Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The River I grew up on.

4 posters

Go down

The River I grew up on. Empty The River I grew up on.

Post by Dennis324 Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:55 am

The River I grew up on. 1075395_521643851237304_857230490_o

I grew up on this River.  The Cahaba River is a critical habitat for the endangered Cahaba shiner, goldline darter, round rocksnail, and cylindrical lioplax (whatever that is).  The Cahaba River is the longest free-flowing river in Alabama and is among the most scenic and biologically diverse rivers in the United States.  The Cahaba Lily grows there and is found only in South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama.The River I grew up on. 284px-CahabaRiverNWR1

I've caught tons of catfish on this river but there are bass in there as well.  American Indians used to live and camp all along the baks of this river and I've dug up old arrowheads all over my grandpa's farm next to the river.  The Red Sticks (the Muscogee Creek People) lived all along this river and were part of the Creek Indian War.  They were in the Creek civil war and had resisted other Creek tribes who had proclaimed friendship to the American forces (who were already engaging in the war of 1812 against the British).  Then these renegades began attacking settlers in the area and wound up savagely massacred women and children at Ft Mims and that led Andrew Jackson to clearing out them out.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

The River I grew up on. Empty Re: The River I grew up on.

Post by Bryant Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Man, thats some muddy water! I bet the fall colors in those trees are amazing!
Bryant
Bryant
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Yep, sure is. Sometimes its green.  It used to stink from all the sewage going in when I was a kid.  I think they've cleaned it up since though.   Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Bryant wrote:Man, thats some muddy water!  I bet the fall colors in those trees are amazing!
Hehehehe, muddy water.

Ain't spent much time in the south, eh???

Beautiful river Dennis. All I got is a bayou running along the back border to my property.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:19 am

Its a small river.  I used to could throw a rock across it, but cant anymore coz I'm all old now.  I think they've cleaned it up quite a bit now but I wouldn't drink from it.  People get baptized in it, but I wouldn't do that either.  Lol!  (Though I used to swim in it).

Back in the 40s of 50s a neighbor caught a big ol sturgeon in it and had to tie it up to a log truck with chains to haul it out of the river. 

I read where  Tony Chachere's is made where you are.  I use that stuff religiously.  Great as a rib rub and on pork butts.  Smile
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:37 am

Yeah theyre all pretty much muddy in the south. Probably all the red clay

Sir Pun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 am

Dennis324 wrote:Its a small river.  I used to could throw a rock across it, but cant anymore coz I'm all old now.  I think they've cleaned it up quite a bit now but I wouldn't drink from it.  People get baptized in it, but I wouldn't do that either.  Lol!  (Though I used to swim in it).

Back in the 40s of 50s a neighbor caught a big ol sturgeon in it and had to tie it up to a log truck with chains to haul it out of the river. 

I read where  Tony Chachere's is made where you are.  I use that stuff religiously.  Great as a rib rub and on pork butts.  Smile
Yeah, I dated Tony's granddaughter for a while just before I met the lady that would become my wife. Look for Slap Yo Mamma. It is made in Ville Platte, a town just north. Better than Tony's IMHO.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:25 pm

I will!  They have a website and I  might order some.
Dennis324
Dennis324

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum