Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Marconius

5 posters

Go down

For Marconius Empty For Marconius

Post by Dennis324 Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:03 am

For Marconius 2011-bama-national-champions

Roll Tide dude.

lol!
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

For Marconius Empty Re: For Marconius

Post by Miles1 Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:08 am

So by "sports" I assume we're allowed post stuff about games that the rest of the planet outside the US plays/gives a damn about? Razz
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:18 am

There are sports outsde the US? scratch
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:47 am

Dennis324 wrote:There are sports outsde the US? scratch

Yeah, you know that "world series" thing you have in baseball? That doesn't actually include any of the rest of the world.

Is OK tho, you're not the only place that doesn't share its games. We have our own sports here in ireland, including Hurling, which has been described as "a cross between lacrosse and warfare" :-P Is officially the fastest field game in the world, and is an amateur game - as in, all the players are only part-time and still have their own day jobs.

Seems you can't post clickable links here if you're a newbie so look at this vid on youtube: normal_youtube_url/watch?v=greFk6l8_hw

Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:26 am

Is Hurling the same thing as being..Out on the Tiles?

Wink

Just kidding. I actually keep 1 eye on the Irish soccer (football) team. Keep hoping they'll qualify for World Cup. Also saw a peculiar game from Ireland whereby lads would line the sides of a country lane and 1 guy would wind up and toss a steel ball-bearing down the road as far as possible. Actually look fun...just dont get hit. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:44 am

Dennis324 wrote:Is Hurling the same thing as being..Out on the Tiles?

No, hurling as the way you are thinking of it can be a result of being out on the tiles tho :-P

Just kidding. I actually keep 1 eye on the Irish soccer (football) team. Keep hoping they'll qualify for World Cup. Also saw a peculiar game from Ireland whereby lads would line the sides of a country lane and 1 guy would wind up and toss a steel ball-bearing down the road as far as possible. Actually look fun...just dont get hit. Smile

Well, the irish team finally qualified for the European Championships this year - first time we've made it to a major competition since 2004. And seeing as we have the world champions Spain in our group, chances are we won't last very long there.....

Ah, I know that game, can't think of what it's called now tho.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:50 am

Sounds like a game one would play with a pint in one hand tho. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Douglas J. Shireman Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Miles1 wrote:So by "sports" I assume we're allowed post stuff about games that the rest of the planet outside the US plays/gives a damn about? Razz

Sure miles, we all love river dancing over too Wink

Douglas J. Shireman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:49 am

Great thread!!! Kick me while I'm down why dontcha.

Seriously, I'm still waiting for my Tigers to show up in NOLA. That couldn't have been them, 'cause it didn't look like the same team that rolled through the toughest schedule since 1942.

Oh well, I knew we couldn't pull it off three times in a row even if the third was in our back yard.

Congrats Dennis. Enjoy the feeling. You are definitely one of the good 'Bama fans and I don't mind taking a little flack from you.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:34 am

DougFromATL wrote:
Sure miles, we all love river dancing over too Wink

Well, that's not actually a sport, but I appreciate the sentiment..... 👅
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:31 pm

FWIW, I did watch a bit of rugby yesterday. Tremendous athlete, but I'm gonna have to learn the rules. Some similarities to American football. It was fun, what little I did understand. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:09 am

Dennis324 wrote:FWIW, I did watch a bit of rugby yesterday. Tremendous athlete, but I'm gonna have to learn the rules. Some similarities to American football. It was fun, what little I did understand. Smile

Well, hope you're watching it later on today as well, Ireland V France int eh 5 Nations, should be a good game whatever teh result (obviously I'd be biased as to which side I think should win tho..... Razz ).

As for the rules thing, yeah, is the same when I was at an NFL game there a few months ago, saw lots of similarities but enough differences to really confuse me. What's with all that stopping and starting though eh? Took nearly 4hrs to play a 60-min game for god's sake! There's no flow to the game: as soon as someone touches the guy with the ball, it's reset time and back to the middle of the pitch to stand around for a minute or two while the TV networks have an ad break, then start over again. I've seen rugby plays go to the 20th or 25th phase before the ball is grounded - as in, the ball carrier is tackled, they go into the ruck, the ball is offloaded to another player, and play goes on.
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Six Nations: France v Ireland match called off 10 minutes before kick-off

The Six Nations game between France and Ireland was called off 10 minutes before kick-off because of freezing weather at the Stade de France.

Referee Dave Pearson decided that parts of the pitch at the stadium were frozen and not safe for the players and the game will now have to be rearranged.

The French capital has been suffering sub-zero temperatures all week.

Ireland coach Declan Kidney told the BBC that he agreed with the decision to call off the fixture.

"One particular corner of the pitch was quite dangerous to play on so I believe the referee took the right decision," said Kidney.

"The players were pumped up for it in the dressing room as the protocol of this competition demands that you prepare fully for the game.

"The boys were ready to go but sometimes you have to let your head rule your heart."

Six Nations officials have confirmed that the match would be staged during one of the tournament's break weekends, either February 18 and 19 or March 3 and 4.

Kidney and French coach Philippe Saint-Andre, discussed the conditions on the pitch with Pearson half an hour before kick off.

The temperature at kickoff, 2000 GMT, was minus-5 Celsius, with a wind chill of minus-11.

The pitch had passed an earlier inspection, but the referee then reversed his decision close to kick-off.

Huge jeers rang out at the sold-out Stade France as the players failed to take to the field, with a marching band in the middle ready to play the national anthems.

The stadium announcer was drowned out by the booing when he informed the crowd the match referee called off the game because the icy field was too dangerous to play on.

France captain Thierry Dusuatoir then took the microphone to address the fans.

"Thanks to everyone for coming to encourage us tonight, unfortunately the game has been called off," Dusautoir said.

"I hope you will all come and support us next time. The decision has been taken, and now we will prepare for the next time."

Both teams went out onto the filed to applaud the crowd, which did little to soften the blow.

It is the first time since 1985 that a Six Nations match has been called off because of adverse weather conditions.
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Miles1 wrote:
Dennis324 wrote:FWIW, I did watch a bit of rugby yesterday. Tremendous athlete, but I'm gonna have to learn the rules. Some similarities to American football. It was fun, what little I did understand. Smile

Well, hope you're watching it later on today as well, Ireland V France int eh 5 Nations, should be a good game whatever teh result (obviously I'd be biased as to which side I think should win tho..... Razz ).
RATS! I missed it. Did Ireland win? Maybe I'll get another chance to watch. Smile

Miles1 wrote:As for the rules thing, yeah, is the same when I was at an NFL game there a few months ago, saw lots of similarities but enough differences to really confuse me. What's with all that stopping and starting though eh? Took nearly 4hrs to play a 60-min game for god's sake! There's no flow to the game: as soon as someone touches the guy with the ball, it's reset time and back to the middle of the pitch to stand around for a minute or two while the TV networks have an ad break, then start over again.
Lol! Yep. tv ads are the worst.

In days of yore, the sports enthusiasts in your part of the world liked to joust. they suited up in shiny armor. They'd square off, run pell mell toward one another, smash into one another, then take a few moments to collect their wits, change ends and do it all over again. Great fun! (And if the fans were lucky, maybe a head or an eyeball would fly off into the crowd!) Lol!

In American football there are some similarities. We dress up in shiny colorful armor, square off and crash into one another, take a few moments, square off and do it all over again. Same thing only they took our weapons away from us and, in exchange, gave up cute little cheerleaders. Wink

Miles1 wrote: I've seen rugby plays go to the 20th or 25th phase before the ball is grounded - as in, the ball carrier is tackled, they go into the ruck, the ball is offloaded to another player, and play goes on.

In the old days (when I was a wee lad), when a runner on an American football team got knocked down, he could get up and keep running until he was actually pinned to the ground. Seriously! I saw people get legally tackled, squirm away, get up and run for a touchdown.

We introduced the forward pass decades ago. It was actually done by accident and they found there was no rule at the time to prevent it. It was seen by sportswriters and fans as so exciting that it was decided to include into the arsenal of offensive plays from then on. American football (as well as rugby I think) is seen as a sort of organized warfare between city states. The fwd pass is seen as a sort of missile striking deep into the heart of the enemy's territory.

Why do we stop the clock and get reset? Good question! I dunno. I always assumed Americans just couldn't get organized for the next play without doing that. Rugby players, otoh, dont waste as much time between plays talking trash and showing off in a P*ssing contest like American players do.

1 thing I've noticed is that in rugby, it appears that the way to begin the play is to have men from both sides square off against one another in a bit of a scrum, puching on one another as hard as they can. Then, a player rolls the ball (which is large and slightly rounder than the American football) underneath the scrum. Only he does so in such a way that he winds up rolling the ball...to himself! He then runs off like a scalded dawg until someone manages to stand him up, at which point he (laterals) the ball back to his mate. (Not a criticism mind you. Its fun to watch). Smile and they keep running down the field until they are pinned to the ground, turn the ball over, or score.

One question I have:

If there are no timeouts, or no stops to play in order to get repositioned for the next play, or if play continues until one of the above conditions occur...then when do they decide to kick?
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Marconius wrote:Great thread!!! Kick me while I'm down why dontcha.

Seriously, I'm still waiting for my Tigers to show up in NOLA. That couldn't have been them, 'cause it didn't look like the same team that rolled through the toughest schedule since 1942.

Oh well, I knew we couldn't pull it off three times in a row even if the third was in our back yard.

Congrats Dennis. Enjoy the feeling. You are definitely one of the good 'Bama fans and I don't mind taking a little flack from you.

Thanks. Feeling is mutual. Smile If its any consolation, we have a ton of rebuilding to do next season and it looks as if you guys are gonna dominate. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:02 am

Bryant wrote:Six Nations: France v Ireland match called off 10 minutes before kick-off

The Six Nations game between France and Ireland was called off 10 minutes before kick-off because of freezing weather at the Stade de France.

They may have decided 10 mins before the match to call it off but they only told the fans in the stadium about 2mins before kick-off - at which point some people already knew because they'd gotten text messages from people back home about it who had heard it on the TV coverage. A complete fiasco!
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 pm

What? A match was called off because of cold weather??? Are you serious?

I thought Rugby players were supposed to be tougher than American football players. We only (postpone) games if lightning is imminent. But we do play in icy conditions when necessary.

Laughing
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 am

Hell yeah!!! One of the greatest games of all time was the Ice Bowl. Rugby must be for pansies Rolling Eyes
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum