Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenic in Rice?

4 posters

Go down

Arsenic in Rice? Empty Arsenic in Rice?

Post by Dennis324 Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 am

I wouldnt give this much thought except for the source.

Arsenic in Rice: New Report Finds 'Worrisome Levels'

A major consumer magazine is warning Americans to limit how much rice they eat because of concerns over arsenic.

According to a sobering report released to "Good Morning America" by Consumer Reports magazine this morning, rice eaten just once a day can drive arsenic levels in the human body up 44 percent. Rice eaten twice a day can lead to a 70 percent increase in arsenic.

Consumer Reports tested many forms of rice for arsenic, from cereal for babies and adults, to brown and white whole grain, pasta and drinks. More than 60 rice and rice products were tested overall, including name brands. The researchers also found geographical distinctions in arsenic levels, with white rice grown in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas, containing higher levels than rice samples from other parts of the country. Those four states account for 76 percent of domestic rice produced.

Rats! I love rice! Now I got to worry about this stuff killing me? Cancer runs in my family. As well as heart disease, diabetes and alzhiemer's. So I try to be pretty careful about what to eat. No more bacon or sausage due to nitrates (cancer). Severely cut back on diet sodas coz that stuff will kill ya too. So I thought eating my fish, veggies and rice would be healthy.

Oh yeah...fish has mercury in it.

*Sigh*
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Arsenic in Rice? Empty Re: Arsenic in Rice?

Post by Bryant Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 pm

I imagine it depends where the food is from. Some parts of Asia have high arsenic concentrations in various alluvial deposits. Bio-accumulation of mercury in fish is dependent on location. Most of my Sierra Nevada trout should have very low mercury levels, while many Montana fish are dangerous to eat. I'd imagine Sacramento rice (yep, we grow rice in California too) would be low in As, but I could be mistaken.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Actually Bryant, y'all are the nation's leading producer in rice. We have dropped to like fifth or something since crawfish became so popular.

The arsenic is mainly in LA, AR, and TX. The LSU ag dept released studies spanning about 30 years in response to these allegations. Yes the arsenic levels are higher due to the Mississippi and other large waterways, moving sediment and pollutants through the area, but nothing has ever shown anything near harmful levels. LSU studies have and continue to recommend setting acceptable levels for consumption, but this has not been done yet. Maybe we will see the FDA finally check this out.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:52 am

Dennis324 wrote:So I try to be pretty careful about what to eat. No more bacon or sausage due to nitrates (cancer). Severely cut back on diet sodas coz that stuff will kill ya too. So I thought eating my fish, veggies and rice would be healthy.

*Sigh*

No bacon? Why bother trying to live a long life so? Everything will kill you if you eat too much of it, and everything will kill you in the end anyway. My motto is "eat healthy, exercise regularly, die anwyay".
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:59 am

Miles1 wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:So I try to be pretty careful about what to eat. No more bacon or sausage due to nitrates (cancer). Severely cut back on diet sodas coz that stuff will kill ya too. So I thought eating my fish, veggies and rice would be healthy.

*Sigh*

No bacon? Why bother trying to live a long life so? Everything will kill you if you eat too much of it, and everything will kill you in the end anyway. My motto is "eat healthy, exercise regularly, die anwyay".

I thought it was live fast, die young, and leave a pretty corpse.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:00 am

Marconius wrote:

Where's the fun in leaving a pretty corpse? I want ppl to look at me and go "daaam, he went out with a bang!"
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:40 am

Miles1 wrote:
Marconius wrote:

Where's the fun in leaving a pretty corpse? I want ppl to look at me and go "daaam, he went out with a bang!"

I get the feeling that if any of us in this group could acomplish that task, it would be you.

Somewhat of a wildman at times eh??? Very Happy
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:33 am

Miles1 wrote:

*Sigh*

I know...my dad and a lot of uncles and aunts did that. Actually once in a great while I sneak a bit of bacon and I absolutely LOVE sausages. But I'm so darn big and nothing I do seems to help. I watch my diet. I try to work out, but my feet and legs hurt so badly all the time. I dont have a pool or a bike. So I just try to keep watching what I eat. Its pretty depressing actually.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:19 am

Dennis324 wrote:I know...my dad and a lot of uncles and aunts did that. Actually once in a great while I sneak a bit of bacon and I absolutely LOVE sausages. But I'm so darn big and nothing I do seems to help. I watch my diet. I try to work out, but my feet and legs hurt so badly all the time. I dont have a pool or a bike. So I just try to keep watching what I eat. Its pretty depressing actually.

Here's a diet a friend of mine came up with a while ago. Take a bag of shrimp, leave it on your windowsill for a day in the sun, and then eat them. Is called the "dysentery diet", or "shit yourself thin"

:-P
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 pm

I love shrimp so much I might eat it even then. Lol!

Tonight I tried something different. I made Orzo! I had never made it before and really didnt know what I was doing. But I am so depressed about my weight and my inability to lose that I am going to try to cut waaaay back on some things...like olive oil. Olive oil is heart-healthy, but its still oil and has a lot of fat in it. So I suspect that may be culprit.

I got an electric steamer. Tonight I steamed some orzo with a bit of garlic, parsely and dry chicken bullion sprinkled in. It was soooooo good! I think it may very well replace rice in my diet.

I also steamed some salmon with a hawiian marinade over it. To the meal I added a recipe I got in my vegetarian cook book called Turkish white bean Stew (Great Northern beans, onions, carrots, celery, garlic,tomato paste, parsely, lemon and red pepper flakes). This I spooned over the orzo.

Man it was great! Also no added fat! I didnt use oil to cook my onions, veggies or salmon. I steamed it.

I dunno exactly the calories or the fat cunt, but it has to be healthy. I love that steamer and love the orzo.

Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:53 am

Dennis324 wrote:

I dunno exactly the calories or the fat cunt, but it has to be healthy. I love that steamer and love the orzo.

Smile

Who are you calling a fat cunt now? the guy who gave you the recipe? Razz
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum