Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

America unearthed

4 posters

Go down

America unearthed Empty America unearthed

Post by Sir Pun Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Is a good, yet sometimes cheesily presented, show you should check out if you have any on demand programming. Its on h2 (history channel 2) and i think is abt 3-4 years old. It mainly delves into all these artifacts that suggest pre columbian colonization of the new world by various (mostly eastern [from the americas] ) peoples.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

America unearthed Empty Re: America unearthed

Post by Miles1 Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:04 am

Pun wrote: Its on h2 (history channel 2) and i think is abt 3-4 years old.

3-4 years old? That explains why it's still about history then, as opposed to "Ice Road Swamp People" or something like that...
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:24 am

Probably.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:08 pm

I've been watching this show too and it is pretty interesting. But I am beginning to think the host (Scott Wolter) is determined to prove that the Knights Templar hid the Holy Grail here on the American continent.

He comes up with these 'stones' that were supposedly carved by the Irish, or the Templars or the Vikings that are found in New Mexico or somewere in Minnesota. And his method of determining their authenticity is to look at them all by himself with a little iphone ap on his phone.

I mean ...c'mon. At least take the stones to some 'real' scientists to look at the patina in the runes or whatever. i remember one recent episode where Wolter decided a man-made cave or cavern was evidence of some ancient civilization here...and he wasnt even allowed to inspect it himself! He had to rely on camera images taken by a local hunter that he sent to take measurements and photos.

I watch the show. Some of the things he brings up are interesting and fun to look up and research. But I dunno...his scientific methods seem about as accurate as Ghost Hunters. I think he must think we're a bunch of rubes...

And he may be right.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Dennis324 wrote:
i remember one recent episode where Wolter decided a man-made cave or cavern was evidence of some ancient civilization here...and he wasnt even allowed to inspect it himself!

Sorry, but I had to post this one as a reply:

America unearthed 9148130

:p
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:26 am

Heah Dennis you can tell that he seems to be a true believer in most of these various theories, however there is good evidence that the americas were discovered many times before columbus, not even counting the vikings which we know were here.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm still watching the show. Smile I'm gonna give him every chance. And yeah, I think probably the Vikings were here prior to Columbus. Dunno about the Templars tho.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 pm

I dunno abt them either, but there are tales of the welsh, irish, chinese, polynesians, etc. really, we tend to think of it as being basically one generic ethnicity in the americas until columbus came along, but i think the americas had been rediscovered many times, which explains a lot of the genetic mysteries surrounding certain native populations

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:24 am

Pun wrote:I dunno abt them either, but there are tales of the welsh, irish, chinese, polynesians, etc. really, we tend to think of it as being basically one generic ethnicity in the americas until columbus came along, but i think the americas had been rediscovered many times, which explains a lot of the genetic mysteries surrounding certain native populations

The Welsh were a pathetic civilization unable to expand beyond a very constrained geographic reach.

The Chinese, for all their historic might, usually did dismally on the open sea (see invasion of Japan). At their maritime best, the Chinese hardly made it to Africa following the coast. I have a hard time imagining them making it to the Americas. Besides, the Chinese had a great tradition of writing everything down, and then having subsequent generations write about the initial text (ie Sun Wu's Art of War, followed by dozens of latter treatises on the reading of the Art of War). Had the Chinese set out on a mission to explore this area, it would have been documented.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:45 am

Assuming they ever made it back

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 pm

America unearthed 1272107070
Bryant wrote:The Welsh were a pathetic civilization unable to expand beyond a very constrained geographic reach.

I really do think the Vikings may have made it to North America however. Their seagoing might is well documented. I dont know if they made it to Minnesota, thought there are rivers and great akes that could have made that possible. Probably confined to upper Canadian regions on the east coast.

A lot of people talk about the Kensington stone as proof of vikings in America, but I think its bunk. The runes on that stone are said to be mixed languages and dialects... a mixture of Medieval and modern Scandanavian. And the Heavener Runestone runes in Oklahoma are thought to be mostly a mix of late 19th and 20th century by modern runoligists and Scandinavian Scientists.

What do Am. Indian legends have to say about the vikings? America unearthed 1682934726
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Well we know they made it to "north america," the only question is if they ventured as far south as the usa.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down