Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Evangelical Christianity and Jesus Christ

5 posters

Go down

American Evangelical Christianity and Jesus Christ Empty American Evangelical Christianity and Jesus Christ

Post by Bryant Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 pm

I generally dislike Bill Maher, but I think he makes a keen, if not shrouded in DBery, point.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

American Evangelical Christianity and Jesus Christ Empty Re: American Evangelical Christianity and Jesus Christ

Post by Miles1 Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:06 am

American Evangelical Christianity and Jesus Christ Did-i-fucking-stutter

We don't have a lot of evangelicals around here (thank god) so I can't speak about them from personal experience, but generally if you're defining your religion more by what you're against than what you're for, then you're doing it wrong.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

American Evangelical Christianity and Jesus Christ Empty Re: American Evangelical Christianity and Jesus Christ

Post by Sir Pun Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:46 am

I thought "evangelical" generally applied to american protestant faiths

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:48 am

And is the point that christians should like everything and everyone and just go with the flow on everything?

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:02 am

I dont even bother to watch Maher anymore and wont waste my time on him now.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Miles1 wrote: American Evangelical Christianity and Jesus Christ Did-i-fucking-stutter

We don't have a lot of evangelicals around here (thank god) so I can't speak about them from personal experience, but generally if you're defining your religion more by what you're against than what you're for, then you're doing it wrong.

While I agree with what you said, the pic you posted basically says "If you are a Christian, you should just STFU and eat all the shit we give you." Yeah, even though I ain't even a Christian, that pic is not correct.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Jesus certainly wasnt a social push over was he? He didnt go into the temple and be like oh its cool moneys changing hands in the house of god, peace out homies.

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Pun wrote:I thought "evangelical" generally applied to american protestant faiths

No, we have a few evangelicals over here as well, they're just not very common.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:55 pm

I just have a hard time understanding how to clearly define evangelicals, because arent all christians supposed to evangelize and spread the word of the lord?

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Pun wrote:I just have a hard time understanding how to clearly define evangelicals, because arent all christians supposed to evangelize and spread the word of the lord?

Yeah, well all christians are supposed to keep holy the sabbath day, not eat meat on a friday, go to mass every weekend, not use birth control..... Are a lot of things christians are supposed to do that they don't.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:56 pm

*Chuckle* Well, thats the Catholic view. Smile

Protestants dont hold to all those sacriments. We adhere to Gen 9:3 where God said He has given us all food to eat on earth including meat and we no of no biblical restriction saying to skip meat on Friday. That being said, I hasten to add that the Catholic view is fine as far as I am concerned, that I believe they are Christian and fine people. Furthermore, skipping a day of eating meat is good for us and I have done so often. :flower:

Dont feel bad Pun coz it can be confusing.

Generally we observe the Lord's Supper (Communion), and Baptists are big on dunking as a public profession of faith. But MOST of us understand there are many ways to practice Christianity. Imo. the Catholic traditions are fine though.

Evangelicals demphasize ritual and emphasize piety. Thats pretty much how most protestant groups feel. And lots of groups like my own (Southern Baptist) and including some Catholic Charismatics fall under the umbrella heading 'evangelical'.

The non-Protestant should understand, however, that theres a difference between Baptists, for example...and Southern Baptists. A difference between Presbyterian USA and the Presbyterian Church of America. (PCA). Christian groups are divided up into sets and subsets and we dont have 1 single governing body which prescribes what we are gonna do. We dont have a Pope. All our churches are autonymous.

But I'm getting off track. Here's pretty much the nuts and bolts of the Evangelical movement as I know it:

Evangelicals hold the view that the modernist and liberal parties in the Protestant churches had surrendered their heritage as evangelicals by accommodating the views and values of "the world". But they also they criticize fundamentalists for their separatism and their rejection of the social gospel as it had been developed by Protestant activists of the previous century. .

There are different branches of evangelicals, but (basically) they are conservative both Spiritually and politically.

Politically most belong to the Christian Right.
Most are against Abortion in pretty much all cases.
Most are for School Prayer in most cases.
Against the promotion of the Gay agenda.
Most want morality in our society and critics (wrongly) charge that Evangelicals want to establish a Theocracy in America.
Most believe the elites are pushing America further into Secularism.

Otoh, Evangelicals have organized to fight poverty, Aids and protecting the Environment.

Evangelicals can be (but not always) charismatic and we see some evangelicals on tv on Sundays. When I say Charismatic, I'm talking about speaking in tongues, lots of praise singing, etc. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but I dont belong to that group. My Church is a little more of a Fundamentalist group.

My personal belief is that if you believe and embrace that Jesus Christ was the son of God, who came to the world in human form, was crucified and raised on the thrd day and saved the world from its sins...and if you will accept what he is offering...then you are Christian. All that other stuff...traditions, etc, is fine with me if thats what you wanna do.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:25 am

Dennis324 wrote:*
The non-Protestant should understand, however, that theres a difference between Baptists, for example...and Southern Baptists. A difference between Presbyterian USA and the Presbyterian Church of America. (PCA). Christian groups are divided up into sets and subsets and we dont have 1 single governing body which prescribes what we are gonna do.

Sorry, I read this and just had to post this:

:-P
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Is that "Life of Brian"?
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:17 am

Dennis324 wrote:Is that "Life of Brian"?

Yup! Best religious movie ever made.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down