Whatever's Clever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland of the Welcomes

2 posters

Go down

Ireland of the Welcomes Empty Ireland of the Welcomes

Post by Miles1 Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Ireland of the Welcomes Empty Re: Ireland of the Welcomes

Post by Marconius Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:08 pm

I do take exception to the whole African-American thingy. What am I, Euro-American??? No. It is these little things, added up as a whole, that keep us divided. I don't have any African-American friends. The term doesn't exist outside of PC northeast and west coast. Here, my friends are just black dudes.

Surprised that he was treated that way in Ireland. With the Big O love feelings y'all have, I thought it would carry over. I wonder if those young dudes were just trying to be "down" and screwed it all up.
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Marconius wrote:I do take exception to the whole African-American thingy. What am I, Euro-American???

No, but you could be Italian-American, Irish-American, French-American, German-American, Greek-American..... :-P

Surprised that he was treated that way in Ireland. With the Big O love feelings y'all have, I thought it would carry over. I wonder if those young dudes were just trying to be "down" and screwed it all up.

Heh, doesn't mater what color the Big O was, it was the fact that he was famous, powerful and at least a little bit realted to sopme of us that mattered. We did the same for Reagan when he came over to find his ancestors. Hell, if George W Bush had claimed some irish ancestry and came to visit, we probably woudl ahve loved him as well. We're all a bit mercenary over here really :-p

And anyway, Irish ppl can be quite racist as well. Up until the early-to-mid 1990s, Ireland was pretty much still 99% white & catholic (well, lip service to the catholicism anyway), and so we never really had much experience with other cultures. As a result, the older generation especially would be what you'd call "casually racist", with a lot of suspicion against anyone different, especially "de black fellas" - the first generation of non-whites to arrive here would have been Nigerian asylum seekers who gained a reputation for coming over here to milk our generous social welfare system, so that didn't really help with "race relations". Is only in the last 10 years or so that you could say that ireland is in any way getting to be multi-cultural, the older generation of Irish people can be generally suspicious of anyone foreign (except the yanks and maybe the brits, and that's cos we're used to ye). And that can rub off on the younger generation as well, especially in the country which still wouldn't see very many, well, "non-locals".
Miles1
Miles1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Miles1 wrote:
Marconius wrote:I do take exception to the whole African-American thingy. What am I, Euro-American???

No, but you could be Italian-American, Irish-American, French-American, German-American, Greek-American..... :-P

Heh, doesn't mater what color the Big O was, it was the fact that he was famous, powerful and at least a little bit realted to sopme of us that mattered. We did the same for Reagan when he came over to find his ancestors. Hell, if George W Bush had claimed some irish ancestry and came to visit, we probably woudl ahve loved him as well. We're all a bit mercenary over here really :-p

And anyway, Irish ppl can be quite racist as well. Up until the early-to-mid 1990s, Ireland was pretty much still 99% white & catholic (well, lip service to the catholicism anyway), and so we never really had much experience with other cultures. As a result, the older generation especially would be what you'd call "casually racist", with a lot of suspicion against anyone different, especially "de black fellas" - the first generation of non-whites to arrive here would have been Nigerian asylum seekers who gained a reputation for coming over here to milk our generous social welfare system, so that didn't really help with "race relations". Is only in the last 10 years or so that you could say that ireland is in any way getting to be multi-cultural, the older generation of Irish people can be generally suspicious of anyone foreign (except the yanks and maybe the brits, and that's cos we're used to ye). And that can rub off on the younger generation as well, especially in the country which still wouldn't see very many, well, "non-locals".

I like the novel term......American.

Damn, I never knew all that. I guess I shoulda. All insulated societies are pretty much like that. While we do not feel the same about minorities, we do mistrust and dislike all outsiders.......unless you are just here for a visit......don't try to stay though :-p
Marconius
Marconius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down