My concern would be durability in the field. Military tech also overflows into the civilian world. The most popular calibers in the civi world are always the ones the military uses (with the exception being the old 30/30). Look at the .45 colt, 45/70, 30-06, .308 and now the .556. It would take a drastic change in mindset for this to really take off. It would kill the reloading market, or at least hurt it greatly.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:10 am

Yeah but its still a round that has to be loaded into the plasic case. And im sure prior to the m16 not too many conventional military planners foresaw the adoption of the 5.56 either. If it implemented, it would obviouslybe phased in over a period of time and has alrdy been undergoing tests since 07. And not too many people own lmgs anyway. Probably go into use with the spec ops guys for evaluation, but the troops who have used it prefer it pver their old guns. Thatll tell u something there

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 am

Think it weighs like 8-9 lbs fully loaded.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Weight reduction is a benefit that can't be over looked. Even today, weight of weapon is a major concern of mine. It even takes precedence over power of caliber.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:52 pm

But also with a lighter weight thpically comes more recoil. With todays firearms tech, its all about tradeoffs. Longer barrel, more velocity, but actually less accurate due to barrel flex

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Modern powders, like the blends coming outta Hornady really offset the need for longer barrels. The whole point most miss about modern battle rounds is that they aren't high power. Therefore recoil shouldn't be that much of an issue. My wife is a small lady and she handles the recoil from a Mini30 and those are light weapons.

I guess you are beginning to sell me on this, or maybe as i think about i am selling myself.....dunno. Still wanna see what the issues with durability are though.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Nine pounds for a squad auto weapon is something I wouldn't mind carrying in the field. That's about half of what a SAW weighs today.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Youre right, not powerful, just high velocity. Plus plastic cartridges wouldnt glint as much when being ejected. Could probably all be produced in some kind of drab color.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Think with the streamlining and weight reduction of modern designs that most riflemen of the future will probably carry something a little more like an lmg than an AR.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum