Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympics 2012

3 posters

Go down

Olympics 2012 Empty Olympics 2012

Post by avlgal Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:39 pm

I didn't see anything, but I could have missed it.... Anyone been watching the Olympics? I love watching them. Some sports more than others, of course. I don't always root for the USA, when it seems like a metal would mean more for an athlete or country. Any highlights you liked?

Michael Phelps got off to a rocky start, but ended up breaking an Olympic record for most number of career metals. Ryan Lockte, (sp) his team mate did pretty well. So many good swimmers! I thought the Australians didn't have a very strong showing for swimmers. China seems to be a real threat. (in many sports)

I love watching Oscar Pistoria from S.A. with prosthetic legs running. First time for regular Olympics. He was so gracious about the other athletes when asked. Those "special" stories are what make the Olympics special to me.

Surprises? The Chinese are such good divers. Yesterday an American won a Gold Metal in one of the diving sports. That was pretty cool.

The USA & Jamaica had many good runners. The women of the USA really rocked the Olympics this year! Woot! Yes, that woman from S.A did look rather manly, but I guess tests proved she's a woman... (I'm not sure I want to know those details!)

I enjoyed the opening ceremonies. What can I say... I'm cheesy. Yup, I'm going to watch the closing ceremonies tonight...
avlgal
avlgal

Back to top Go down

Olympics 2012 Empty Re: Olympics 2012

Post by Dennis324 Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:18 am

I watched some. I saw synchronized diving, swimming, women's gymnastics, a little track and field. Missed all of boxing. Missed cycling too and I kinda wanted to see both. Cared nothing about pro basketball that has infected the Olympics.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 am

Well, we had saturation coverage of it here, so was sort of hard to avoid - altho I did my best. Ireland came away with their biggest medals haul since 1956: 1 gold. 1 silver, 3 bronze, and all but 1 were in boxing (seems to be all we're good at when it comes to the olympics). Someone was saying on facebook that that's not a bad haul for a small country, until it was pointed out that Jamaica, hardly a huge country either, got nearly as many medals as our total in one race...... :-)
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 am

I bet you guys in Ireland had tourists up to your eyeballs this summer. Lol! Pushy Americans asking stupid questions and generally being our arrogant selves? Wink

You know (and I'm being serious for a sec), I'm not really surprised to learn that Ireland excelled in boxing. Seems to be one of the stereotypes I guess...the fightin' iriash, etc. Im sorry I missed all the boxing matches, though I did hear one of our American boxers didnt do so well.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by avlgal Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 am

I loved Eric Idle singing, "Always Look on The Bright Side of Life" during the closing ceremony! Some pretty wild stuff on that stage! Somehow I missed the synchronized swimming... I loved seeing all the athletes taking photos & videos at the closing ceremonies. You know it was an awesome experience for them!
avlgal
avlgal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:01 am

Dennis324 wrote:I bet you guys in Ireland had tourists up to your eyeballs this summer. Lol! Pushy Americans asking stupid questions and generally being our arrogant selves? Wink

No more than usual :-P

Our big advertising push this year was actually aimed towards londoners, to come to ireland to get away from the chaos and the disruption of the olympics:

You know (and I'm being serious for a sec), I'm not really surprised to learn that Ireland excelled in boxing. Seems to be one of the stereotypes I guess...the fightin' iriash, etc. Im sorry I missed all the boxing matches, though I did hear one of our American boxers didnt do so well.

Yeah, we also won in the equestrian event. The joke around here is that we're only good at 2 things: fightin' and ridin' :-P

("ridin'" being irish slang for sex, if you're not familiar with the term...)
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 pm

And drinking. (Ok, that was a low blow. Sorry. But at least we can out-eat anyone else in the world). Lol!

I'd have rather been in Ireland too. Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:12 pm

avlgal wrote:I loved Eric Idle singing, "Always Look on The Bright Side of Life" during the closing ceremony! Some pretty wild stuff on that stage! Somehow I missed the synchronized swimming... I loved seeing all the athletes taking photos & videos at the closing ceremonies. You know it was an awesome experience for them!
What in the world was with all those people on bicycles wearing pointy hats? That was one weird closing ceremony.

Best opening ceremony I ever saw was in Spain when a guy shot a flaming arrow across the stadium, way up over the torch and lit it! That was awsome! (Much better than pointy hats).

Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:36 am

Dennis324 wrote:And drinking. (Ok, that was a low blow. Sorry. But at least we can out-eat anyone else in the world). Lol!

Well, if drinking were an Olympic sport, at least we'd be assured of a medal there anyway... You could organize it like the track & field events:

- the sprint: fastest time to do say 15 shots and still be able to pronounce your own name
- the marathon: most drinks consumed in a 4h period
- the pentathlon: best time to drink X amount of wine, spirits, beer, whiskey and stout (not necessarily in that order - rules for this would need tweaking)
- the high jump: competitors have to do X shots and then climb on top of bar stools of increasing heights and do another shot on each.
- the 100m walk: competitors have to do say 10 shots and then it's the fastest time to walk along a straight line for 100m.
- the cycling: competitors do X shots, climb on a bike and then is the best time to go around the track once without falling off (if you fall off you go back to the start line)
- The endurance race: Competitors keep drinking pints and the one who can go the longest without going to the toilet wins the gold.

Razz
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:36 am

Ever seen the drill where baseball players will place stand a bat up on the ground, place your head on the end and spin around and around 20 times, hen try to walk? Do that after 10 shots and the one who can keep from tossing his cookies ....win! Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down