Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deadly Frozen Smog Closes In On Beijing

2 posters

Go down

Deadly Frozen Smog Closes In On Beijing Empty Deadly Frozen Smog Closes In On Beijing

Post by Bryant Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 am

Deadly Frozen Smog Closes In On Beijing
Posted by Dan Satterfield
American Geophysical Union Blog

Deadly Frozen Smog Closes In On Beijing 2013112183229670734_20

Temps in Beijing are running around -5C and visibility is less than 200 meters in places. There is a large high pressure system over the region that is causing a strong temperature inversion. This means the air aloft is warmer than the air at the surface so smoke and soot from factories and trucks gets trapped over the city. A blob of warm smoke from a factory smoke stack will begin to rise because it is warmer than the air around it, but it suddenly reaches a level where the air around it is actually warmer and therefore it sinks back down over the city.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Deadly Frozen Smog Closes In On Beijing Empty Re: Deadly Frozen Smog Closes In On Beijing

Post by Dennis324 Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:14 am

I saw this on Fox news tonight. Air pollution is a major problem in China due to the country's rapid pace of industrialization, reliance on coal power, explosive growth in vehicle ownership and disregard for environmental laws, with development often taking priority over health. The pollution typically gets worse in the winter because of an increase in coal burning.

I just wonder if they have many environmental laws over there anyway. You know, I'm afraid to eat fish that came from China because of how nasty the stuff is. Fish farms are often pared with chicken farms. The chicken pens are right over the watcher and when they crap, it goes right into the water. pale

Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down